Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#69091 - 09/02/2002 10:18 Sleep mode question
SteveBrown
stranger

Hi there! I have searched the FAQs but can't find an answer to this small query so I thought I'd ask it here.

I understand that when the unit goes into sleep mode you can set the period to automatic full shutdown via emplode but it doesn't seem to make any difference to my unit & it stays in sleep mode with the LED glowing indefinitely. Is there something wrong with my player or is it simply that this timed full-shutdown feature isn't active in Home mode? (I haven't installed it in my car yet!)

Cheers once again for the help and I'm sorry for asking so many questions...

#69092 - 09/02/2002 10:24 Re: Sleep mode question [Re: SteveBrown]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
It's a DC only function, meaning it only works in the car. However, with beta11 on your player, you can now hold down the bottom button at the Power Off menu on the player, and select to power orr at the end of the playlist, at the end of the track, now, and in a future release, on a timer. You could always use hijack's force DC mode i guess... but i've never tried that...

#69093 - 09/02/2002 10:36 Re: Sleep mode question [Re: loren]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Hardware limitation. The unit can NOT go into DEEP SLEEP mode ("powered off") when on AC power, hijack'd or otherwise.

-ml

#69094 - 10/02/2002 01:23 Re: Sleep mode question [Re: SteveBrown]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I will clarify the FAQ on this point, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

#69095 - 10/02/2002 12:57 Re: Sleep mode question [Re: mlord]
Gary
stranger

So for units used in home mode, should we unplug it or just let it sleep?

Let me ask the question more precisely. What remains powered in the sleep mode? What are the time-to-failure implications of sleep mode vs unplugging?

I realize that there's a potential religious battle here: leave it on and risk power spikes and heat vs turn it off and risk thermal expansion wear due to cycling. I'm not so much interested in that debate as in understanding if the sleep/unplug empeg question _is_ that debate, or is sleep mode doing something else...

#69096 - 10/02/2002 13:05 Re: Sleep mode question [Re: Gary]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Dunno which is better here, I do both.

In standby, the hard drive gets spun down, the display is turned off, but Linux and the kernel, ethernet, and the player app continue running. Power draw is negligible, though, because the CPU is quite power efficient. But if you live in California, unplug the sucker.

-ml