Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#287786 - 02/10/2006 14:22 Is there a way to keep Emplode from "Checking Disk Integrity"
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
The subject spells it out, but basically Emplode does it's Checking Disk Integrity thing everytime I sync. Even after I do e2fsck it still does the disk test on sync.

I thought I remembered there was a way to make it so it would never do this test?

#287787 - 02/10/2006 14:46 Re: Is there a way to keep Emplode from "Checking Disk Integrity" [Re: bodybag]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
There is a way to make it so that emplode will not sync merely because the "time to sync" clock has expired. But if there is underlying trouble with the filesystems, this will not help you. The FAQ entry about fsck says a lot.

Given that you were just working on the player, I would recommend a full manual sync, just in case. This should reset all of the timers and fix any trouble that you might be having. For a "step by step" for a dual drive system, do the following:

q #quit the player application and go to shell
fsck -fay / #root filesystem first
fsck -fay /dev/hda4 #music partition drive 0
fsck -fay /dev/hdc4 #music partition drive 1
rom #read only music, just to be safe
ro #read only root, just to be safe
exit

Then try a reboot and resync.

#287788 - 02/10/2006 14:53 Re: Is there a way to keep Emplode from "Checking Disk Integrity" [Re: pgrzelak]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Don't skip any of the steps Paul spelled out (his comments are preceded by #, so don't type any of the #s or the comments after them) especially the "ro" and "rom" commands as well as the reboot by physically removing the power cable from the player.

Obviously you'll need the Developer version of the player software installed. (Just throwing this in there in case anyone finds this thread via a search).

#287789 - 02/10/2006 15:24 Re: Is there a way to keep Emplode from "Checking Disk Integrity" [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

The FAQ link is actually a bit more complete, including turning on swap - a good point that I missed.

Edit: The ability to stop that timed check is a feature of hijack. Look for "Filesystem Check on Sync: Enable/Disable" in the hijack menu.

Edited by pgrzelak (02/10/2006 15:45)

#287790 - 02/10/2006 16:02 Re: Is there a way to keep Emplode from "Checking Disk Integrity" [Re: pgrzelak]
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
My problem is that contrary to this FAQ entry:

"EXT2-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended"

This means that on the next synch, your player will need to do its long "checking disk integrity" thing. It's nothing to worry about and you can safely ignore it. It will go away after the next synch.

My player does the Check during EVERY sync. It doesn't go away after the next sync as explained in the FAQ.

I will go home tonight and do a full manual sync as described in the FAQ and in Paul's post and see if that fixes it. Otherwise I guess I'll use Hijack to disable it.

#287791 - 02/10/2006 16:34 Re: Is there a way to keep Emplode from "Checking Disk Integrity" [Re: bodybag]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

One possibility is that emplode cannot perform the fsck, but does not crash and continues with the sync. This can happen when there is not enough memory for the fsck to run (or complete). Remember that during a sync, the player application is still running, so there is even less memory to play with. So if you are running an alpha (larger memory footprint), have large drives (larger memory requirements to fsck), have third party applications resident (more applications in memory), this kind of thing can happen.

A manual check will clear the immediate need, and the hijack setting will eliminate it in the future.

#287792 - 02/10/2006 17:33 Re: Is there a way to keep Emplode from "Checking Disk Integrity" [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
My player does the Check during EVERY sync. It doesn't go away after the next sync as explained in the FAQ.

My guess, then, is that it's not doing the check because of maximal mount count, it's doing the check because of a corrupted filesystem, as described later in that same FAQ entry.

#287793 - 02/10/2006 21:30 Re: Is there a way to keep Emplode from "Checking Disk Integrity" [Re: bodybag]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
My problem is that contrary to this FAQ entry:

"EXT2-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended"

This means that on the next synch, your player will need to do its long "checking disk integrity" thing. It's nothing to worry about and you can safely ignore it. It will go away after the next synch.

I will go home tonight and do a full manual sync as described in the FAQ and in Paul's post and see if that fixes it. Otherwise I guess I'll use Hijack to disable it.

If this is all that's wrong (bad date/time are the most likely culprit), then just disabling the checks from the Hijack menu will get rid of them.

Cheers

#287794 - 03/10/2006 04:50 Re: Is there a way to keep Emplode from "Checking Disk Integrity" [Re: bodybag]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Emplode does it's Checking Disk Integrity thing everytime I sync.

A clarification:

emplode will report that it's doing its Checking Disk Integrity thing every time you sync. This is normal. What it's doing is running fsck every time, to see if the disks need checking.

Normally, fsck exits immediately, because there's nothing to be done; so you'll see the "Checking Disk Integrity" message for half a second or so.

If it's actually doing disk checks (i.e. the message stays up for several minutes, and the progress bar's doing its thing), then it is really checking the disks. If it's doing this every time, then you've got a problem, and should work through the trouble-shooting steps that the other guys suggest.