Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#82711 - 21/03/2002 09:44 ISO to US Antenna Tuner Cable Adapter
fede
journeyman

Loc: Texas
I have looked in the FAQ and have been unable to find an answer for this so here goes. Does anyone know of a source for an antenna cable adapter for using an Empeg tuner in an American car? I recently purchased a tuner from a fellow Empeg user in Europe. I received the tuner yesterday. When I tried to hook everything up all was well except for the antenna cable.

Since it is not common to buy a European car stereo made for the European market here in the US the adapter is not a common item.

Does anyone either have one they would be willing to part with or know where I could go to find one of these items? The tuner is ver nice but as you can imagine, my reception is not very good at the moment.

Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.

By the way, when and if there is an official pre-order list for the next run of tuners, I do want to be included on it. I have more than one Empeg.

#82712 - 21/03/2002 09:52 Re: ISO to US Antenna Tuner Cable Adapter [Re: fede]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
I purchased a tuner from sonicblue and did not receive the adapter. I couldn't find one anywhere. I ended up going down to a local electronics house and buying a new pc mountable connector. I unsoldered the ISO and intalled the Motorola connector in its place.

#82713 - 21/03/2002 11:20 Re: ISO to US Antenna Tuner Cable Adapter [Re: fede]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
One of these adapters should have been included with your tuner module.

If not, they are very common and any car stereo shop should be able to give you one. Even Radio Shack should have them.

#82714 - 22/03/2002 14:05 Re: ISO to US Antenna Tuner Cable Adapter [Re: tfabris]
fede
journeyman

While I normally have great respect for the information you put forth in this forum, I must disagree with you on this.

I did finally make something work, however, it did not come from any stereo shop and certainly not from Radio Shack.

The antenna connector on the is apparently a standard connector for the European market, but here it may as well be a pariah. No one at any mainstream electronics retailer I went to had ever seen anything like that connector before. I finally found a wholesaler that thought he recognized it as a PAL connector. Upon further inspection it turned out that it was NOT a PAL connector.

I finally bought a couple of male and a couple of female PAL connectors and a motorola type cable. I had to take pieces from all of these. I cut the pieces on a small lathe and then silver soldered an assembly together that fit the existing outlet on the tuner. It is not the most elegant solution but it works and the signal is strong.

I do take exception to the statement that it is a very common adapter available anywhere. That may be true in Europe but not here. If it were true I would have never made the post in the first place.

Aside from that I really value this forum as a great asset to the Empeg community.

#82715 - 22/03/2002 15:50 Re: ISO to US Antenna Tuner Cable Adapter [Re: fede]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Well, even The Install Doctor gives the same advice. And you should have received the necessary adapter in your box with the tuner, so I did not give incorrect information there.

I'm having trouble looking up a Radio Shack part number for the adapter, so it's possible that I could have been wrong in saying that ratshack should have one. But I am sure that they are common enough so that most good car stereo installation shops should have them or can get them. Anyone else want to back me up on these statements?

#82716 - 22/03/2002 16:13 Re: ISO to US Antenna Tuner Cable Adapter [Re: tfabris]
philp69
journeyman

Loc: Long Island, NY
Scosche seems to make the proper adapter for anyone else that might be missing one...

#82717 - 22/03/2002 16:22 Re: ISO to US Antenna Tuner Cable Adapter [Re: philp69]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yup, that's the part all right. The one included with the tuner module is all-metal, but it's the same thing.

#82718 - 22/03/2002 20:47 Re: ISO to US Antenna Tuner Cable Adapter [Re: tfabris]
keil
new poster

Loc: Los Angeles,CA
Scosche is probably less expensive...but if you're still unable to locate an adapter, try Blaupunkt Service Parts. The antenna adapter is one of the included items with most Blau decks. The parts people are pretty good on the phone.
800-920-2121 (phone, 8am-4:30 pm, C.S.T)

keil

#82719 - 23/03/2002 05:55 Re: ISO to US Antenna Tuner Cable Adapter [Re: fede]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
I went to my GM dealer and bought one for my Chevrolet Astro. It had a GM partnumber, so it should be available in the states as well.

TommyE

#82720 - 23/03/2002 05:56 Re: ISO to US Antenna Tuner Cable Adapter [Re: philp69]
fede
journeyman

I completely agree that I should have received the correct adapter with the tuner. However, I bought it from an Empeg user in Europe and did not receive the adapter. I contacted him after receiving the tuner and asked about the adapter. He told me that he did not have the adapter.

Thanks for the Scosche link. I had searched the internet blindly for a few days but was unable to find the right adapter. I have contacted them and will be purchasing one of the adapters. If it were not for you guys here I probably would have had to keep using my home made adapter.

By the way, for those that are interested, keep an eye on the installation threads. I am in the process of an install on the second Empeg. It is going into a '94 Caddy (Deville Concours). This car is a real challenge for installing an aftermarket head unit. I will be integrating it with the factory head unit for the tuner and for an OEM look. I am building a console for the Empeg and will be wiring the factory head unit into the aux in of the Empeg. Pictures will be up there soon.

#82721 - 23/03/2002 09:21 Re: ISO to US Antenna Tuner Cable Adapter [Re: tfabris]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
I have four of them on my desk. If anyone wants one, email me with your postal address. First come, first served.