Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#118190 - 27/09/2002 11:17 trade my MkIIa for your MkII
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Thanks to Dan's (djc) generosity, i now have a new-in-box 30gig MkIIa to replace the MkII that was stolen from me a month or so ago. Thing is... i want to replace the MkII with a MkII, not a MkIIa... don't know why exactly... partially because of the metalwork, partially out of nostalgia. Brad (SE_Sport_Driver) has also generously offered to trade, but it would involve him ripping the sled out of his dash.

SO.. is there anyone out there who has a close to new-in-box MkII sitting on a shelf as a backup they'd want to trade for a brand new-in-box MkIIa?? That, or one that's been used but the sled never installed? We could do a driveless trade or swap 30's or whatever... that can be worked out.

Thanks!

(and my apologies for not posting in the for sale section, i thought more people would see it this way... i know, for shame. =])

#118191 - 27/09/2002 12:23 Re: trade my MkIIa for your MkII [Re: loren]
Sheetzam

Loc: Annandale, VA
Unless I'm mistaken, hte mk2 and mk2a sleds are interchangeable. At least, my mk2 and mk2a both work great in each others sled. Are you sure you're not talking about mk2a and mk1?

#118192 - 27/09/2002 12:25 Re: trade my MkIIa for your MkII [Re: Sheetzam]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
He did mention that he liked the the Mk.2 metalwork.. the Mk.2 sled is stainless where as the Mk.2A sled is galvonised mild steel.

Rob

#118193 - 27/09/2002 12:54 Re: trade my MkIIa for your MkII [Re: loren]
Diznario
enthusiast

Loc: Portland OR
Hey, good news Loren! Glad you found one.

Well, here's another MKII owner that would gladly trade for a MKIIa. Hell, I'd even throw in my tuner module, since I've never used it.

It's not new, in the box, but It's in good condition. Never been dropped or thrashed on in any way. I've never even opened the case. Still has the little "warranty void if removed" sticker on it.

The only thing I've done to it is the "Permanent Marker mod", except I used black electrical tape so it wouldn't be permanent. Worked quite well, BTW.

Also, one of my buddies here at work has MKIIa, and we've swapped units before, so I know the trays are interchangeable. But, if you wanted the original tray, I'd gladly rip the dash apart to take it out. I'd have to take half the dash apart to get to the tuner module anyway.

#118194 - 27/09/2002 13:24 Re: trade my MkIIa for your MkII [Re: Diznario]
loren
carpal tunnel

Yeah, i know the sleds are interchangeable... but i can't STAND the way the MkIIa slots in for some reason. I know it's freakin' weird, but it really is different when compared to the MkII's. It's like grating fingernails on a chalkboard or something... if that gets to you.

I just don't want anyone to have to rip apart their dash. I'm looking for a never installed sled. Not looking like that's gonna happen though. Don't really need the tuner ... hmmm. I'm being way to damn picky here ain't I?

#118195 - 27/09/2002 14:23 Re: trade my MkIIa for your MkII [Re: loren]
Diznario
enthusiast

Loc: Portland OR
I'm being way to damn picky here ain't I?

No, I don't think so. You want one just like your old one. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

I've had my shiznit ganked before, In Bizerkely too actually. I know what it's like. What you really want, is your old stuff back, the same way it was.

I feel you my brutha. Good luck with the search!

#118196 - 27/09/2002 15:05 Re: trade my MkIIa for your MkII [Re: loren]
CruzThs

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Hey Loren - contact me offline. I think I may have an original MkII sled somewhere in my garage.

Rob

#118197 - 27/09/2002 15:44 Re: trade my MkIIa for your MkII [Re: loren]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
I have Mk2 metalwork available for 40UKP. Or just for postage if you return the Mk 2a metal.

It would be up to you to transfer the innards and handle across. If you want me to do it, then it's 60UKP labour and 75UKP shipping.

If you want a Mk 2 sled, I can exchange your Mk 2a sled for one - again, it will just cost you postage.

#118198 - 07/10/2002 10:46 Re: trade my MkIIa for your MkII [Re: David]
loren
carpal tunnel

YAY! I finally got everything sorted out. Thanks to Dario in Santa Cruz, i've now got a MKII which i've slapped two 40 Gig drives in and started reloading my music to. And he even let me drive his Impreza!

Thanks again to all who made offers and dealt with my pickyness. I'm now back to where i was before my empeg was stolen, + a few gigs.

I haven't put the old sled in the car yet, but i put the MkII in the MkIIa sled that's in the car now... and WOW... it slid in smooth as silk. With the MkIIa, i had to FORCE the thing in and out of it's own sled. What's up with that? I know the metal work was different, but i didn't think that would effect the size that much. Weird.

oh, and Rob V. I left you a message, give me a call back or email or whatever.

#118199 - 07/10/2002 10:56 Re: trade my MkIIa for your MkII [Re: loren]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
With my experience, what really effects how they slide in is bending the bumps down so there's more room for it to slide in. I didn't realize that it would make such a difference until I went to the SF meet and saw other peoples and how they went in... Once I pushed the tabs holding the bumps up down a few milimeters, it slid in nice and easy... Now I'm not sure how that would change between a II and a IIa.

Matthew

#118200 - 07/10/2002 11:43 Re: trade my MkIIa for your MkII [Re: loren]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I guess you mean Rob V (ii).

Rob

#118201 - 07/10/2002 11:59 Re: trade my MkIIa for your MkII [Re: rob]
loren
carpal tunnel

yeah, the other rob v =]

RE: the bumps on the sled.. yeah, i even pushed them up for the MkIIa... but i just don't get why the MkIIa is a pain in the ass to get in and out while the MkII slides in like butta on the exact same sled without changing anything.