Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#137796 - 27/01/2003 04:51 Player not going into standby when ignition off.
snoopstah
enthusiast

Loc: Squamish, BC
I have a problem that's recently come to light with my player. I've checked the FAQ and not fonud anything relevant, although it's possible I missed it.

When I remove the key from the ignition, the player will continue to play, as if it's not detected that the power has been removed from the ignition sense line.

However, it's not a hardware problem, as if I pull the player and put it back in the sled with the ignition off, it doesn't switch on until I switch the ignition on.

So basically if I pulse the ignition, the player will stay on until I remove it and replace it in the sled, at which point it stays off until the ignition is applied, and then remains on until I remove it from the sled again.

Edit: Bit more info, running B13 and Hijack v300, and this only started a couple of weeks ago - not changed anything AFAIK.

Ideas?

A.

Edited by snoopstah (27/01/2003 04:52)
Empeg Mk2a 128G with amber lit buttons kit - #30102490

PhotoVancouver | Squamish, BC Webcam | Personal Website

#137797 - 27/01/2003 07:21 Re: Player not going into standby when ignition off. [Re: snoopstah]
Anonymous
Unregistered

MIne will do that if it is still booting up when the ignition is turned off.

#137798 - 27/01/2003 10:36 Re: Player not going into standby when ignition off. [Re: snoopstah]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
When I remove the key from the ignition, the player will continue to play

Please see this thread for more details on this one. Please let us know if any of the solutions offered in that thread are correct for you.

#137799 - 27/01/2003 11:06 Re: Player not going into standby when ignition off. [Re: tfabris]
snoopstah
enthusiast

Hi Tony,

Thanks for that. A few points I can make looking at that thread...

It's not a problem with the car wiring - I have my JVC CD player plugged into the same wiring, and that switches off correctly. It's also not (afaik) a negative-spike problem - I don't have a standalone amp, because I'm poor, so I have to run the empeg through the aux in of the JVC CD player.

I don't believe it's a delay in switching off, although I have seen that occur. Since this problem has arisen, I once missed the fact that the player was still playing, and got back to the car two hours later and only then noticed the empeg was still going!

It could be a loose wire in the docking connector, but the player has never cut out when I drive over bumps - and I do a fair bit of that.

It could also be the synchronisation issue. I'll give that a check and report back.

Cheers,

A.

#137800 - 27/01/2003 11:09 Re: Player not going into standby when ignition off. [Re: snoopstah]
Anonymous
Unregistered

and got back to the car two hours later and only then noticed the empeg was still going!

That happened to me once. It had apparently been playing for like 16 hours. I was walking up to my car thinking, "where's that music coming from?" And my car still started.

#137801 - 27/01/2003 11:22 Re: Player not going into standby when ignition off. [Re: ]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
i have a really long shutdown time, like 600 seconds. One time i got home pretty late around 2am. I went to bed only to be awaken by the door bell 2 hours later and someone told me my car stereo was on. Sure enough it was blasting at annoying levels of volume and had been for at least 2 hours. Only done that to me once of twice thou for an unknown reason. I assume your is constant.

#137802 - 27/01/2003 12:44 Re: Player not going into standby when ignition off. [Re: justinlarsen]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
I was plagued with this for awhile, but usually only when driving with my girlfriend or if she'd used the car by herself.
She'd report that the empeg had done a really weird thing while she was at the store or whatever, and it was just playing all by itself when she got back.
I was baffled, cause I couldnt replicate it.
I finally figured it out one day when I spotted her turning the volume knob down after I'd turned the car off, removed the key and gotten out.
She said she was doing this so it wouldnt be so loud when she started the car up again.
Doh!
Mystery solved.
I gave her a spanking and a quick lesson in empeg usage and now all is well.

Z~

Oh, and I also reduced my standby time...

#137803 - 08/03/2003 12:44 Re: Player not going into standby when ignition off. [Re: snoopstah]
snoopstah
enthusiast

A late update:

Seems like it is the AC sensor switch that's at fault - I've yet to absolutely confirm it, but I'm pretty sure that's what's wrong.

Guess I've got to decide whether to send it back to support, or get my Dad to fix it - anyone know the specs of the switch? (I assume it's built into the AC power socket?)

#137804 - 15/03/2003 14:28 Re: Player not going into standby when ignition off. [Re: snoopstah]
snoopstah
enthusiast

Nobody know anything about the offending switch?

#137805 - 15/03/2003 14:33 Re: Player not going into standby when ignition off. [Re: snoopstah]
tman
carpal tunnel

I think it's just a 2.5mm (this right? I haven't got my empeg with me so I can't measure it) standard socket used for power. They normally have three PCB leads.

- Trevor

#137806 - 15/03/2003 14:36 Re: Player not going into standby when ignition of [Re: snoopstah]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
5.5mmx2.1mm DC Power Jack, PCB mount.

There might be a specific part number on the "General Parts List" thread.

Cheers