Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#101395 - 25/06/2002 21:33 Empeg Reboots after car accident
hoagy

Loc: Silicon Valley
Ack. Last week I was rear-ended at about 5 mph and (without even noticing it happen) my Rio Car popped out of the dash and fell to the floor. Well now it likes to reboot spontaneously (once or twice an hour on average) when warm. Any idea what specifically might be the cause. I just now updated to the latest HiJack and it's still unstable. Would the drives be most likely damaged and could they cause the player to be unstable?

Thanks,
-Hoagy.

#101396 - 26/06/2002 04:09 Re: Empeg Reboots after car accident [Re: hoagy]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I would guess it was more of a loose contact issue. You might want to check the drive cables and jumpers - make certain they are seated correctly. Also, verify any cable contacts inside the unit and on the sled. Maybe something jarred loose, and your power (or other) contact is intermittent. Does it do this reboot on AC Power when warm?

#101397 - 26/06/2002 10:00 Re: Empeg Reboots after car accident [Re: hoagy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, like Paul said, I'd suspect loose wiring. Does it reboot at home as well as in the car? Or only in the car?

If only in the car, I'd suspect loose wiring connections behind the sled somewhere. Another possibility: The accident caused some kind of damage to the car which made its electrical system flaky. Loosened the ground to the battery, caused the tail light wiring to get scrunched, or something like that.

#101398 - 26/06/2002 10:12 Re: Empeg Reboots after car accident [Re: pgrzelak]
hoagy

Yeah I'll check the drive cables and jumpers. It does do the reboot thing while on AC power as well so I don't think the car's wiring is bad. Sometimes, instead of rebooting it will just change the display info mode to the next one in sequence. Other times it will reboot when I ask it to go to the next info mode.

I'm bummed.. especially since I was going to use it to host a party on Friday. Guess I'll have to resort to putting a drive into my backup Empeg.

-Hoagy.

#101399 - 26/06/2002 10:22 Re: Empeg Reboots after car accident [Re: hoagy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sometimes, instead of rebooting it will just change the display info mode to the next one in sequence. Other times it will reboot when I ask it to go to the next info mode.

Hmm, I think it's time to contact support on this one.

#101400 - 26/06/2002 10:28 Re: Empeg Reboots after car accident [Re: hoagy]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Hmm... AC Power. That eliminates the car... Advancing the info mode, or next info mode triggers a reboot? Strange. You have reflashed the unit with a new kernel, right? Do you have hijack on it currently? You might want to test to see if the kernel is reading any IR or other inputs. For the info mode to advance, it has to be (or think it is) seeing inputs... Also, have you done any syncs or fscks since the accident? Maybe the filesystem needs a cleaning.

#101401 - 26/06/2002 10:40 Re: Empeg Reboots after car accident [Re: pgrzelak]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
I wonder what the chances are there being a problem with the buttons or with the PCB that they mount onto. Have you removed the front face and looked closely at the buttons and the board to which they are mounted? You may find a damaged button or a cracked circuit board.

#101402 - 26/06/2002 15:06 Re: Empeg Reboots after car accident [Re: Neutrino]
hoagy

I'll take a look inside tonight when I get back to my Allen wrench. I've had it running here at work all day without a reboot, but it's not warm either. An interesting thing though.. It doesn't seem to be picking up an IP address via DHCP on the network any longer. Again, when I get it home I can look at the dhcp log to see what's up.

-Hoagy.

#101403 - 06/07/2002 10:10 Re: Empeg Reboots after car accident [Re: hoagy]
eliceo
enthusiast

I have something similar to this random rebooting error, i noticed it after replacing a bad hard drive cable. I havent tried to isolate whether it was the kernel, im using hijack 278. I also havent attempted to isolate whether its just car and/or ac power though.

#101404 - 18/07/2002 17:48 Re: Empeg Reboots after car accident [Re: eliceo]
hoagy

Okay, here's a new observation. It only seems to have a problem when on the LINE info setting. Most other info settings and it's happy as a clam. And usually the reboot happens when the player is trying to go to disk for more data. And sometimes, when on the LINE info setting when I hit the NEXT button, it'll pause for a bit while it tries to re-read the disk. Is there some kind of caching problem associated with the LINE info setting?

-Hoagy.