Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#208654 - 10/03/2004 01:46 Stream to Ipaq
Gazz
journeyman

Loc: Alice Springs - Australia
I have got an Ipaq 4350 (802.11b wireless)
and I have a Linksys wireless gateway on the network
I want to walk around the house and Stream to the Ipaq from the empeg sitting in it's dock (it's also on the network)
so I can listen to empeg privatley in my earbuds on the Ipaq
(Mowing the lawn or whatever)
and I also want to be able to remote control the Empeg from the Ipaq, just basic stuff like next track, pause.

Has any body done anything like this yet
what's the best s/w to remote control the Empeg from the Ipaq (over the network, not IR)

Actually I found when you want to Mow the lawn it's best to put the Ipaq in a plastic bag before putting it in your pocket, and dont let the kids touch the Ipaq after Kentucky Fried Ckicken

Blessings !

Gazz.

#208655 - 10/03/2004 02:29 Re: Stream to Ipaq [Re: Gazz]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You can use the Hijack web interface. Click here, and here.

#208656 - 10/03/2004 08:04 Re: Stream to Ipaq [Re: tfabris]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Last I knew (and it was a while ago) you need a music client on the IPAQ that can support network streaming of mp3 files. Windows Media Player only supported streaming .wma files last time I looked.

-Zeke

#208657 - 10/03/2004 12:58 Re: Stream to Ipaq [Re: Ezekiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well then, he'll have to fill up his empeg with WMAs then, won't he?

#208658 - 10/03/2004 13:41 Re: Stream to Ipaq [Re: tfabris]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Well, in theory that'd work. I tried following some M$ instructions on how to set up a streaming .wma site, and I never got the thing working. Besides, an empeg full of .wma's is just somehow so very _wrong_.

-Zeke

#208659 - 10/03/2004 15:17 Re: Stream to Ipaq [Re: Gazz]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
Don't waste your time converting to wma's use this: http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA032810/

It's free!

It works awesome on the ipaq h5555 using pocket pc 2003

#208660 - 10/03/2004 16:01 Re: Stream to Ipaq [Re: Jerz]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

I'll be trying that tonight...hopefully it'll work on my old 3670.

-Zeke

#208661 - 10/03/2004 20:07 Re: Stream to Ipaq [Re: Ezekiel]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
Cool... let me know how it goes; I'm sure you'll be very pleased.

#208662 - 12/03/2004 21:26 Re: Stream to Ipaq [Re: Jerz]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Jerz,
It's the best free player I've tried yet. It chokes some on my large playlists (3-4k songs), but eventually plays. Moving between streams is pretty fast. The Play/Pause button mapping isn't working for me (strangely the other button mappings do), which is kind of annoying. Audio quality is fine, only slight clicks/pops between songs. The EQ 'Pre-amp' is nice b/c it lets you set min/max volume more finely than my Ipaq's standard up/down volume settings (allowing a quieter bottom volume). I haven't played long enough to know about battery life, but there is a display on/off toggle.

To use it I just copied an .m3u file to my Ipaq and opened that. Straightforward, no intermediary PC or server needed.

I know this is a pretty short review, but so far it's doing the trick. I only crashed it once by digging down into the playlist editor (don't recall specifically - I don't plan on editing many playlists on my Ipaq) Thanks!

-Zeke

#208663 - 01/04/2004 00:21 Re: Stream to Ipaq [Re: Ezekiel]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Bringing this thread back up... I'm testing the player right now using bluetooth. Borrowed a CF WiFi card from a friend but I haven't installed drivers for it yet. It's also late, so BT TCP/IP proves the concept easily enough.

So what's the streamlined (no pun intended ) process for streaming? I popped open PocketIE, pointed it at the empeg's IP with ?playlist and then drilled down and clicked stream on a playlist. I had to first associate playlists in GSP to get it to automatically play after downloading the m3u file.

Any other tips? I'd love something a little better suited for navigating on a small device like this. The tabled HTML default has too much extra information (too many columns) that aren't useful if you want to do streaming alone. Maybe Mark (or someone else) may be interested in providing a "?streamlist" with an alternate view?

Time for a nap.

Bruno

#208664 - 01/04/2004 07:49 Re: Stream to Ipaq [Re: hybrid8]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

You got .m3u's to work through Pocket IE? Hmmm, I guess my version of PPC (2002) needs an update. Unfortunately, I don't think I have any input to offer. My style of listening is: download full playlist .m3u and then play on shuffle, skipping songs as desired. I don't do much navigation, and the initial .m3u download procedure always seems to take a while (using the software Jerz pointed me to).

The way I navigate multiple playlists is to download the .m3u files ahead of time then copy them to my PPC via file copy from my main PC. Then I use Jerz's software to open the .m3u file manually. Not elegant, but workable.

I know bubkis about writing html, but it seems that the web pages could be re-written with a small screen in mind and these could replace the default hijack pages (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

-Zeke

#208665 - 09/04/2004 09:49 Re: Stream to Ipaq [Re: Gazz]
kramwc
new poster

I've done exactly what you've suggested by using microsoft media encoder 9 and winamp. There's also a program for the Ipaq the will remotely control winamp. IRemote 2.85
Media encoder is pretty cool and easy to use. It monitors your audio & video codecs and will stream anything that you're playing locally on your server machine. Complete the media encoder setup routine. Lauch media player on the ipaq, type in the local ip address of your server machine + the output port that media encoder establishes, and Head bang till the cows come home !!!

Good Luck !!!!!
Markc.