Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#50467 - 18/12/2001 09:43 Carrying cases not available in US?
ClownBurner

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
Hello all!

I just recieved a brand new Mk2a player, and I'm ecstatic. Interestingly, it did not have a serial number sticker on the player, but it did have one in the box. Hmm.

Anyway, the real point of this is that I would like to get a carrying case. I can find them in the UK store, ready and waiting, but not in the US online store. Can the UK store ship to the US (it's not an option on their site) or is there some other way to get the case???

All help appreciated.

#50468 - 18/12/2001 11:12 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: ClownBurner]
insightful
new poster

Loc: Maine, USA
If you don't care about having the empeg logo on the case, you might look into an R/C transmitter case. I think the foam cutout should be just about the right size for the empeg, and they definitely offer more protection than the nylon case.

There are a number of different sizes and styles at:
Tower Hobbies
Just search for "transmitter case".

-Jeff

#50469 - 18/12/2001 11:19 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: insightful]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Good idea. A couple other alternatives for carrying cases are discussed in the FAQ.

#50470 - 18/12/2001 11:40 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: ClownBurner]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Serial number may be on the underside - the sticker was too big for the back I think.

Hugo

#50471 - 18/12/2001 12:50 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: ClownBurner]
Fastrack

Loc: Toronto, Ontario Canada
I got my Rio about a month ago. And also wondered where the serial# was! It's actually on the bottom of the player not in the "serial # box"

If you need to access it, the serial # is also in the About box on the player

#50472 - 18/12/2001 14:24 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: Fastrack]
ClownBurner

Found it! Thanks !

The empty 'serial number' box on the back threw me for a minute. I was so busy playing with it... ;-)

#50473 - 18/12/2001 14:26 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: insightful]
ClownBurner

These look like nice little cases, but bulky. I really would like the Empeg case - the faq has not-too-kind things to say about the Case Logic case, and I want something soft-sided with a shoulder strap, so I can carry it more places.

The hard case is neat, but walking around with it would be inconvienent, I think.

Anyone have any idea how to order an Empeg case in the US? Can our UK friends help any???

TIA!

#50474 - 18/12/2001 14:41 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: ClownBurner]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We never took delivery of Rio Car cases in the end, and as there are only a small quantity of empeg cases I've kept them restricted to the international store. Sorry!

If at such time all the players are sold out we still have some cases, I'll offer them up for sale on the BBS.

Rob

#50475 - 18/12/2001 15:56 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: rob]
ClownBurner

May I be the first to say, "Arrrrgh!"

That kinda blows, pardon my french. I guess I'm stuck with improvising or hauling around a hard-case like James Bond until the remaining Empegs are sold...

#50476 - 18/12/2001 16:32 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: rob]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
That stinks. Why preference to the international store? The U.S. customers are the ones who got screwed by having to deal with the BUFFOONS at SB/Digital River instead of the COMPETENT people at Empeg. I think if a guy in the U.S. wants a case, and there are cases available, he should be able to get it. I understand not having them available for sale on the E-store, but can't you float one to an existing user who needs one?

The U.S. Empeg user base has also "taken one for the team" by dealing with the hassle of not having a support center here, even though the SB acquisition made it sound like there would be one. I won't go so far as to say it was promised, since I can't remember if it was, but I am sure that made some peoples' decisions during that time. Sure, the company has been good with covering shipping charges and providing service, sometimes out of warranty, but I don't understand why you can't spot an existing owner a carry case instead of holding onto it for future non-U.S. users.

I apologize for butting in here but this makes no sense to me.

#50477 - 18/12/2001 16:40 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Why preference to the international store?

Not a preference, just the way it worked out. Empeg UK had all the carrying cases in stock. Since only a small number of cases remain, it made sense just to leave them there.

Also, the cases have the "empeg" name on them. I know that we don't care about the embroidery, but I would think SonicBlue would prefer to sell products with their own brand name on them.

#50478 - 18/12/2001 16:51 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

out. Empeg UK had all the carrying cases in stock

Yeah so if they've got some in stock and a U.S. owner wants one, they should be able to work something out. And if SonicBlue wanted to be shipping cases with the Rio logo on them, maybe they could have had them made when they acquired Empeg. Nah, that would have meant they would have had to invest in the product... How silly of me. SonicBlue deserves NO say in what happens to anything with an Empeg logo on it. They purchased the programming talent from Empeg, they weren't at all interested in the Empeg product or brand name.

#50479 - 18/12/2001 16:55 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'm sure if you bought Rob a pint or something (isn't there a web address where we can do that?), I'm sure he could work something out...

#50480 - 18/12/2001 17:08 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Traditionally, Rob Schofield phones the Wrestlers and buys us lunch when he wants something .

#50481 - 18/12/2001 17:48 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: rob]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
If I placed an order within the next day, could the International - e-store deliver 2 cases to the Amsterdam Marriott before the 25th? (without paying a small fortune for shipping...they are pretty light) They would be easy to haul back to the U.S. and I could sell one to ClownBurner...

Had I been reading the BBS a little more carefully, I could have gotten a Rio Receiver from Crutchfield for that gent in Amersfoort. Dang.

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#50482 - 18/12/2001 18:39 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: tonyc]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
That stinks. Why preference to the international store? The U.S. customers are the ones who got screwed by having to deal with the BUFFOONS at SB/Digital River instead of the COMPETENT people at Empeg. I think if a guy in the U.S. wants a case, and there are cases available, he should be able to get it. I understand not having them available for sale on the E-store, but can't you float one to an existing user who needs one?

The U.S. Empeg user base has also "taken one for the team" by dealing with the hassle of not having a support center here, even though the SB acquisition made it sound like there would be one. I won't go so far as to say it was promised, since I can't remember if it was, but I am sure that made some peoples' decisions during that time. Sure, the company has been good with covering shipping charges and providing service, sometimes out of warranty, but I don't understand why you can't spot an existing owner a carry case instead of holding onto it for future non-U.S. users.

All this pales into insignificance when you remember that us non-US "customers" had to put up with an extended period of simply not being able to buy the Rio Car player itself. And don't forget that non-US people STILL can't buy the Rio Receiver without getting a friend in the US to buy it or meeting Rob behind a dumpster in a Cambridge car park with a pocket full of cash.

(ok, so I made up the bit about clandestine meetings with Rob, but it might just happen before SonicBlue actually officially ship any outside the US...)

#50483 - 19/12/2001 10:34 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: tfabris]
ClownBurner

I'm game, what's the URL? I'll fedex a pint to the UK if I have to...

#50484 - 21/12/2001 13:06 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: ClownBurner]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I would like to report that the empeg car player fits PERFECTLY in my Nikon Coolpix 990 camera case. In fact, the camera case is well padded, and has big waterproof side pockets for holding ac adapters and cords and cables. :-) It's a very nice fit! I don't have the case on me but if I can get a model number I will, but probably after the vacation.

Calvin

#50485 - 21/12/2001 14:33 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: eternalsun]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

The case i'm talking about is the one in this picture:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/ritzcamera/home.d2w/report?redirect=http://www.ritzcamera.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay&prrfnbr=1680206&prmenbr=153&STORENAMEPASS=ritzcamera&shfield2=STVDIG

You can't see the insides but the empeg fits *perfect* going in with the connector side down. The side to side and bottom to top clearance is exactly right. The case has about 2 CD cases of extra space in one direction just enough for a pair of headphones or CDs. There is a web'd zip area on the top for tucking in a remote. The side pouches hold the wall wart perfectly, and any other cables. It's doubled zippd for water resistance. the whole case is very well padded, since it's meant to carry a thousand bucks of camera equipment. Obviously it says Nikon and not Empeg but it's something to look into!

Calvin

#50486 - 21/12/2001 15:29 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: eternalsun]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Wow... $100 is a lot of cashish for an Empeg case. Even by Empeg standards...

#50487 - 21/12/2001 15:37 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: eternalsun]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I was just recently shopping for a good camera bag, and had been thinking that I could probably find a size that was perfect for the Empeg.

This bag is expensive because it has the Nikon name on it. I'd recommend going to a camera shop with your Empeg and testing it out in different bags. Bet you could find something for about $30-$40.

#50488 - 21/12/2001 15:46 Re: Carrying cases not available in US? [Re: tonyc]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

$100 bucks for an empeg that cost $2000? Not bad.

Calvin