Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#110601 - 12/08/2002 12:05 Aux-in volume
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
Been awhile since I've been around and posted as the EMPEG has not been in my car for almost a year now. Wow it's been that long.

Just dusted her off the other day and started playing with and forgot how much I missed it. Decided to get it installed to my new car (Protege 5) when I get me audio system installed.

Anyways, my questions is this. My head unit will be going threw the empegs aux-in. Is there a way to fix the volume for aux-in and aux-in only. I know I can hace fixed volume period but I only want it for aux-in. do not have my empeg here at work as it's in the shop with the car and could not find anything on riocar.org or searching the forums. Got 3 hours till I get my car back with everything installed. =)
Blue MK2 20 Gig #090000956 4796 Songs Available at all times.

#110602 - 12/08/2002 12:09 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
No, there's no way I know of to fix the volume for aux-in only.

What you should be doing is fixing the volume of whatever you've got going into the aux-in.

Odds are, all you'll do is set the volume of the other head unit and leave it there. Only controlling the volume through the empeg.

#110603 - 12/08/2002 12:13 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: tfabris]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Only reason I am asking is the EMPEG is going in teh glove box (don't ask long story). So if I can set the volume of my headunit on the empeg for AUX I would be able to control the voluem easly on the headunit.

But I do supose you are right. How often am I going to be using the headunit anyways?

Just thought I would ask and see as I eagerly wait to get my baby back while sitting here at work.

#110604 - 12/08/2002 12:16 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Also while I'm asking questions. Where is the link/fix for the volume knob slipping noticed this morning before bringing it to the audio shop that it's slipping and need to press it in kinda hard for it to turn? Wasn't it just a simple fix of a washer or something like that?

#110605 - 12/08/2002 12:16 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

If you are going to mount the empeg in the glove box (and I recommend against this), then you should wire the empeg to feed into your head unit, and not vice-versa.

#110606 - 12/08/2002 12:17 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Where is the link/fix for the volume knob slipping noticed this morning

In the FAQ, right here.

#110607 - 12/08/2002 12:23 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: tfabris]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Like I said, long story and not possable. Well only way possable if threw FM Mod, and I'm not walking down that road.

thanks for the link, will contact them and hope I get a replacement soon.

One mroe thing I'll add in here. How about an IR repeater so the glove box won't have to be open to control? Anyone looked into this and got it working some how?

Edited by CyberGlitch (12/08/2002 12:35)

#110608 - 12/08/2002 14:40 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
darwin
enthusiast

that's gonna be a weird install. i would save up a little bit and have some pro make a custom dash for you so your empeg can be fitted in the dash in front of you instead of all the way on the side. sounds like an accident waiting to happen if it's in the glove box.

#110609 - 12/08/2002 14:49 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: darwin]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Actually I do not want it or any other headunit to be seen. I want everything to look factory. First we were going to install in a cubby hole in the dash but was to small and oculd do so only other option was glove box. Thats why its there and not in the dash.

I've had to many stuff stolen, even with empeg outta the car. So taking every precausion I can with this isntall. If you can't see it you're less inclined to steal it.

#110610 - 12/08/2002 14:56 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Worried about having stuff stolen? I can understand that. I believe the best deterrent is a DIN-sized hole in the dash - caused by removing the empeg yourself and carrying it with you. Not only is it impossible to steal if from your car then, but there's this hole in the dash that argues to theieves that the best stuff has already been taken.

And even then, someone breaking into your car just to steal stuff from the glovebox is going to find the empeg anyway... and some thieves are desperate enough to steal the stock stereo too. It all depends on how paranoid you are - are you paranoid enough? :-)

Have fun,

Paul

#110611 - 12/08/2002 18:41 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: PaulWay]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

I'm paranoid enough for my own good. Reason being.

Get all nice new car audio installed (pre-empeg) no more then 5-6 months past poof all gone. Decide well I always wanted an empeg and they've come down a little. This was during first price drop for like $700. Get new speakers installed and I thought same thing as you, empty slot ppl aren't really gonna be insterested. Well I ALWAYS took empeg out, wake up one morning about a year later and poof everything gone (this was different locations as I moved). Go like 6-7 months with NOTHING in my car as I didn't wanna mess with it at that time. Then like 5 months ago bought new car and just today had empeg put back in but wanna take every precation I can. I know I'm a little more paranoid now a days but I have good reasons.

So far with there install I am very happy. Empeg in glovebox looks better then I thought it would be and the components sound VERY nice, can't wait to get the 2 12's installed tomorrow =)

If I can some how do an IR repeater I think I would be happy and finished with the install.

*hugs his empeg every night before he goes to bed*
Please never leave my side empeg!

Edited by CyberGlitch (12/08/2002 18:42)

#110612 - 12/08/2002 21:19 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
munkworks
new poster

Loc: Ventura, California, USA
Check out Xantech's MicroLink receiver:
http://www.xantech.com/products/c_folder/c_pg18.pdf

Good luck.

#110613 - 12/08/2002 21:36 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

One mroe thing I'll add in here. How about an IR repeater so the glove box won't have to be open to control? Anyone looked into this and got it working some how?

I'm sure that would work just fine, but you wouldn't be able to see what you're doing in the player's menus. Visual feedback is rather important to many of the player's operations. You could do some pretty basic things without opening the glove box, though, and open the glove box only when needed. More trouble than I'd want to go to, but to each his own.

What about a wired steering wheel remote connection? Does your car have steering wheel buttons?

As far as theft protection is concerned and making the car look "stock", did you see my stealth install?

#110614 - 13/08/2002 04:46 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: tfabris]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Yea, I saw your install.
I did think about doing something simular at first but just decided against it. My first choice of install was in a cubby hole in the dash with a door that can cover the empg when it's still in the car unfortently b/c of steel bars in the way they couldn't do it by like 1/4" on each side so glove box it was. Also what about those few times you go out drinking with your friends and the car is sitting on a downtown street corner for hours on end etc. So I think I am still happy with it in the glove box.

I know I'll have limited ability with no visuals. But if you have your empeg very well organized you shouldn't need the visuals much anyways. Most things I do with the empeg I can do without the visuals. Volume Up/Down, Song Back/Next, Shuffle On/Off, and change playlists (I have then on PIN #'s so do search for PIN # then enter).

Also no I do not have a colum control for my car but I did come across the sony one but I think it'll just look outta place. I guess I'm just very picky regarding my new car.

Thanks for the link as well, will look over it when I get to work.

#110615 - 13/08/2002 06:14 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: munkworks]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

For that 490 Micro Link would I need just the bare unit or the whole "kit"? I've looked at several different types but they are all really confusing.

These guys sell all the Xantech IR stuff and see the bare unit and a kit.
http://www.homeautomationnet.com/Shopping/ir-control.asp

#110616 - 13/08/2002 07:53 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
munkworks
new poster

You will need a 490 MicroLink and a 282-M or 283-M emitter (the 283 gives off visible light when it is emitting IR). You will also need to supply some form of voltage regulation for the 490, since it is intended to run on 12 volt from a regulated supply. This can be done very simply with a couple of 6 volt zener diodes and a resistor to provide current limiting. Let me know if you need help sorting it out (light soldering skills required ).

#110617 - 13/08/2002 08:06 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: munkworks]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

What about the product at the top of this page? Looks to be exactly what I want made for auto use?

http://randrspecialty.com/autoelectronics/extenders.html

#110618 - 13/08/2002 08:12 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
munkworks
new poster

It does appear to be what you want. I don't know how apperance matters; that's your call. I don't know the product, either. From their description, it does match your criteria.

#110619 - 13/08/2002 08:17 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: munkworks]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

With that box I think I can work around apearance and make it look good. Could also just crack open the box and re work the circuits or heres and idea. See if that little box will fit in one of my vents. I dunno, I think I could make it work.

Hmm.. might go that route and cross my fingers hoping it's good. The product you gave me did look promising but also $$$ and I've already spent more then I wanted on everything else =\

#110620 - 13/08/2002 08:20 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
munkworks
new poster

I hear that !

#110621 - 13/08/2002 10:52 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Also what about those few times you go out drinking with your friends and the car is sitting on a downtown street corner for hours on end etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by that statement. I don't leave the player in the car, ever (and suggest you do the same). The stealth cover will only fit over the empty hole.

The stealth cover is specifically designed to protect the car from theft damage in those situations. Thieves who see the empty hole might break into the car anyway, hoping to find a stereo stashed under a seat, in the glove box, or in the trunk. Even though they wouldn't get the empeg, they would cause damage to the car. So I make it look like the car doesn't have a stereo installed at all, hence no damage.

If you meant, "how do I carry the player with me when I'm out drinking with my friends", I just do. It's got a carrying case. Once in a while, I might go to a place where I wouldn't want to carry the player with me. In that case, the player gets left at home. But those situations are very rare.

#110622 - 13/08/2002 11:56 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: tfabris]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

I supose thats where we differ. There are a lot of times for me it would be very incovient to carry around the empeg be it that it's left for 30minutes or 2-3 hours. This is why I wanted to have it hidden no matter if it was in the car or out of the car.

Granted if I did install it in the dash where it would normally go then yes I would get a blank off to put in it when I took it out.

Ordered the IR Extender and should get it Thursday/Friday and installed Saturday so we'll see how that goes. Just got my car back about an hour ago and loving every minute of it, god how I missed my empeg.

#110623 - 13/08/2002 12:03 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: CyberGlitch]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
In my area, I've never seen a thief so blatant as to jimmy open a trunk. At least not in non-awful areas of town. So I usually leave mine in the trunk if I have to go somewhere for a while.

Of course, your city may have much more brazen thieves than mine.

#110624 - 13/08/2002 12:31 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I've never seen a thief so blatant as to jimmy open a trunk.

That's how my first CD player was stolen. They used a crowbar on the rear hatch of my GTI. The repair was rather expensive because of the significant damage they caused.

With my second theft, from the same GTI, they were more clever and broke a front window. Then they climbed into the rear seat and lowered it so that they could get into the trunk area without opening the rear trunk. They were able to pull the subwoofer out of the trunk that way.

#110625 - 13/08/2002 13:20 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I guess I can see breaking into a hatchback. But I've got a real trunk.

(BTW, none of this is intended as a challenge to anyone to try to steal my empeg. )

#110626 - 13/08/2002 14:13 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: wfaulk]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Well the next thing I am doing this weekend will make my box a lot harder.

Steel U bolted/reinfored into the box that is tied down to the car chassi by a steel wire. Might still be able to get it out but will defently take longer then 15 seconds.

Yes I am paranoid.

#110627 - 13/08/2002 14:37 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: wfaulk]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I've got a real trunk in my prelude... So, instead of smashing and going over the seat, you smash and hit the remote trunk release, and in you go... Now, of course you lock your trunk release just like I did every time... If your trunk popper is as well designed as honda's, the only locking part is a piece of plastic - keep pulling, and the plastic breaks, and the trunk opens. Now, not only do you have a $400 amp and a $150 window to replace, you've got a $100 trunk opener to replace too.

Matthew

#110628 - 13/08/2002 14:49 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: matthew_k]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I never have understood the concept of being able to open your trunk from inside the car. My car does not have that misfeature; its trunk can only be opened from the trunk.

#110629 - 15/08/2002 04:51 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: tfabris]
Mario
stranger

Loc: Ireland
------ Tony wrote --------

If you meant, "how do I carry the player with me when I'm out drinking with my friends", I just do. It's got a carrying case. Once in a while, I might go to a place where I wouldn't want to carry the player with me. In that case, the player gets left at home. But those situations are very rare.

------------------------------------

Woua...Tony...when I saw your comment I stayed with my mouth opened for about 10 sec (no kidding)...That's exactly, with all respect to you, the kind of situation I don't want to end at.

I'll explain, I'm from Spain, I lived 8 years in Germany and now I live in Ireland. I rembered there was a time in Spain where everybody took the autoradios with them in the Disco or in the bar and home (about 15 to 10 years ago, I don't know now). As I moved to Germany, I did the same thing (I took my autoradio with me home) but then I noticed that no one did that there and I stop doing it. Now I live in Ireland (Limerick) where autos are stolen everyday. So no empeg in the car.

Well, Empeg is not a autoradio and it's an EOL product, so if it's gone it may be gone forever and your precence in this BBS may get to a no sense situation. So we all guys are together here because we loved our Empegs. Wenn I ordered my Empeg at the beginning I wanted to buy two, but then I decided to buy only one (big mistake?). I must be sincere, I could not leave my Empeg in the car even for a few hours as I don't want to take my Empeg always with me, I took the decision to enjoy my Empeg at home and forget about it on the car until I move to a more car-save-stealth country or town.

What did I do? as I have an iBook I bought a 10 GB iPod and connect it to the Aux-in of my Blaupunkt Modena CD51with a cable adapter www.bluespot.co.uk for around 10 EUR. What can I say, the iPod is as small as a packet of cigarets. It's super easy to control, super light, iTunes3 is a marvellous program (in features is years light ahead from emplode). It's got a firewire connection, so I can download hundred of new songs in a matter of minutes and create playlists in seconds with the Smart Playlist feature in iTunes3 which creates dinamic Playlists (that's reaaaaaly cool stuff), those are things you can only dream of in the empeg. And it doesn't matter were I go, or it stays in a safe corner within the car where noone could find it, or I take it with me in the pocket :-), how does it sound in the car? for me sounds very good, no complaints. All in all i find the iPod to be much more dinamic and versatile to use as the empeg, it's easier and faster to change the playlists and add or erase songs. IMHO I find it is bit of no sense situation to have the empeg in the globe box and using it with a remote control, the real nice thing from the empeg in the car is it's marvellous display, if you hide it...well much of the it's magic it's gone!, and to make the extra work of carring the empeg everywhere it's not for me. Yes if they take my Blaupunkt I can by another one, if the take my ipod, well same thing.

But everybody have different ways of doing things, what for me it's ok, it's not ok for others and viceversa....

Thanks
Mario

#110630 - 15/08/2002 06:43 Re: Aux-in volume [Re: Mario]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Actualy if you have a decent sound sytem in your car you should hear a huge difference from the ipod and any other head unit.

When I bought my new car several months ago I did use my ipod in it for the past several months till I decided what I wanted to do. Don't get me wrong it doesn't sound bad but it is a little watered down. It was a lot easier to unplug the ipod and carry it around then it is the empeg but I'd rather lug around the empeg then lose sound quality with the ipod.

Most of the time the glovebox will be open and I can see the visuals just fine. Only wanted to still be able to control it with it closed for if I have passengers. Should be getting the IR Extender today and test it out this evening so we'll see how that goes.

Also if anything I think I can view my empeg better when it's in the glovebox (when open of course). The sunlight doesn't hit it nearly as much and it's on a slant facing the drivers seat so that's not a problem either.