Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#287106 - 25/09/2006 05:50 How to crash emplode in one easy lesson
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
If you ever want to make emplode crash, here's how...

All you have to do is display the contents of your player by Artist, or by Genre, or by Album, then try to re-name one of the Artists, Genres, or Albums.

I think emplode doesn't like renaming the parent when there are "children" involved. For example, I had an album with a genre of "omedy" instead of "Comedy". Trying to rename that genre to Comedy crashed emplode, possibly because the the child tracks were still named "omedy", no longer matching the parent.

This erased several hours of work creating a "Favorites" playlist of linked tracks. There went Chopin through the first half of Mozart. Sigh...

tanstaafl.

#287107 - 25/09/2006 06:23 Re: How to crash emplode in one easy lesson [Re: tanstaafl.]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Sync early and sync often...

#287108 - 25/09/2006 11:22 Re: How to crash emplode in one easy lesson [Re: tanstaafl.]
Snowshoe
new poster

Loc: Midwest
Had that happen to me awhile back. I would make many changes trying to cleanup areas that may have been missing either artist, genre, comments, or album names. Figured this would be the fastest way until after a few times of crashing the other way was faster.

#287109 - 26/09/2006 02:09 Re: How to crash emplode in one easy lesson [Re: andy]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
Sync early and sync often...

Sigh... but it is always a tradeoff. I have enough tracks in the player that synching takes a long time -- about 10-12 minutes, I think.

In the past I have had emplode crash through (I believe) sheer number of changes, so I am cautious about that. But this one caught me by surprise! Even though I had a lot of time invested, there weren't all that many changes made. I was creating a linked list of favorites, which meant not only listening to each track in the player long enough to decide if it merited being included in the favorites list, but going through and painstakingly deciding which performance was the best in the case of multiple recordings of the same piece. For example, I have six different performances of Mozart's "Rondo alla Turca".

However, for the most part I remembered what decisions I had made earlier, so re-doing what I lost took considerably less time than it had the first time through.

tanstaafl.