Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#106755 - 23/07/2002 12:34 MP3 tag Genre field
lamer
journeyman

Loc: Texas
Anyone know why they didn't provide for multiple generes in the MP3 tag format? Is there a way around this for use in the empeg? Also, are the soup views going to make it into a future version of car player software?

Cory

11 Years later, these Mk2a units still rock...

#106756 - 23/07/2002 12:37 Re: MP3 tag Genre field [Re: lamer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Anyone know why they didn't provide for multiple generes in the MP3 tag format?

It is provided for in the ID3v2 tag format if I recall correctly.

Is there a way around this for use in the empeg?

Yes, create free-form playlists containing whichever tracks you want. You can name the playlists anything you want, including the names of genres, and copy a given artist into multiple playlists.

Also, are the soup views going to make it into a future version of car player software?

That's the plan, although not in any immediately-pending releases, it will be a post-2.0 feature. And in any case, it wouldn't help your multiple-genre thing.

#106757 - 23/07/2002 12:39 Re: MP3 tag Genre field [Re: lamer]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
"They" did provide for multiple genres in the ID3v2 tag format, but having multiple artists/genres isn't directly supported by the player/emplode software. This is definitely on the wish list, though.

Soup views are also in the works, but as you may have noticed, the guys are real busy these days, so I wouldn't hold my breath for it. No real workaround except for copying your songs into multiple "genre playlists" or whatever. It's a crappy workaround, but hopefully some day the Cambridge guys will have some free time to work on the player again.