Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#41445 - 12/10/2001 06:26 Help!
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA (formerly Houston,...
Why does it seem like things always go wrong at just the wrong time? I'm leaving (in 4 hours) on a 26 hr car trip over the next several days and having the empeg is critical to my sanity. I was syncronizing the unit this morning (I added songs and told the unit that I have a sony stalk attached) and the syncronization process failed during stage 10 (Downloading - Geting player configuration) with the error 0xffffff (Operation not permitted). It now does this everthing I sync, even if I change nothing. It still seems to play alright, but this irks me. Maybe I should reupgrade to 1.03, but that would overwrite various stuff I've done that I've forgotten how I did (voladj, displayserver, etc.). What do you think?

- John

30 GB - Mk2a (Rio Car) - BLUE / RED

#41446 - 12/10/2001 06:42 Re: Help! [Re: johnmcd3]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Ok, now I've also made it fail at stage 12 (syncronizing - Getting disk space info). But I have over a gig free, and just to be sure I deleted some stuff (didn't help)

#41447 - 12/10/2001 06:46 Re: Help! [Re: johnmcd3]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

oooo back to the first error, but this time when the error occured, the empeg appeared to reboot-- did I just crash the empeg? Ok if I reflash the kernel with the same set of patches (voladj, dispserver ir thing,...) what else will I have to do with regard to those two programs? Displayserver has to be reinstalled right, but voladj will keep working?

#41448 - 12/10/2001 10:10 Re: Help! [Re: johnmcd3]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Reflashing it with 1.03 will probably not fix your synch error.

Reflashing will disable displayserver, which might be a good idea-- you don't need displayserver for your trip and it's beta software which means it could theoretically be contributing to your problem (although there's no evidence of that, I'm just saying that when diagnosing trouble it's good practice to remove beta software from the equation).

If you wish to re-add the voladj kernel after re-installing 1.03, you can do that. You won't be able to turn it off, but that's actually fine for me in most cases. I've gone on long road trips with voladj activated 100 percent of the time.