Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#44283 - 30/10/2001 14:37 Some questions about the sony stalk controller
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I've read multiple posts of people who are using the sony stalk controller with their Empeg, and I started to get interested because I want to use the buttons on the Empeg unit itself as little as possible. I believe those would be the first to go when it comes to wear & tear.

The sonicblue website makes mention of two types, the RM2XS and the RM4XS. I can't find any info on them on the Sony site. What is the difference between them? Which one works best?

Also, will I need to install the tuner module to be able to use those remotes? I have such a module, no problem, but I have no need to install it yet : my empeg is connected via my Pioneer headunit, which has a tuner. I merely purchased the tuner module for future upgrading (read : another car). i don't want to install it unless I really have to. It makes no sense to have two tuners in your car.
Is there a way to make those stalk controllers work with the empeg unit without having to install the tuner module?

#44284 - 30/10/2001 14:57 Re: Some questions about the sony stalk controller [Re: BartDG]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The sonicblue website makes mention of two types, the RM2XS and the RM4XS. I can't find any info on them on the Sony site.

You can get at least one of them at Crutchfield if you're in the US. I don't know the difference between the two.

Also, will I need to install the tuner module to be able to use those remotes?

Yes.

Is there a way to make those stalk controllers work with the empeg unit without having to install the tuner module?

Yes, but it requires building your own serial-port interface with a PIC controller and blowing an EPROM with code. Since you already have a tuner module, that's much easier.

#44285 - 30/10/2001 15:30 Re: Some questions about the sony stalk controller [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
You can get at least one of them at Crutchfield if you're in the US. I don't know the difference between the two.

True. In the meantime I found info on the RM4XS on their site. No mention of the RM2XS though. But since I don't live in the US it doesn't really matter.

it requires building your own serial-port interface with a PIC controller and blowing an EPROM with code. Since you already have a tuner module, that's much easier

Eh...point taken.

#44286 - 30/10/2001 16:01 Re: Some questions about the sony stalk controller [Re: BartDG]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Hello,

I think RM4XS is a typo. Try RM-X4S. RM-X2S = older. Crutchfield has 'em for list price, and sounddomain.com has 'em considerably cheaper.

Search here for some links to pre-tuner Sony hookups. I'm in the same boat, but agree that having a vestigial tuner would be much less of a headache. Hey, I gotta user that tuner somewhere!

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.