Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#167516 - 25/06/2003 08:33 Emphatic... 2 questions?
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
First:
I've looked on riocar.org/downloads but didn't see it, and searched the BBS but only found threads reffering to it, where can I get it? Maybe it's so obvious I'm just overlooking it?

Second:
I understand it uses ID3v2 tag info for the scroll. Which field in the tag does it use? I thought I read somewhere that it used the "comment" field, but that field seems to only accept a small amount of info before it overloads. I am not really interested in using Emphatic for lyric scrolling, I'm actually going to use it to include artist, band members, album or song bio's like the ones on allmusic.com or the old cdnow.com bio's. I'm curently already doing short bio's in the comment field of my ID3v2 tag that I can view with a long info button press on the remote. Since the comment field overloads quickly though, I have to keeps the info pretty short. I was hoping that using Emphatic would allow me to include more info and at the same time make it easier to view.

TIA

#167517 - 25/06/2003 08:53 Re: Emphatic... 2 questions? [Re: bodybag]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I've looked on riocar.org/downloads but didn't see it, and searched the BBS but only found threads reffering to it, where can I get it? Maybe it's so obvious I'm just overlooking it?
Click on the link in my signature. It's intentionally not in the downloads section because it's still a buggy program that I don't consider fit for general release.
I understand it uses ID3v2 tag info for the scroll. Which field in the tag does it use?
For lyrics, it uses the synchronized lyrics and text (SYLT) frame. A list of the fields that it supports is in the README, but the only one that you'd be interested in right now is the comment field. The ID3v2 comment field isn't limited by the spec, but the player uses the comments stored in the FIDs themselves, which they limit to 255 characters. I haven't tested it, but I believe emphatic, because it's pulling the comments out of the ID3v2 directly, does not have this limitation, so you should be able to put whatever amount of data you want in there. I will warn you that configuring the custom info modes isn't for the faint of heart. Though there are examples of them in my README, it's something you won't want to do unless you're good with the shell prompt and hand-editing your config.ini and all that stuff. emphatic also has no reliable auto-install process, except for an MS-DOS batch file that FTP's things over, and even the FTP script requires edits to put in your IP address, etc. It's all documented, but it's far from automatic.

The thing is, I think you would want to put the info you're talking about in other fields than the comments. Band members, songwriting credits, etc. all have their own fields in ID3v2, but those fields aren't yet supported by emphatic. I plan on it, though.

#167518 - 25/06/2003 09:22 Re: Emphatic... 2 questions? [Re: tonyc]
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
I would place them into the other fields, but I like to be able to view them on the Empeg occasionally. AFAIK, the only way to see the info on the Empeg is by placing it in the comments field.

You know, it's one thing to impress your buddies by telling them that your entire music collection is in the Empeg, but it gets way better when they ask something like "do you remember the name of this drummer?" and you can say "yeah, as a matter of fact, here's the entire band member list". Then you go even further, while your friend stares at your Empeg with amazement, you scroll the band history and bio...

"The Sex Pistols may have been the first British punk rock band, but the Clash were the definitive British punk rockers. Where the Pistols were nihlistic, the Clash were fiery and idealistic, charged with righteousness and a leftist political ideology. From the outset, the band was more musically adventurous, expanding their hard rock & roll with reggae, dub, and rap rockabilly among other roots musics. Furthermore, they were blessed with two exceptional songwriters in Joe Strummer and Mick Jones, each with a distinctive voice and style...."

You guys get the picture!

#167519 - 25/06/2003 09:34 Re: Emphatic... 2 questions? [Re: bodybag]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
And recreate the videos in ASCII format!!!

#167520 - 25/06/2003 09:41 Re: Emphatic... 2 questions? [Re: davec]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
And recreate the videos in ASCII format!!!
Well, album covers are on my to-do list...