Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#75094 - 25/02/2002 18:50 Visualization Info?
TedP

Loc: South Bay, CA: USA
Greetings

Love the new randomized visualization feature. Is there any way to get the info on the current visualization name? If I see a cool one, I want to add it to my favorites, but how do I know the name?

Also, it would be nice if the sequence by name would not reset itself every time you turn on the player (it always starts off with the same visualization).

Finally, once I get my list of favorite visuzalizations, is there a way to scroll just through those?

Thanks
-Ted

#75095 - 25/02/2002 19:45 Re: Visualization Info? [Re: TedP]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
In Emplode go to player config and select "display visual names" or some similar sounding option. When you switch visuals, you'll see the name pop up.

The way to use only favorite visuals once they're defined is to hold down the visuals button until it says "favourites mode on" or something like that.

#75096 - 25/02/2002 23:30 Re: Visualization Info? [Re: tonyc]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
In Emplode go to player config and select "display visual names" or some similar sounding option. When you switch visuals, you'll see the name pop up.

Only when you change the visuals manually. When the visuals autoswitch, they do not display the name.

tanstaafl.

#75097 - 26/02/2002 05:31 Re: Visualization Info? [Re: tonyc]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
In reply to:

If you don't want the pop-up names, a way to find the current visual's name is to go to Visuals -> by Type -> (down) and you will be in the menus at the current visual.

#75098 - 26/02/2002 08:11 Re: Visualization Info? [Re: tanstaafl.]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Only when you change the visuals manually. When the visuals autoswitch, they do not display the name.

Right, good point... I'd consider that a feature... I wouldn't want the name to pop up every time I change tracks...

#75099 - 26/02/2002 08:24 Re: Visualization Info? [Re: tonyc]
guardian__J
enthusiast

Loc: MI, USA
Umm...I think it's also important to point out that b11 has an issue with the favorites...
that thing about it filling up the config.ini
I wouldn't use it in beta11

#75100 - 26/02/2002 10:18 Re: Visualization Info? [Re: guardian__J]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

I guess, but this doesn't happen for everyone. I had no problem with my config.ini growing large when using favorite visuals, so it's a "your mileage may vary" issue.

#75101 - 26/02/2002 10:59 Re: Visualization Info? [Re: tonyc]
TedP

Loc: South Bay, CA: USA
So, the only way to get the name of a visual seems to be to go to the visual->by name menu and hold down the down arrow. As I understand so far, there is no way to use the auto-change visual function on only the favorites.

I guess a feature request would be a way to directly add a visual to favorites when the visual is playing (i.e. hold a key down for a while). This way, I can add one when I see something I like.

-Ted

#75102 - 26/02/2002 11:20 Re: Visualization Info? [Re: TedP]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So, the only way to get the name of a visual seems to be to go to the visual->by name menu and hold down the down arrow.

I just press the "Visual" button on the remote and cycle through all the visuals, and I can see their names as I switch them. I don't see what the problem is?

As I understand so far, there is no way to use the auto-change visual function on only the favorites.

Yes, auto-change visuals will on only the favorites if you want. If you activate favorite visuals mode, then the auto-change switches among the favorites. If you deactivate favorite visuals mode, then the auto-change works among all visuals. Again, I don't see what the problem is, it all works fine for me?

I guess a feature request would be a way to directly add a visual to favorites when the visual is playing (i.e. hold a key down for a while). This way, I can add one when I see something I like.

This would require setting the disk drive to read-write in the car (favorites are stored on the hard disk, not in flash RAM), so that can't happen.

Generally, the names of the visuals are unique enough so that you can remember them when you see them. After a couple of passes through the list, you should be able to get a basic idea of what they all look like, and then when you go into the Favorites menu you will see their names. Again, I don't see any problem with this, it seems to work fine for everyone else.

#75103 - 26/02/2002 11:22 Re: Visualization Info? [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
This would require setting the disk drive to read-write in the car (favorites are stored on the hard disk, not in flash RAM), so that can't happen

How are Marked Tracks recorded?

#75104 - 26/02/2002 11:29 Re: Visualization Info? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

I think marked tracks are recorded on the player's scratch partition, /dev/hda3. Assuming there's room, this could probably be used for anything else the player wants to use it for, including favorite visuals, but that's not how it's done right now. As of now, the favorites are stored in /empeg/var/config.ini which is on the root partition. If the visuals were stored on the dynamic partition, along with EQ settings, etc, you could add/remove them at will. Not sure why config.ini was chosen instead.

#75105 - 27/02/2002 04:22 Re: Visualization Info? [Re: guardian__J]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
As far as I was aware, the b11 config.ini doubling issue only happens if you synch more than once in a session.

Simple workaround then - after each synch, stop and start your emplode session with the empeg

That's what I do (I heard about it before installing b11) and I have never had a problem.

I agree with Tony in that all the visuals are instantly recognisable (except possibly the Hercynian/Caledonian types, but they don't look too good with rock music - better with dance music and I don't hold with that modern nonsense) so after a couple of zaps through with the visuals button on the remote you should never need to see the name again.

Before I bothered setting up my favourites, I got very good at doing a down, right, right, right, down and whatever without looking. Altering the EQ was much more difficult on the move
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#75106 - 27/02/2002 11:03 Re: Visualization Info? [Re: frog51]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
As far as I was aware, the b11 config.ini doubling issue only happens if you synch more than once in a session. Simple workaround then - after each synch, stop and start your emplode session with the empeg

That is exactly correct. That is the workaround I use and it has worked for me. The moment I forget to exit emplode after a synch, and I synch again, then my config gets doubled.