Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56091 - 07/01/2002 11:38 Newbie question, couldn't find answer in FAQ
njdboy

Loc: San Jose, CA
I recently ordered a 60GB unit on 1/4/02, can't wait to get it!My question is I currently have a Kenwood Z919 car stereo(the one that playes data Cds). This was cool until I heard about empeg. I am wondering if can keep this Kenwood unit (to have a radio feature) and just install my empeg below it. I read for empeg you need a seperate amplifier. What does this mean? I am not too technical when it comes to car stereos. Can my empeg be installed in my car in its current condition?

#56092 - 07/01/2002 11:53 Re: Newbie question, couldn't find answer in FAQ [Re: njdboy]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
If your Kenwood has AUX-in connectors (or a CD-controller connection that there exists an adapter for that will give you AUX-in) you can connect the outputs from the empeg to those. Then you pick tunes, equalize etc on the empeg but change volume on the Kenwood. You're essentially using the Kenwood headunits internal amplifier as the amplifier for the empeg.

The other way is to connect the Kenwoods low level out (if it has any, otherwise use a high-to-low level converter giving you low level outputs from the speaker outputs on the Kenwood) to the empegs AUX-in. Then you have to have an amplifier to which you connect the empegs output. The amp also needs a power (12V) line, the more powerful the amp the thicker wire you need here...

http://www.installdr.com is a often mentioned good site to start learning about car audio, another is http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

/Michael

#56093 - 07/01/2002 12:30 Re: Newbie question, couldn't find answer in FAQ [Re: njdboy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I read for empeg you need a seperate amplifier. What does this mean? I am not too technical when it comes to car stereos.

Based on those statements, I recommend you talk to a professional stereo shop and ask them all of your questions. They should be able to help you answer everything while actually looking at your car. They can also install the player for you and do all the necessary work, including installing an amplifier if needed.

The only important question is whether or not there's room in the dashboard for two stereos (the Kenwood and the empeg). If there's not room, then you will have to give up the Kenwood and hope you can locate a tuner module.