Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#72666 - 17/02/2002 16:56 Hijack and streaming problem
skamp
journeyman

I read this entire thread http://empeg.comms.net/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=empeg_general&Number=62402&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=7&vc=1 and it looks like Winamp (the program I have registered to play m3u files) should start playing when you click stream for a playlist. Instead Windows Media player from within IE is trying to play the stream. I am using Windows XP. It works fine under W2K. It also works fine if I right click and save the m3u playlist and double click it. It is oviously a program registration problem but I can't seem to fix it. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? BTW I am using Beta 11 w/ Hijack build 200. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Edited by skamp (17/02/2002 17:13)

#72667 - 17/02/2002 17:24 Re: Hijack and streaming problem [Re: skamp]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I followed the entire development process of Hijack, but I didn't commit every detail to mind. I also haven't had the chance to search the archives yet. I did pull this small note regarding MIME types from usenet:

mime-types are set up so that the extension (m3u, pls, etc.) is
sent as audio/mpegurl (audio/mpeg appears to work for everything but WinXP clients).

I can't recall, in the end, how Mark is sending his m3u's. Also, in case it is just an association problem, have you tried the latest WinAmp releases to see if they will correctly associate under XP? Does IE's options allow you to turn off its media bar (like you can when running IE6 on Win2K)?

[edit:] I just did a quick search and I believe Mark is using audio/x-mpegurl. This is the mime type used by mp3.com. Shoutcast (from Nullsoft) and icecast bth use different types. audio/x-scpls and audio/mpegurl respectively.

Try the streaming from the three places mentioned www.mp3.com and www.shoutcast.com and www.icecast.org and let us know the results.

Bruno

Edited by hybrid8 (17/02/2002 17:39)

#72668 - 17/02/2002 17:56 Re: Hijack and streaming problem [Re: hybrid8]
skamp
journeyman

I think I fixed the problem. In the media bar in IE 6.0 you can select the "Media Optioms". I turned off the "play web media in the bar" setting. I think by doing this it just throws the content out to the application that the extention is registered to. I can't test with my EMPEG right now as I am doing a sync but it now works with mp3.com which also uses M3U files(plays via Winamp instead of IE/Media Player) so I am sure it will work fine with the EMPEG. Thanks!

Steve