Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#70372 - 12/02/2002 13:45 docking sled depth of MK1 vs MK2
bamboo
new poster

Is the MK2 car docking sled any shorter than the MK1?

I have an MK1 and it doesn't totally fit (half centimeter off) in my VW Passat because the connector on the back hits an internal brace.

Is the MK2 the exact same size or no? Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

John

Edited by bamboo (12/02/2002 13:45)

#70373 - 12/02/2002 14:07 Re: docking sled depth of MK1 vs MK2 [Re: bamboo]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
The cable connections on the MkII sled is offset to the left (as you view the dash) and doesn't 'build' as much as on the MkI.

In my Polo there's a bit with a hole (for the rubber bumper that seems common today (can screw in to the threaded hole in the sled)) at the center of the DIN slot,
sits 1-2cm infront of rear of the space. I had to really lean on my MkI sled to get it in there (the plastic with the hole flexed back some), but I was seriously contemplation cutting off the extension w/ the hole. Glad I didn't as it secures the rear of the MkII sled perfectly from moving up/down after I added the rubber bumer from another HU.

See attachment. The centre piece with the hole exists for the upper slot too.

/Michael

Attachments
68463-stuffingit.jpg (80 downloads)

#70374 - 12/02/2002 14:27 Re: docking sled depth of MK1 vs MK2 [Re: bamboo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
In my VW GTI 16v, I had to drill out that internal brace in order to get the Mk1 player installed.

As was stated elsewhere in this thread, the Mk2 player has the connector offset so it should work if carefully positioned. Actually, there's a screw-hole in the back of the Mk2 sled in the proper place for you to install the rubber plug that fits into the center of that internal brace.