Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#60374 - 17/01/2002 17:16 What a great product.
clsmith

I started looking for a replacement to my CD player just after the Holiday's. I've always installed "big" car audio systems no matter what vehicle I've had. Since my 4X4 has rough suspension (CD's skip constantly) I needed an alternative and being a Computer Geek an MP3 player seemed only logical; so onto the web I went for some researching.

Of course the first thing I saw was the Neo35. My buddy has one and he rates it at about 60% reliable. Not good enough. Next was the "Build Your Own" approach. do'able but I had no aux inputs. New Head Unit + MP3 carPC = too much money. Then I saw the RioCar listed at the original prices. PERFECT! Just a little out of my reach as far as price goes.

Then I found Sonic Blue's closeout sale. Ordered a 20GB + Tuner within seconds. Everyone knows what comes next. A few weeks go by, my order status doesn't change, call up and get the "If you don't have one by now you're not getting one" answer. After hearing this I asked the operator to cancel my order... Bummer!

Next is the part that hurts: I end up buying one of the 'painfully' priced units on ebay ($400 for a 10GB Ouch!) and spend the night figuring how I'm going to keep the old deck for the tuner and incorporate the Mark II.

Now it just get's funny. The next day I noticed that my credit card had been charged for the SB unit's. I looked at the Web page and my status was unchanged "Order Being Processed." So I called up SB and asked them what the deal was. The answer was that it had not shipped. I asked them to cancel the order a second time and this time send verification.

That night I got an e-mail from SB. But it was a shipping confirmation not a cancellation notice. COOL! Both the Tuner and the 20GB had shipped and were on their way. Two days ago I coudn't get my hands on one and now I had two on the way.

So here I am now with a 20GB + Tuner and a 10GB. I've never been so impressed with a product. Obviously I have no real use for the 10GB (especially after having paid $400.00!!!) But rather than run to ebay and try to trick some poor sap, like me, into paying too much for it (and believe me I could use the money I'm buying a house) I think I'll try and hang on to it for a while (as funds dictate.) I can always find a use for something this cool.

#60375 - 17/01/2002 17:33 Re: What a great product. [Re: clsmith]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Sing it brotha!!!

#60376 - 17/01/2002 17:47 Re: What a great product. [Re: loren]
Diznario
enthusiast

Loc: Portland OR
Word.

#60377 - 17/01/2002 18:22 Re: What a great product. [Re: Diznario]
otowneddie
stranger

Loc: FL, USA
I too got a 20GB, 10GB, tuner, and faceplates. I love this thing!