Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#29687 - 18/04/2001 16:52 Empeg not working
akeller
new poster

My empeg will not synchronise... It stalls at checking disk integrity. I can't get any songs onto my player even if i try one at a time. Any suggestions???? Please???????

Adam Keller

#29688 - 18/04/2001 17:25 Re: Empeg not working [Re: akeller]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Have you upgraded it to the latest 1.02 software?

#29689 - 18/04/2001 19:12 Re: Empeg not working [Re: tfabris]
akeller
new poster

I tried loading the software on my computer but I do not know if you are supposed to load it onto the empeg. When I use the upgrade feature of the software it does not let me do it. Is there a way to reset everything on the computer and the empeg and start over? I need to re-organise my songs anyways.

#29690 - 18/04/2001 20:15 Re: Empeg not working [Re: akeller]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
You need to download Emplode AND the player update. perform the Emplode install and then update the Empeg. If you have trouble there are details in the FAQ sheet.

#29691 - 18/04/2001 21:17 Re: Empeg not working [Re: akeller]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I tried loading the software on my computer but I do not know if you are supposed to load it onto the empeg. When I use the upgrade feature of the software it does not let me do it.

Hmm. It's hard to tell what you're doing from your descriptions, we're going to need a little more detail.

First things first: Check the version number of the player software on the empeg itself. Do this by using its front-panel buttons: Press the bottom button, scroll to "about" and press the bottom button. Note the version number displayed, then press the top button. If it did not say "version 1.02", then grab "car2-consumer-v1.02.upgrade" (click on that link) and put it somewhere safe on your hard disk.

Then check the version number of the emplode synchronization software. Run emplode (I assume that you can at least connect to the car player, right?), and select help/about. Note the version number, then exit the emplode program. If emplode's version number didn't say "1.02", then grab "emplode-v1.02.exe" (click on that link), and put that in the same place as you put the upgrade file.

Now locate and run the "emplode-v1.02.exe" program you just downloaded. It should install the latest emplode software for you. Note: if you had an older version of the software, this new one will probably put its icon in a different place in the Start menu (old=empeg, new=rio). Make sure you know the difference between the old one and the new one.

Now unplug the power cable from the car player. Find the serial cable that came in the box with it, and connect the player to your computer with the serial cable. Make sure you know which COM port you've plugged the serial cable into (COM1, COM2, COM3...?). Leave the power to the car player unplugged.

Locate the file you just downloaded called "car2-consumer-v1.02.upgrade". You should be able to double-click on this file, and it should attempt to upgrade your car player. Follow the on screen instructions. Eventually, you will get to a screen that tells you to "apply power to the player now". Do what it says (plug in the power to the car player).

If all goes well, you should see it upgrading your player. This will take a few minutes.

When it's done you will be fully upgraded, both the emplode synchronization software, and the empeg-car player software itself. See if everything works now.

If everything does not work, then you can send a message to the empeg support people and/or tell us here. Please give as many precise details about the problem as possible. Include your operating system, a description of the computer's specs (RAM, disk space, CPU?), the way you've hooked things up (serial, usb?), the exact keystrokes and mouse actions you're doing, and the exact text of any error messages that appear.

Is there a way to reset everything on the computer and the empeg and start over? I need to re-organise my songs anyways.

The procedure I just outlined should reset the installed software. It won't hurt your songs, and you should not need to erase the songs to make everything work.

#29692 - 19/04/2001 00:13 Re: Empeg not working [Re: tfabris]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
if the empeg is behaving all right the rest of the time i might have a suspision at it being your comuter not the empeg

this is total guess work

#29693 - 19/04/2001 02:26 Re: Empeg not working [Re: akeller]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Are you sure it stalls? It can spend a long time doing a disk integrity check on a big player - like half an hour sometimes.

Hugo

#29694 - 19/04/2001 06:58 Re: Empeg not working [Re: altman]
akeller
new poster

When I check the status by pressing ctrl alt del it says "Emplode (not responding)" I guess I did not know that it can take up to a half an hour either. It is an 18 gb player, but only has like 700 songs. It used to fly right through it, then it would work only sometimes, not it alwys stalls. I guess it could be just checking, but would it say not responding?

Adam

#29695 - 19/04/2001 08:06 Re: Empeg not working [Re: akeller]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
You could stick your ear up to the empeg and listen if the disk is being accessed.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#29696 - 19/04/2001 08:59 Re: Empeg not working [Re: akeller]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Yes it would say not responding. Emplode (in v1.02) is only a single-threaded application. So, if it's busy, it will show up as not responding.

Emplode v1.1, on the other hand, is multi-threaded, so it has the opposite problem: It'll always show up as responding, even if it has gone horribly wrong.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#29697 - 19/04/2001 12:48 Re: Empeg not working [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
The procedure I just outlined should reset the installed software

Tony --

This is an exceptionally good post. May I suggest that it is worthy of being included in the FAQ listings?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#29698 - 19/04/2001 12:50 Re: Empeg not working [Re: thinfourth2]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
if the empeg is behaving all right the rest of the time i might have a suspision at it being your comuter not the empeg

Uhhh, yeah. What he said.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#29699 - 19/04/2001 13:14 Re: Empeg not working [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

This is an exceptionally good post. May I suggest that it is worthy of being included in the FAQ listings?

Hmmm. If I FAQed it, I'd have to change the direct file links in the the text, and that's one of the things I'd rather not change 'cause it makes it easier for a newbie to follow. I'll think about it.

#29700 - 19/04/2001 22:26 Re: Empeg not working [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Sorry Tony, I assumed that there was a FAQ on this type of operation. Next time I'll check. Once again you win the informative response award