Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#131058 - 16/12/2002 20:10 poor sled connection troubles
lofreq
stranger

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
hi all, just want to ask a quick question for those who have had experience tweaking the sled/docking connector - my empeg occasionally loses the audio output from the left front RCA output - audio flickers and fades away from the left, swinging the sound over to the right. right channel has never been a problem. the rear outputs are also seemingly fine, however i am using the rear outputs as a sub input, and the sub amp converts the stereo input to mono, so the fading COULD be at work there too but im not noticing it since the subs are in mono.

i can get it fixed by pulling and redocking the unit. but its annoying as you can guess... by chance i went over a bump one time when it was happening and the sound popped back into place, so i guessed it is one of the pins in the connector not seating, or something. whacking the dashboard sometimes works as well, but its embarassing when youre at the lights.

ive tried to inspect the connector, the terminals on the back of the unit seem angled and are 'springy' as one would expect, for them to contact the sled's male docking plug... but perhaps not springy enough? a few of the terminals sit further in than the others - maybe not far out enuf to make a good connection? i tried to gently pry them out but no avail - they wont come out further, and i didnt want to break anything.

i *am* pushing the unit all the way in securely, the pins that are sprung out further than the others have nice friction-wear marks on them... the connector on the back of the unit *is* free to move about, as described in the FAQ, so its not binding...

suggestions, hints and tips? any tricks i can try to improve the connection??

#131059 - 16/12/2002 20:27 Re: poor sled connection troubles [Re: lofreq]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Did you check the wires coming out of the back of the sled? It's more work to pull the slef out, but a known problem.

Obligatory Faq Reference

Matthew