Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#151819 - 31/03/2003 07:50 Broken Handle - need replacement
csf

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I have a broken handle on my rio car and I need to see about a replacement. I sent an email to carsupport a week ago and another one today - I'm just trying to add some exposure since the empeg guys read through here fairly often.

On to what happened:
The until got really tough to pull out and in the past it had been a loose side screw (hard drive tray or display board screws) that held things up or even possibly the latches that hold the unit in were catching on the tray and not fully releasing. A little extra tug and it would come out, so I thought.

The handle snapped at the right corner.

After snapping the handle I examined the unit to figure out what was wrong and found a loose screw in the rear multi-plug thing. As I was trying to pull out the until the plug could rotate a bit which would lock it down with it's counter-part and not let the unit release. After tightening the screws on the back, everything works normally - aside from the broken handle.

Just wondering if anyone could help out on a replacement handle. I'm looking at the replacement facia but the handles aren't yet ready. Anyone have an old handle they have replaced or hopefully someone with sonicblue can forward my request on to support.

Thanks,
Chris
([email protected])

#151820 - 31/03/2003 07:56 Re: Broken Handle - need replacement [Re: csf]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
loose screw in the rear multi-plug
Unfortunately, this is a known issue. I don't think anyone else who would be reading this doesn't already know, but just in case:

Test the screws holding the connector on the back of the empeg. They should not be loose. If they are, tighten them.

#151821 - 31/03/2003 08:55 Re: Broken Handle - need replacement [Re: csf]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I expect Rob Schofield will be able to sort you out with a replacement handle. He's a week behind on email at the moment and will be working to catch up on Wednesday.

Rob

#151822 - 31/03/2003 11:05 Re: Broken Handle - need replacement [Re: wfaulk]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Test the screws holding the connector on the back of the empeg. They should not be loose. If they are, tighten them.

And to clarify for any newbies... the connector SHOULD be loose and wiggle a bit, just not the screws!!!

#151823 - 31/03/2003 11:32 Re: Broken Handle - need replacement [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
And to clarify for any newbies... the connector SHOULD be loose and wiggle a bit, just not the screws!!!
Yeah, I've just added a new FAQ entry on the Mk2 pullout problem which re-iterates this.