Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#28630 - 27/03/2001 14:45 Empeg & Linux Desktop Computers
greggerm
journeyman

Loc: Rhode Island
Hey all..
I am debating switching from a Win2K box over to a Linux box (Slack, RH, or 'Drake.. undecided now). One of the big sticking points is the availability of a linux-based "Emplode" program.

I have seen emptools kicking around, and I was wondering how it is used! Is it as nice as the Windows utilities? Is it restricted to serial, or can it use ethernet?

Basically - does someone out there have a HOWTO on it?!

Thanks all!

---- - --- - --- - -- -- - - - - - -
greggerm 09000991

#28631 - 27/03/2001 15:15 Re: Empeg & Linux Desktop Computers [Re: greggerm]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
This doesn't directly answer your question, but if you have the cash ($299), VMware (www.vmware.com) will run Windows 2000 inside your Linux box. At that point you could just run Emplode from in there. I do the opposite, I run the Windows version of VMware and run RedHat inside the emulated machine. Sounds like you just want Win2K for Emplode, so why not try that? Has anyone else gotten this to work?

-Tony
MkII #554

#28632 - 27/03/2001 15:22 Re: Empeg & Linux Desktop Computers [Re: greggerm]
synergy
enthusiast

In reply to:

I am debating switching from a Win2K box over to a Linux box (Slack, RH, or 'Drake.. undecided now). One of the big sticking points is the availability of a linux-based "Emplode" program.

I have seen emptools kicking around, and I was wondering how it is used! Is it as nice as the Windows utilities? Is it restricted to serial, or can it use ethernet?

Basically - does someone out there have a HOWTO on it?!

Debian... you NEED debian.

ok... Anyways. There is the emptools, which are quite functional... From a UNIX standpoint. They are commandline/ftp style. No Gui. Me... I like them as I can do batch operations with them quite easily

There is also the Java Emplode, which while not quite the same as the Windows version, is quite functional. You can download it and run it on Windows to get a feel for it before you switch.. It's identical on both OS's...

Ethernet is no problem. USB, I'm not too sure about since I haven't bothered to use it, given the ethernet capabilities.

#28633 - 27/03/2001 20:23 Re: Empeg & Linux Desktop Computers [Re: greggerm]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Installing jEmplode is the easy part. Installation and configuration of linux will be the bigger challenge. Installing jEmplode from the archive had a couple of glitches. Solved and Reported in earlier messages.

Except for having to use a winbox to set my empeg's to a static IP, jEmplode under linux, is the only thing I have used to talk to my empeg.

From the strict standpoint of "Does it do the job?" It works great.Connecting, downloading the database and syncronizing changes have worked flawlessly for me. Except that one time I uploaded a whole folder of binaries by mistake. My own fault that.

There is some room for improvement. Player configuration doesn't exist, and there is some confusion in the gui over the difference between navagating folders vs. selecting one and having the contents uploaded.

I use an ethernet crossover cable and talk from my laptop directly to the empeg. Serial works fine also. My biggest challenge was learning how to setup all the networking configuration files. (There are two adaptors in my system, one for the empeg and other local hardware, the other reaches out to the world.)

If you decide to go Linux I'll help as much a possible. My memory is fair but its not up to writing a detailed HOWTO.

Linux is a kick, The culture is more like when everyone was homebuilding S-100 bus computers and using cpm for an os.

Edited by gbeer on 28/03/01 04:29 AM.

#28634 - 28/03/2001 05:48 Re: Empeg & Linux Desktop Computers [Re: greggerm]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
The simplest solution (and the one I use) is this:

Run two (or more) computers. Seriously. Then use VNC to control the Linux box from the Windows box.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg