Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#24530 - 10/01/2001 13:54 What to do with the PIN
ernestp
journeyman

Loc: San Diego,Ca USA
Hello Empeg'ers

I am the very proud owner of a 34 gig Empeg player and I"m down to my last ~4.0 gigs. I've been ripping/mp3'ing my CD collection like crazy.
My question is: What is the best way to handle/use the PIN # on the empeg for searching a huge CD collection. I intrested in the usage of my fellow empe'rs with the PIN # system.

MkII Serial # 080000457

#24531 - 10/01/2001 14:09 Re: What to do with the PIN [Re: ernestp]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Congratulations on your new player!

I know that several people will chime in here and give you their favorite PIN number schemes. I just wanted to say that it's possible to use the empeg just great without ever using the PIN fields at all. The searching and navigation functions are quite well done.

Just make sure that you have all of the ID3 tags filled out properly as you rip your collection. Look in the FAQ section of the BBS and read the entries on filenames/tags.

#24532 - 10/01/2001 19:01 Re: What to do with the PIN [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

When I first started, I had PINs assigned to major categories, genres and specific playlists that I would use very frequently. Artists were done in a fashion using the first two digits of the pin to represent the letter of the artist (01-26) and the second digits for the specific artist. Mixes and favorites were 00xx.

In my specific case, even though I programmed them in, I haven't used the PINs at all! With a little creative playlist design, it is actually faster to find those specific items from the menus than it is to go to the PIN.

As to the tags, make certain that they are correct, have all of the information you can possibly put in them, double and triple check them. It will make things much easier for you later on. Also, you may want to layout your basic directory structure / playlist structure now on your hard drive. This way, you can drag and drop it into emplode and let it do all of your grunt work for you. Then you can fine tune and add additional playlists from there.

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Green)