Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#94411 - 18/05/2002 13:50 emplode questions - don't kick my ass
nikko

Ok, I've read the entire FAQ twice in the last month, but I'm still a little confused. Maybe it's because I'm a moron. I'm quite happy to admit as much. First of all, is there different software on the Rio Car than there is on my computer to load songs on to it? I.e. is installing one, the same as installing the other? Is this what Emplode is? And where the heck do I download it? When I followed the FAQ link, there were several different files none of which had the look of "Pick Me, Pick Me". I just wanted the latest software. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HELP ME!

#94412 - 18/05/2002 14:03 Re: emplode questions - don't kick my ass [Re: nikko]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

#94413 - 18/05/2002 14:36 Re: emplode questions - don't kick my ass [Re: nikko]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
There should be a disc that came with the player. No downloading required. Please read the directions that came with the player.

#94414 - 18/05/2002 14:54 Re: emplode questions - don't kick my ass [Re: tfabris]
nikko

ok, fine, I missed that. but when I click on the link, there are a number of files listed. which ones should I grab if I bought most recent Rio?

#94415 - 18/05/2002 14:55 Re: emplode questions - don't kick my ass [Re: tfabris]
nikko

ok, fine, I missed that. but when I click on the link, there are a number of files listed. which ones should I grab if I bought most recent Rio?

#94416 - 18/05/2002 14:56 Re: emplode questions - don't kick my ass [Re: Terminator]
nikko

Yes, but aren't there updates to that software?

#94417 - 18/05/2002 15:27 Re: emplode questions - don't kick my ass [Re: nikko]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Top of the BBS:

Latest Software

There you have:

empeg car consumer software
Download the latest consumer release, including player software and download programs.

Get files from that link if you want the latest stable (but now somewhat old) release (1.03).

Or get the newest stuff (2.0b11):

empeg car beta software
Download the latest beta release, including player software and download programs.

You need at least two files:

emplode PC software for Windows 95 (with IE4 or later), Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0 (with IE4 or later) and Windows 2000. Note that IP networking must be installed.
Download Now (4832225 bytes)

This is the software you install on you PC (Windows)

You also need one of the car player images. Most likely you have a MkII; if you want to explore stuff then you want the developer image. (Allows you to get to the command line on the empeg. The consumer version does not.)

Developer version linked here

To upgrade to the latest; first install the new emplode, then apply the upgrade file to your player.

/Michael

#94418 - 18/05/2002 15:35 Re: emplode questions - don't kick my ass [Re: nikko]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
which ones should I grab if I bought most recent Rio?

Depends on what you want to do with it. Each one is different.

You must grab one of the EMPLODE files and one of the UPGRADE files. But which one is up to you, depending on what you want to do. There is only one "rule" for you, which is that if you've got a Rio Car Mark 2 player, then the UPGRADE file must have the name "CAR2" in the file name (if you grab CAR1 it's for the wrong player).

Ask yourself the following questions:

- Do you want to take a chance on beta software, or do you only want the latest final software? If you want to install the beta, then go to the beta page and get EMPLODE and UPGRADE version 2.0beta11. If you want to install the final, then go to the consumer page and get EMPLODE and UPGRADE 1.03. The beta page and the final page are made pretty clear as to which one is which.

- Do you want to edit and customize your player, install custom software, and do fun hacks with it, or do you want to leave it totally stock and never change it at all? This is how you choose which UPGRADE file you get. If you want to hack, get the one with DEVELOPER in the file name. If you want to be normal, get the one with CONSUMER in the name.

This is all explained in the FAQ, but I agree that the empeg downloads page could be a little more clear about it. If Rob would let me, I'd redesign the download page for him...

#94419 - 18/05/2002 16:36 Re: emplode questions - don't kick my ass [Re: nikko]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
I would reccomend using the software that came with the unit to do your initial uploads of music. Once you have your music loaded up and are familiar with the functions of the player, then you can upgrade the player.

Sean

#94420 - 18/05/2002 18:30 Re: emplode questions - don't kick my ass [Re: nikko]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
At last another moron joins the board i was beginning to feel lonely

Right emplode goes on what ever computer you want to upload music from to the rio.

The upgrade files used by emplode to then install the software onto the rio are kept on the same computer but are then sent over to riocar when an upgrade is performed.

Obviously you need to use the same version of an upgrade file with the same version of emplode 1.03 will ignore 2.0b11 totally

The player you got if it came from the factory should have 1.03 on it but if you got it second hand god knows what is on it unless you go to the about screen on the player.

Stick with 1.03 till you got most of the music onto it and you have made friends with the riocar as 2.0b11 could throw you a curve ball.