Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25300 - 20/01/2001 17:17 Empeg has problems with Emusic files?
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
Hi... I've searched the past posts and can't find any reference to this. I have purchased many MP3s from eMusic.com. While the bit rate leaves much to be desired (128k) some of these tracks are not available else where... They play fine in Winamp... on my Nomad II MG... just about anything else, except the Empeg.

On the Empeg, the right channel "warbles", and occasionally screeches. I feared this might be the dreaded bad RAM, but this only happens with eMusic's MP3s. I have decoded/recoded some tracks (I know... bad bad) and this fixes the right channel problem...

My question is why is the Empeg more sensitive to whatever flaw exists in these MP3s? Does anyone know exactly what this flaw is? I would like to find out so I can tell eMusic when I complain about the low bitrate.

Also... what do you guys recommend I use to fix these files? I tried MP3-Tag Studio to no avail. Does anyone know of a good batch decoder/encoder? I use EAC and LAME to rip my CDs. Anyone know of a safe, high quality way to use these in batch mode... possibly minimizing any degradation?

Please help me, Empeg BBS... you're my only hope.

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#25301 - 21/01/2001 08:35 Re: Empeg has problems with Emusic files? [Re: bootsy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Assuming these eMusic files are genuine MP3s...

Check them in MP3Trim and see if it reports any problems with them. If not, then you can look and see if you've got RAM problems by doing the RAM test.

If the files themselves are the source of the problem, then hang on to a copy of at least one of the "bad" files. If the file still produces a problem on the upcoming version 1.1 of the empeg software, then send it to the Empeg folks so that they can debug it.

#25302 - 21/01/2001 10:04 Re: Empeg has problems with Emusic files? [Re: bootsy]
Kit
journeyman

Loc: San Diego, CA US
Yes I have experienced the same problem. Emusic encoded their clips with an older version of Xing. It is my understanding that they have re-ripped their entire archive to wav and are evaluating various other encoders to re-encode all of their music with (perhaps at 192 Kbps).

I believe it may have something to do with them being encoded in joint-stereo mode.

#25303 - 21/01/2001 13:24 Re: Empeg has problems with Emusic files? [Re: bootsy]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
This sounds like the Joint Stereo problem a few encoders had about a year or so back. Did you rip these yourself, or download them in this state?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#25304 - 21/01/2001 14:17 Re: Empeg has problems with Emusic files? [Re: schofiel]
bootsy
enthusiast

Thanks guys... I'll try MP3Trim and see if it works. The best answer would be if Emusc would re-rip these at a better bit rate. Where did you hear they were going to do so, Kit? I signed up for the subscription account, since that is a distribution method I would like to support. Not if the quality is this low, however...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#25305 - 21/01/2001 23:20 Re: Empeg has problems with Emusic files? [Re: bootsy]
Kit
journeyman

Loc: San Diego, CA US
I took part in some Emusic customer satisfaction survery, and when I complained about the mp3 quality they told me they were aware of the problems and had already ripped all of their collection to wav to prepare for a re-encode. This was a few months ago.

Some tracks seem worse off than others. With some of the bad tracks you can :

* Use lame or some other encoder to re-encode the mp3. I found that if I use lame and encode back to mono I ended up with a better sounding clip. (Yech..)

* Use napster and find a better version of the track you payed for..

#25306 - 22/01/2001 05:56 Re: Empeg has problems with Emusic files? [Re: Kit]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Okay, so there's definitely a problem with the encoder they used to make these files. But like the original post said, the files play fine on WinAmp or on the Nomad. So I think it's fair to ask Empeg to do their best to try to make 1.1 play these files.

#25307 - 22/01/2001 13:40 Update... [Re: tfabris]
bootsy
enthusiast

Okay I gave MP3Trim a shot. It complained about "one or more missing frame headers" and stated the file "might be corrupted." Following the prompt I "Save As" and compared. Still does the same thing on the Empeg, but the fixed file sounds screwed up in WinAmp now.

I think I will try to hold out for either v1.1 or Emusic to repost better files before re-encoding (ick.) Thanks for the help guys. Good to hear Emusic is aware of this problem... I might have to add my voice to the nagging.

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."