Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#120144 - 11/10/2002 02:54 Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames...
cloud7
new poster

Loc: Switzerland
As I played a bit with my new Riocar and could after a long waiting (wanted the player since 2000) practice the things, I've read all the time on riocar.org ;-)

No I've noticed one fact(?), I'm aren't happy with it: I usually organise my MP3s with Filenames and Directory Structures, instead of MP3 Tags. -Mediaplayer 6 displays the this, so does my RioVolt Discman Player - But not the Riocar! :-(
I do very prefer to navigate with Directories/Filenames, instead of Tags...

After reading a bit here and on riocar.org, I don't have much hope left, but still want to ask: Is there a way to store the Files in Directory-Trees and display these and the Filenames?
I know about the Tag&Rename, ... Programs, but still would like to navigate with Directories/Filenames...

second question: I read a lot of uploading the Files via FTP.
I can access the HTTP/FTP server, but I do nowhere find the files, just something like I expect them to be, but these are files named with <FID> and have a size of about 44KBs (putted all together I get the correct size of the files on it?).
So can I upload the Files on the player correctly without using any tool (this would be a great advantage)? If yes, how?

Thanks to all! ;-)

#120145 - 11/10/2002 02:57 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: cloud7]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
If you drag the root of your music directory into emplode, each directory will be converted to a playlist. These will be displayed in the menus correctly.

If the tags are wrong, just remove them first -- the filename will be used as the title.

However, you'd be better off just fixing your tags. Without correct tags, you'll be unable to use the search facilities that the Rio Car gives you.

#120146 - 11/10/2002 03:21 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: Roger]
cloud7
new poster

This makes it a bit easier, but I will possible still miss the raw directories and carefully created files with their names on my player... :-(

#120147 - 11/10/2002 05:30 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: cloud7]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
You can use a program like mp3tagstudio http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/ to create the tags from your directory information. I think you'll appreciate the features on the empeg that using the tags brings.

-Zeke

#120148 - 11/10/2002 05:37 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: cloud7]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
.. Tags are definately the way to go, I have so many songs with '?' and other characters which you are not allowed in filenames, it'd annoy me if the rio car was not showing the correct track name.... It's not that great an effort to add the tags afterwards (like suggestions above, MP3 Tag Studio & Tag and Rename)..although it's obviously a lot easier if you add them as you rip (especially if you use a ripper with support for cddb or freedb)...

Adrian

#120149 - 11/10/2002 05:45 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: sn00p]
cloud7
new poster

Yes, but why don't they give you the choise of using tags or Filenames like in all other players?
I don't want to have the Tag feature out, but to have a choise would just be great...

PS: And how does this thing go with "FTP Uploading"?

Edited by cloud7 (11/10/2002 05:47)

#120150 - 11/10/2002 05:46 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: cloud7]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
There's no functional difference between playlists/subplaylists and directories/subdirectories. Well, playlists have a few more functions, but none removed.

And tagging your files correctly isn't going to make them magically leave the directories that they're currently in, unless you explicitly tell your tagging program to do that for you.

#120151 - 11/10/2002 05:48 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: cloud7]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

If you tag them, there could easily be no difference between your filenames and your tags. If you tag them correctly, you'll get about 100 times more features, both from the empeg and every other well-written mp3 player out there.

#120152 - 11/10/2002 06:02 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: cloud7]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

If you're new to the player, go to the 'Latest Software' link on the top of the page, download beta 13 developer and the beta 13 version of emplode. Then read the Empeg FAQ linked above. I think you'll find all you questions answered.

The short answer is that you DON'T use FTP to transfer the songs (unless you really wanted to, which would be silly & difficult). You use emplode. Later after you've gotten oriented I'd also suggest checking out jemplode (an independantly written, Java version of emplode).

Start with the FAQ first.

-Zeke

#120153 - 11/10/2002 09:50 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: Ezekiel]
dcosta
enthusiast

Loc: Massachussetts
you DON'T use FTP to transfer the songs
(unless you really wanted to, which would be silly & difficult).

As far as "Difficult", I agree there.
There is no tool for this, currently.

But it definately would not be silly.
Considering throughput over FTP is at least doulbe
that of file transfer rates using emplode or jemplode.

I bet someone here could make a tool that allowed you
to FTP your directory structure in to a given folder say: /drive0/temp/
that would appear in emplode or jemplode.
Then you could just move the files into whatever playlist structure you want.

#120154 - 11/10/2002 09:59 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: dcosta]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Someone had suggested running the linux emptools directly on the empeg for this. That way, you could upload your tunes to a temp directory and use them to upload the files to the correct place. This should be much speedier than ethernet or USB since the files will just be being copied across a loopback network interface, but I could be wrong.

#120155 - 11/10/2002 10:38 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: dcosta]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Given the general level of understanding implied in cloud7's post I thought I'd add the emphasis to make the point. I was unaware that FTP had 2x throughput of jemplode & emplode (even with fast upload turned on in jemplode?). Of course that would be desirable & not at all silly. However, for someone just getting their feet wet setting up FTP is not the right course.

How would you get the files to have proper (unused) FID's were you to u/l songs via FTP? Just a thought.

-Zeke

#120156 - 11/10/2002 11:06 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: Ezekiel]
dcosta
enthusiast

How would you get the files to have proper (unused) FID's were you to u/l songs via FTP? Just a thought.

You wouldn't. I mean, you would, but there is already a tool for this.

All you would do is upload your directory structure to a folder on the empeg.
Then open Emplode or jemplode and add files from that folder to your playlists.
Then sync.
During the sync the files fould be moved to the appropriate folder and assigned an appropriate FID.
The only difference is that the files would be coming from a folder on the empeg instead of a folder on your pc.

Sounds simple enough, but I, for one, have no idea to make it work.

Anyone else?
Is my idea simple or a big PITA.

Perhaps mschrag should be alerted of this feature request? Mike? you getting this?
I'll post this in Wish List later.

#120157 - 11/10/2002 11:37 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: dcosta]
drakino
carpal tunnel

MP3toFID. I'm actually tempted to try this myself to sync music to my 10gb player.

#120158 - 11/10/2002 12:09 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: drakino]
dcosta
enthusiast

Hmmmm....
/me reads mp3tofid readme file....

75 GB / HR sure beats 1.3 GB / HR with emplode or jemplode.

Hmmmm....
/me thinks it might be time to setup a Linux Box.

#120159 - 11/10/2002 18:21 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: dcosta]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
ut it definately would not be silly. Considering throughput over FTP is at least double that of file transfer rates using emplode or jemplode.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, really I'm not. I have the feeling that there is some basic thing that I just don't understand.

Why should it matter very much if it takes 10 minutes instead of 5 minutes to load a CD's worth of music into your player? It's not like this is something you'll be doing three times a day. Or even three times a week, once you have your player set up the way you want it.

For the initial loading (5 or 10 GB after you have everything ripped) you just let it run overnight, so who cares that it takes 10 hours instead of five?

I am still using USB to load my player, and have never felt the need to go to the trouble of adding network support. Am I missing out on something important here?

tanstaafl.

#120160 - 11/10/2002 20:30 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: tanstaafl.]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Yes. I'm compulsively drawn to watching bar graphs go slowly by. Same with disk defragging. I find it fascinating and have wasted great portions of my life yeilding to this urge. The shorter those u/l sessions are, the less of my life will be sucked meaninglessly from me.

If you are not this way then you can never really truly understand this horrible compulsion. Rejoice.

-Zeke

#120161 - 13/10/2002 08:09 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: tanstaafl.]
dcosta
enthusiast

5 or 10 GB after you have everything ripped

5 or 10 GB ???
Problem is, I have a 60 GB player and it's full.
Which, using emplode at 1.33GB / HR would take 80 Hours to re upload.
Not to mention the fact that I now have something like 85 GB of mp3 on my computer
that will live on my empeg once I do the drive upgrade.

1.33 GB x 85 Hours = 113 Hours
That's nearly 5 days.

I'll be praying for no power loss and
for someone to implement some kind of solution that would
cut the upload time at least in half.

Maybe not *too* big of a deal this time around but,
the 200GB empeg is not *so* far away
which would take 11 days to fill with emplode.

#120162 - 13/10/2002 09:00 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: dcosta]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England

Yes. It's also about twenty times the wire rate of the ethernet interface.

/me thinks it might be time to setup a Linux Box.

Still not a bad idea, as emptool should get about 2.5Gb/hr (700K/sec) over ethernet. FTP, or tar+netcat, were scarcely faster in my tests. Having said that, I do use tar+netcat when I repopulate my 20Gb player from scratch, as it's restartable if any of the alpha player code I tend to use falls over.

And tanstaafl, I suggest looking under the hood of your car before you start questioning other people's desire to make things go faster than they could possibly need to...

Peter

#120163 - 13/10/2002 13:04 Re: Uploading Files via FTP / Display Filenames... [Re: dcosta]
pim
addict

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands

75 GB / HR is the scanning speed of mp3tofid, not the upload speed of rsync (which tops to 750 kB/s in my setup).

Pim

Edited by pim (13/10/2002 14:44)