Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#47746 - 24/11/2001 17:52 Should I wait?
Captain_Chaos

Loc: Amersfoort, The Netherlands
I really want to buy some kind of remote MP3 player like the Rio Receiver or the Audiotron for my living room and bedroom, but I keep reading hints that Empeg may be working on something similar or related. Should I wait and see, and if so, for how long? If not, which would you guys recommend, the Rio Receiver or the Audiotron, or a different one?

Also, does anyone know where I can get either of them in the Netherlands?

#47747 - 24/11/2001 22:28 Re: Should I wait? [Re: Captain_Chaos]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'd wait until at least some time in Janurary for something like this (after Christmas and after CES). Unless you need something right now and are happy with what one of the current units offer.

I see the Rio Receiver is only USD$170 at the eStrore right now. I still think it would be a cool idea to use an empeg with some alternate software for this purpose. :) Of course that's just an added bonus for whomever already has one. Buying something designed only for remote playback, like the Receiver makes a lot more sense when you look at the relatively low prices.

Bruno

#47748 - 25/11/2001 02:30 Re: Should I wait? [Re: Captain_Chaos]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
RioReceiver is a pretty damn cheap box, why not grab one anyway, there are a few issues with the software, but I am pretty confident the empeg guys are going to take a look at the software after Xmas is over and done with.

#47749 - 25/11/2001 07:54 Re: Should I wait? [Re: Captain_Chaos]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I really want to buy some kind of remote MP3 player like the Rio Receiver or the Audiotron for my living room and bedroom, but I keep reading hints that Empeg may be working on something similar or related. Should I wait and see, and if so, for how long?

All the hints that have been dropped by the people here, and the CEO in an interview point to a more expensive unit that will also rip/encode your music, store it internally, and serve the RioReciever. Another feature I believe it will have is the ability to sync music to the Rio devices, hopefully including the empeg. I'm not sure of other features beyond that, but existing ones on the market have features like CD burning, internet radio and other things.

Depending on your existing setup, buying one of these plus a RioReciever might be best, or just buying two RioRecievers. With Rob's hint about CES, the device should be shown there, and would probably go into production soon after.

#47750 - 26/11/2001 14:23 Re: Should I wait? [Re: drakino]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
In reply to:

and the CEO in an interview point to a more expensive unit that will also rip/encode your music, store it internally, and serve the RioReciever

I hope it will do more than that...I already have one of those (my pc)

I would bet the empeg crew has something big up thier sleeves. I better start saving up.

#47751 - 26/11/2001 14:28 Re: Should I wait? [Re: morrisdl]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I hope it will do more than that...I already have one of those (my pc)

And you could run a PC-based MP3 player from your car's trunk, too. The empeg just does it better and more reliably.

You could use a PC in any room of your house to play networked MP3 files. But the Rio Receiver does it better and more simply (and without any fan noise).

These products aren't about doing things you can't do with a PC, they're about doing the same thing in a much more convenient, more reliable, more feature-rich, and more compact package.