Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#32886 - 18/06/2001 14:13 Playback Skips While "Tweaking" Playlist
anewsome
new poster

Loc: California, US
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem...

As you can see from my previous post, I have about 3,800 songs on my 60GB Rio. I I usually listen to the player in shuffle mode of all songs. I think the "tweak" playlist feature is really cool. So if I hear a song with genre = alternative,.. and I'm in an alternative mood, I'll hit the Genre button on the remote a few times to tweak the playlist and make sure that the next few songs are alternative.

Same thing for Artist. If a Steely Dan song comes on,.. I'll hit the artist button a few times to tweak in a little Steely Dan.

Problem is that this causes the player to skip,.. interupting the audio output, which is quite annoying.

Anyone know how to fix this or at least make it less noticeable. I imagine this is only going to get worse as the 60GB gets close to full.

Thanks, Aaron Newsome

[stop the technology madness]

#32887 - 18/06/2001 14:19 Re: Playback Skips While "Tweaking" Playlist [Re: anewsome]
drakino
carpal tunnel

This problem will be fixed in the much anticipated 1.1 software. Basicially, all the threads the player spawns are at high priority right now. 1.1 is going to only put the ones that need high priority at that setting, and let the rest use the 70% or so idle time to do what they need.

(And for future reference, this thread has all the known 1.1 software improvements.)

Edited by Drakino on 18/06/01 10:21 PM.

#32888 - 18/06/2001 15:14 Re: Playback Skips While "Tweaking" Playlist [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
For the record, 1.1 is much better about keeping the tweaks/shuffles in a different thread, but it's not 100 percent perfect. If the player is under caching stress (i.e., it's hitting the hard drive to get new data) and you tweak/shuffle, it will still have a brief pause. But it's much better than it was in 1.0x, and if the disk isn't being hit when you tweak, there's no pause.

#32889 - 19/06/2001 02:26 Re: Playback Skips While "Tweaking" Playlist [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
...and this is a bug which will hopefully be fixed when 1.1 is released; the plan is not to have any audio interruption at all.

Hugo

#32890 - 19/06/2001 09:41 Re: Playback Skips While "Tweaking" Playlist [Re: altman]
Sheetzam

Loc: Annandale, VA
Anewsome, I just want to be sure you caught what just happened: THE GUY behind the empeg (or at least the main guy) just responded to your question. If you haven't figured it out yet, the Rio Car player has the best support of any device of this type there is, as exemplified by Hugo's personal attention to your question. Obviously you know just how amazing the player is now that you own one, and I hope you begin to understand the community behind it is equally amazing. And no, this message wasn't just written just to you, but to anyone who might stop by with a mind toward purchasing one. One piece of advice though, exercise patience when getting excited about the new features coming. If you've read any part of this board, you will see that there are a lot of nice features just over the horizon, but they will stay there (with no specific date revealed!) until the bugs are worked out.

#32891 - 20/06/2001 07:43 Re: Playback Skips While "Tweaking" Playlist [Re: altman]
rmitz

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Let's not delay 1.1betas for stuff like that, though, okay? ;)

Fly me to the moon...