Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#113373 - 27/08/2002 20:13 Hissing
jets
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, Canada
greetings and salutations,

i have finally gotten my empeg installed in my honda and it is connected to the aux-in on my alpine head unit. the probelm is that there is a hissing noise (just like when listening to good old-fashioned cassette tapes) coming from the empeg's output to the alpine. it can be heard (more) during silence or regular volumes. it isn't really terrible but wanted to know if this is common. do you think better rca's will work?

#113374 - 27/08/2002 20:17 Re: Hissing [Re: jets]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
How loud is the empeg turned up to go into the Alpine?

#113375 - 27/08/2002 20:25 Re: Hissing [Re: jets]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
The volume should be fixed on your empeg to correlate directly to the alpine's volume. That way when you use either unit the volume will be the same.

#113376 - 27/08/2002 21:02 Re: Hissing [Re: russmeister]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I have noticed on my Eclipse brand headunit that there is considerable audible noise (hiss and buzzing) when the unit is in AUX mode and volume is almost all the way up. This does not occur in CD mode and is there in AUX mode whether the Empeg is docked or not. I suspect the AUX input signal path is not as well isolated from the digital circuitry such as the display circuitry inside the headunit as the CD signal path is. You may be experiencing a similar problem. This is reason for which I plan to use my digital outboard, which by the way just started shipping today.

Stu

#113377 - 28/08/2002 04:49 Re: Hissing [Re: maczrool]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

just started shipping today

Cool! Should I watch my mail for invitations to order? You might want to ask for a link at the top of the page, like the buttons and lenses.

#113378 - 28/08/2002 07:11 Re: Hissing [Re: pgrzelak]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Yes, we are going through the queue and e-mailing those that have expressed interest through our survey. We have a "real" order page in the works, but wanted to give people in the queue first "dibs" on the boards. We may just put it up though, as the ratio of purchase to interest is staggeringly low. When the order page does goes up, I will ask very nicely for a link up top and in the FAQ. Thanks for the suggestion.

Stu

#113379 - 28/08/2002 08:47 Re: Hissing [Re: jets]
lockuplever
enthusiast

Loc: Tucson, AZ
I have the same problem, yet my unit is installed as a "stand alone", powered through an MX amp. I am planning on ripping some of these songs over again, and also trying to duplicate the problem on my spare or on my home computer, I just haven't had a chance yet. When I saw this thread I thought maybe I'm not alone, but maybe I still am.

#113380 - 28/08/2002 14:41 Re: Hissing [Re: jets]
jets
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, Canada
well, the volume is locked at 0db and never really thought to turn down the volume since it's already lower than the alpines volume. when i crank a cd the maximum volume value i can use is 24-28. when using the empeg i can get it up to 30 without noticable distortion.