Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#239820 - 02/11/2004 15:26 Let's talk money... For software.
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Ok, all sorts of side-projects have emerged for anything from buttons to replacement aluminum fascias to digital output boards. I'm talking of course of projects that have a monetary value associated with them. There have also been countless software projects, such as the excellent Hijack and other programs, but they've (thankfully) been kindly offered up for free by their creators.

Many of us have spent some extra money on these projects or other tweaks for our players. I don't think I'm alone in my willingness to give some (additional) direct compensation back to Rio for a few feature additions. The larger the company, the more complicated proposals like this can get, so I'm hoping there's someone open to developing this idea into a reality.

The simple take: get some additional development time to have builds of carplayer software made from the ever-growing software trunk to add some long-requested functionality and get us out of the alpha stages. Release this software as a paid upgrade. Price TBD. Implement a licencing agreement that does not bind (condemn) Rio or its development staff to an unrealistic support structure (support can often be the killer even if development is a near freebie).

I haven't figured out how much I'd be willing to pay, but from the top of my head, US$50 would be a no brainer.

Thoughts? Think it would be likely we could have 1000 "buyers" at that price?

Bruno

#239821 - 02/11/2004 15:36 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Unfortunately, the people on this BBS aren't the ones you need to talk to.

#239822 - 02/11/2004 15:44 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: hybrid8]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Thoughts? Think it would be likely we could have 1000 "buyers" at that price?

OK, so that's $50,000. That's not gonna be anywhere near enough.

To put it into perspective: at minimal consultancy rates, that's about 2-3 man-months work.

You could just about hire a single programmer to work on something for a year for that, but the overhead involved would be prohibitive.

It ain't gonna happen. Sorry.

#239823 - 02/11/2004 15:53 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: hybrid8]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
I suspect that the reason that 3.00 final hasn't been released is more to do with the boys in blue being far too busy with real work and less to do with lack of monetary resources.

One possibility might be to permit certain 3rd parties (say, mlord and tfabris) access to internal version control and bug tracking systems under NDA agreements. This would allow them to report on, update and close bug reports, checkout, edit, commit code and finally tag the repository ready for a release.

This model is used by a number of the big ICT players including Nokia, Motorola and Sun Microsystems. Of course, mlord and tfabris might not be interested in playing release manager or sustaining engineer, even if the community paid them .
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#239824 - 02/11/2004 20:17 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: hybrid8]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I would pay $100 just for Empeg support in Rio Music Manager, my world would then be complete, I have a dream people to bung all my music in a dir on my PC and RioMM sorts the rest out, it does that for everything apart from the Empeg.

Cheers

Cris.

#239825 - 02/11/2004 22:45 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I think this is worth talking about.. at least to get us out of the alpha stage.

Hasn't picking up the tab at the local pub worked in the past? Or was that prior to Rio?

#239826 - 02/11/2004 23:52 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Hasn't picking up the tab at the local pub worked in the past?

Quick! What's the closest pub to the new office?

#239827 - 03/11/2004 00:59 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: hybrid8]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
Think it would be likely we could have 1000 "buyers" at that price?

No, I don't think there's any chance of that. It would be more feasible to reach the figure with a smaller number of people paying a higher price (that's the empeg enthusiast demographic to a tee).

Rio probably wouldn't turn down $50K NRE for a well defined project that wasn't going to detract from other business - but that's the problem. The opportunity cost is likely to be high if the team are busy with other far less cool projects that are core to the business.

Rob

#239828 - 03/11/2004 01:04 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: hybrid8]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
A very interesting idea. So, if $50k would only buy a few months of consultant time, what could be done in that time? empeg for RioMM? ::insane laugh and a twitch:: VR? Or maybe we could pay Patrick to create something new and cool... box under the seat to bluetooth our Karma's into our factory head units. I know, I know, $50k could never afford that.

Hm.... my first thought was, "Save development cost by not paying for support; let us support it." But then, who would debug the closed source program when weird bugs came up. Or would it have to be closed source? Could it be like HiJack and emphatic, providing lots of functionality but still open for (at least someone in) the community to modify?

#239829 - 03/11/2004 03:25 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: FireFox31]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
$50k or some such to simply open source the player software might be interesting. I don't see Rio going for it though.

-Mike

#239830 - 03/11/2004 05:03 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: rob]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Quote:
Think it would be likely we could have 1000 "buyers" at that price?

No, I don't think there's any chance of that. It would be more feasible to reach the figure with a smaller number of people paying a higher price (that's the empeg enthusiast demographic to a tee).

Agreed. Especially when you consider the number of folks (such as myself) that are reasonably happy with the feature set as it is. My wishlist is slim enough that I probably wouldn't consider it worth the money to accelerate their addition. Paying for Patrick's upcoming memory expansion kit would take priority for me.

#239831 - 03/11/2004 05:07 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: Roger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I wasn't proposing bringing in a new contractor nor dedicating anyone to this goal. Just adding some money to the bottom line for a few extra time slices that would be necessary to deliver a certain feature set within a reasonable time period.

It can certainly be done. Opportunity cost as Rob pointed out would also be my guess for biggest concern. How much $$ would it take for someone at Rio/DNNA to entertain the idea of a paid release. Having a specific feature list and a defined schedule is just more comforting. I'm not made of money, but that comfort is worth a few bucks to me. Starting at $50 and moving upward depending on the details of the proposal.

Giving access to an outside party that already has some vested interest in the empeg, under NDA (and likely anti-competetive contract) of course, is also something interesting I hadn't thought of.

I also bring this to this forum where I believe it's as good a place as any for initial exploration. Might as well find out if people would have any interest parting with money while taking some time to find out who would be the right contact at Rio/DNNA to propose the idea to.

Bruno

#239832 - 03/11/2004 11:19 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: mcomb]
tman
carpal tunnel

$50k for the source code is way too cheap. Think about how many years worth of work has gone into it and also the fact that it's still being used in the Karma and other players.

I'm pretty sure the let a third party have access to the code under NDA has come up several times before as well. Oddly I can't find the specific search terms to get the posts back.

#239833 - 03/11/2004 11:35 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: canuckInOR]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Especially when you consider the number of folks (such as myself) that are reasonably happy with the feature set as it is.

Indeed. People on this BBS are unrepresentative, don't forget; unrepresentative even among Empeg owners. Of the Empeg owners I know IRL, one runs 2.0 and the rest are all sufficiently happy with 1.0 not to upgrade. And that's a free upgrade.

Peter

#239834 - 03/11/2004 12:21 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: FireFox31]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Well, I'd do quite a lot for $50k

That said, the design and prototyping is only half the battle, the manufacture is the other half, and the software is the other other half if not three quarters

pca

#239835 - 03/11/2004 14:08 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: canuckInOR]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Especially when you consider the number of folks (such as myself) that are reasonably happy with the feature set as it is.
Yup. About the only thing I really want that I don't have is the ability to play drm files, and that isn't going to happen.

As far as a solution to the "I want more software" problem, I suppose you could always try to drum up enough money to hire some programmers to create new, totally open source code for the empeg. I don't know what the guys would say to that, but I'm guessing it'd cost a LOT more than 50K. Besides, in the end it'd problably end up being a lot of work to get just a little bit more than we already have, and there's no guarantee that the new software would do a good job of implementing the features we already have.

I think we just have to suck up the limitations of the current solution and be happy. And I am happy when I think that the sfotware I'm running (2.0) still kicks the tail of any other mp3 player out there.

[blasphemy]
You know, at some point someone IS going to come out with a better way than the empeg for listening to digital audio in your car, especially with the exporuse iPods have been getting recently in the media.
[/blasphemy]

#239836 - 03/11/2004 14:36 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: JeffS]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
You know, at some point someone IS going to come out with a better way than the empeg for listening to digital audio in your car

Yeah, I'm sure my grandchildren will enjoy that player.

#239837 - 03/11/2004 15:58 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: JeffS]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
As far as a solution to the "I want more software" problem, I suppose you could always try to drum up enough money to hire some programmers to create new, totally open source code for the empeg. I don't know what the guys would say to that, but I'm guessing it'd cost a LOT more than 50K.

To pay for this to be done commercially would certainly cost a lot more. You'd need a team about the size of empeg in days gone by (say 8 - 10) working for a year or so to come up with something useful. That's about £2m at market contract rates, or you could hire the team and run it as an entity for about £1m per year.

I've no doubt that good open source player software could be developed by the open source community, but I don't believe there are near enough players in use to reach a sufficiently large audience (of both contributors and users) for such a project to gain impetus.

Rob

#239838 - 03/11/2004 16:08 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Personally, I'd be happy with the current V3 but merely bugfixed...

#239839 - 03/11/2004 16:09 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I started this thread on the premise of paying for 3.0, not new (ie. different) player application.

The money would be "padding" aka sweetener. You're not going to hire anyone full-time for $50K. And anyone capable of writing a good replacement player isn't going to do it for that price unless it's also a labour of love for them.

Speaking specifically (because some people are happy with the way it is), I'd really like to have a final/stable release with cross-fading, full soup support (with the ability to opt-out certain criteria, like 1-track artists from the artists list), the concept of an "album" if not already inherent to the soup implementation and the ability for emplode to edit the ID3 data of tracks already on the player (modify player DB, sync and offer the option to update ID3). If I want to get Fancy, I'd LOVE to see some of what Tonyc has provided in Emphatic (custom info screens) built into the player. But that's already doable, so I wouldn't ask for that over the abobve and/or what's already on the table with 3.0 (including features that are being exposed from other projects).

Access by a third party to the source looks like the most interesting, even if not possible, idea. Hey, maybe someone that works for Rio right now would be interested in doing this on their "off" time. Though I imagine that would be a stretch and leave very little time for things like sleep or a life outside work.

If I was independently wealthy I'd bite the bullet, propose this myself, bank-roll it myself and give it to everyone else for free. Or hell, sink a few million into just coming up with a completely new design and then sell it to the board members for the price of a hamburger. It would be money-losing, but would leave some satisfaction for me.

Bruno

#239840 - 03/11/2004 17:07 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: tman]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:
$50k for the source code is way too cheap.

Oh, I agree completely and that is why I wouldn't expect them to go for it and I'm not convinced the community would come up with the money for it if they did. FWIW, I wasn't suggesting a buyout of the source, just an open source branch that we could do what we want with. It wouldn't prevent dnna from continuing to use it in other projects.

Anyway, I'd be happy just to see a stable, v3 build. If I say visual 3 times fast do you suppose Toby will pop in and fix that one visual that always crashes?

-Mike

#239841 - 03/11/2004 17:17 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: mcomb]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It wouldn't prevent dnna from continuing to use it in other projects.

That's not the issue. The problem is that making an open source branch would mean releasing huge portions of their IP. It's all commercially viable technology still. If all of the car player code was no longer used in any current and future products then maybe.

It all depends on the corporate policy I guess. Some companies are trying the open source model and earning money by selling a complete package or support.

Releasing just the car player specific parts wouldn't be any use either as the core would have to be rewritten. Might as well start from scratch at that point.

#239842 - 03/11/2004 17:40 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: hybrid8]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I think this is a great idea. It'd be interesting to see how much moola could be raised. I think that if the money actually existed, the fixes would get done, somehow.

In practice, I think there are perhaps 200 people on this BBS who might contribute some amount of money up to US$100 or so for this, maybe averaging around US$75. That would give around US$15000 to work with, I think.

Cheers

#239843 - 03/11/2004 18:10 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: tman]
mdavey
enthusiast

Quote:

It all depends on the corporate policy I guess. Some companies are trying the open source model and earning money by selling a complete package or support.

Corporate, once convinced of the merits of strategic open source, tends to follow the advice of the product development team when considering what and when to open source bits of their software, in my experience. Rob has already indicated that he believes the player gives Rio a strategic advantage. Clearly, Ogg and Flac and good ID tag support are currently useful differentiators right now (but these alone aren't the reason that the player is important IP).

Permitting the guys in blue to spend more time on Empeg would hurt Rio. Open Sourcing the code would hurt Rio. Open Sourcing some other minor bits and pieces wouldn't help get 3.00 final. Providing a couple of trusted individuals with access to internal code and tools might be viable. What other options are there?

Well, one option might be to form an Empeg Foundation Ltd and seek a source-code license (for the player software including Receiver Edition branch, and Emplode) and trademark use rights from DNNA. Those that remember Acorn will recall that this is effectively what RiscOS Ltd agreed with Pace Micro. The real question is whether the community is willing to pay $50 per year for updated software, a magazine, T-shirt and regular meet-events.

There are probably other options of which I haven't thought.

#239844 - 03/11/2004 21:14 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: mdavey]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
The real question is whether the community is willing to pay $50 per year for updated software, a magazine, T-shirt and regular meet-events.

Wow, you haven't been around here long, have you?

#239845 - 03/11/2004 23:02 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: cushman]
mdavey
enthusiast

Thinking about this some more, a licensing agreement would likely have to also include the ability to sub-license the resulting software to markets outside the car player / portable player / home receiver / non-competitive-with-DNNA markets to qualify as a viable business case. I'd hope that RISCOS Ltd get a significant revenue stream from somewhere other than sales of 3900 upgrades that they quote in their end of year 4 press release (they currently charge ~£85 for the ROM).

I'm finding it difficult to think of something that could benefit from a neat embedded player that DNNA isn't already selling or likely to be working hard to license its technology. DAB / HD Radio player? Unless a significant revenue stream could be made by sub-licensing in-car entertainment solutions.

#239846 - 03/11/2004 23:09 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: mdavey]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Why? I think many of us would be happy to have someone with some free time hacking at the empeg codebase with the only intent being to make the empeg software better. I think it would be cool if that group of people could have access to it and allow Rio to utilize thier upgrades, if any. That could conceivably lower the cost. Maybe.

#239847 - 03/11/2004 23:52 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
As if it needed to be said, I'd be a willing party in such an arrangement. emphatic is already there for the taking, but I enjoy it enough that I'd be happy to chip in some development work to whatever project may materialize out of this discussion that I could swear we've had about a dozen times.

#239848 - 04/11/2004 03:46 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

But did the subject of money come up right from the start? And did it get taken to the next level? (ie. proposed to Rio) I didn't initially think about someone else (outside of Rio emploees) providing coding services because of their unfamiliarity with the project - I'm sure it's a fairly big deal to get familiar enough with the player software to become productive quickly.

Bruno

#239849 - 04/11/2004 07:29 Re: Let's talk money... For software. [Re: wfaulk]
mdavey
enthusiast

Quote:
Why?

I have made two distinct proposals.

First: a small select group of individuals be given access to the internal codebase and tools. These individuals would not be DNNA employees and would work on the codebase in their free time.

Second: a company is set up to acquire a license to the Empeg codebase, including trademark and sub-licensing agreements. The company employs staff and generates revenue streams to cover wages, licensing and overheads.

My first proposal is better for the community (assuming we can find willing volunteers that DNNA are happy with). I'd expect DNNA management to find it much easier to understand the value proposition of my second proposal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >