Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#77454 - 04/03/2002 02:19 Re-programming volume controls!
cyberco

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi,

This might sound like a strange request and I'm sure it can be done already but I'm just not sure how to....

I want to "lock" the volume to the front phono outputs at 0db, but use the volume control to "adjust" the volume of the rear phono outputs!!!!

I guess I can do this if I "lock" the volume at 0db and re-assign the volume button to the front-rear fader! Does anyone know how I can do this?

The reason I need to do this is because the front outputs go through my factory sound system and the back outputs through extra amplification in the boot!

I need to be able to control the volume from the boot, but ideally want the factory system to look after the volume of the rest of the speakers!!!!!

Any help - much appriciated - thanx

Mark.

#77455 - 04/03/2002 11:49 Re: Re-programming volume controls! [Re: cyberco]
cyberco

Anyone help .... pleeeezzee!

#77456 - 04/03/2002 13:15 Re: Re-programming volume controls! [Re: cyberco]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, it should work exactly like you said. Lock the volume at 0db, and then use the fader.

You will not be able to automatically have the volume knob be the fader on the first twist, but a couple of clicks of the button will reach the fader control.

#77457 - 04/03/2002 14:57 Re: Re-programming volume controls! [Re: tfabris]
cyberco

Thanks for that comment regarding volume, I was kinda hoping that I could re-define the volume switch and get it working without any extra mode changes (which are a pain when travelling at speed)!!!

Not to worry, it still works well the way it is so I'm still happy, maybe I'll be able to do this in the future!

Cheers for replying,

Mark.

#77458 - 04/03/2002 16:34 Re: Re-programming volume controls! [Re: cyberco]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I have not tried this, but it might work:

[ir_translate]
KnobLeft=knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knobleft.u
KnobRight=knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knobright.u

#77459 - 04/03/2002 16:40 Re: Re-programming volume controls! [Re: mlord]
cyberco

Woow, thanks friend!

I'll give it a try tomorrow (it's getting a bit late here now)!

Much appriciated, thanks very much,

Mark.

#77460 - 06/03/2002 11:52 Re: Re-programming volume controls! [Re: mlord]
cyberco

Congrats, not 100% correct but enough of a clue to get me going!!!!!

Actual solution was:
[ir_translate]
KnobLeft=knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knobleft.u
KnobRight=knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knobright.u

i.e. an extra "knob.n" inserted!

One comment - it doesn't work on AC because there doesn't seem to be a front/rear fade option on AC! It doesn't matter to me but it's strange this option suddenly disappears from the menu!

Thanks for your help,

Mark,

#77461 - 06/03/2002 12:34 Re: Re-programming volume controls! [Re: cyberco]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The front/rear fader option is deliberately removed from the in-home menu because of me.

Yes, it's my fault.

Early in the software's development, I was playing with my sound settings in the car. I was fading front to rear and adjusting my amplifiers. When I was done, I brought the player into the house and panicked when it didn't make any sound out of the home stereo.

The reason it didn't make any sound out of the home stereo is that I had it faded all the way to one direction, and it was the opposite direction of the home outputs (whichever direction that is). So I posted this big panic message about how my player's audio outputs had quit working and now my precious player is hosed.

Then I figured out what had happened and sheepishly posted a retraction.

They don't want that happening to anyone else, so they now lock the fader in the center when it's on AC power, and hide those menu options.

If you wish for the IR translations to work only in the car, precede them with an ;@DC command. Like this:

[ir_translate]
;@DC KnobLeft=knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knobleft.u
;@DC KnobRight=knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knob.n,knobright.u

At least I think that's how it will work. Let us know if it doesn't.

#77462 - 06/03/2002 12:34 Re: Re-programming volume controls! [Re: cyberco]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
it doesn't work on AC because there doesn't seem to be a front/rear fade option on AC! It doesn't matter to me but it's strange this option suddenly disappears from the menu!

Well, that's because in the AC mode we're "supposed" to use the home RCA connectors - and there are only two of those, compared to four on the "car" sled.

There is also, for instance, no Dimmer entry in the menus in AC mode....

/Michael

#77463 - 06/03/2002 14:15 Re: Re-programming volume controls! [Re: mtempsch]
cyberco

Never knew that before - still it doesn't really matter because it works ok how I want it in the car!

Only thing is that using fader as a volume control for the rear amps gives a bit fierce response!!!!!

#77464 - 06/03/2002 14:17 Re: Re-programming volume controls! [Re: tfabris]
cyberco

Not a problem that the front/rear fade is removed when in AC mode, it's only on DC that I need it, but just thought I'd mention it!

Seems to work well in the car now....

Only thing is that using fader as a volume control for the rear amps gives a bit fierce response!!!!!

#77465 - 06/03/2002 15:40 Re: Re-programming volume controls! [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Note that using the ;@DC prefix as suggested by Tony will allow you to assign completely different functions to the knob when on ;@AC power.

Cheers

#77466 - 06/03/2002 15:48 Re-programming volume controls - It Works!! [Re: cyberco]
cyberco

Thanks everyone - I've got it working great!!!!

The volume is locked to 0db and allows me to control the factory speakers through the conventional system. - This is connected to the front outputs!

Then the big amp is bolted to the rear outputs, and the fader turned right down to Front-Only!

Finally, volume switch hijacked to auto-configure as a front-rear fader and it does give me a certain amount of gain control over the rear boom box without constant adjustment of the other speakers!

Only annoyance now is that the fader jumps in quite big blocks so the amp volume hasn't got much control, but I can live with that ;-)

Thanks for the help guys,

Mark.

#77467 - 06/03/2002 16:08 Re: Re-programming volume controls - It Works!! [Re: cyberco]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Great. Now that you've got it all working, perhaps you might want to consider re-wiring it correctly so you don't need a rube goldberg solution to get it to work.

#77468 - 11/03/2002 18:39 Re: Re-programming volume controls - It Works!! [Re: tfabris]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Ouch tony. Let the man have his victory! ;*)

Calvin