Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#368369 - 17/02/2017 22:47 IDE SSD recommendations for the Empeg Car Player?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
(I tried to use the BBS search feature to find all posts containing "SSD" so I could see other threads where this has been discussed before. Oddly, the BBS search function returned zero results. I know that's incorrect, but I also know of no way to fix it. So what the heck, let's start a new thread.)

I have recently been considering upgrading the 32gb winchester IDE drive in my Empeg Mark 2, to a 64gb or larger SSD. The current drive has been super-reliable for many years, but I've run out of space and recently had to delete some music in order to fit new music on the player. I figure, since I'm going to be increasing the drive size anyway, why not get a drive that isn't suceptible to physical vibration issues.

Searching Amazon.com for "IDE SSD" gets a lot of hits. I'm wondering if anyone knows if they will all work perfectly, or if there are compatibility issues with any of them?

Are there any "gotchas" in the process of upgrading the empeg with an IDE SSD, any things that would be different than a winchester IDE drive in that regard? For instance, will all of the formatting and data-duplicating commands work exactly the same? Will the empeg firmware detect the drive correctly? Are there any special commands I need to issue? If I'm doing a direct-copy of all the data from my old drive to the new drive, will it work the same way it says in the drive upgrade guide?

#368370 - 17/02/2017 23:00 Re: IDE SSD recommendations for the Empeg Car Player? [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
The bbs doesn't index words less than 4 letters. But People often refer to them in the plural, try searching for SSDS.

#368371 - 18/02/2017 00:43 Re: IDE SSD recommendations for the Empeg Car Player? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Ah, thanks! I should have remembered that.

Most recent thread that included discussion of SSDs:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/368036

#368372 - 18/02/2017 02:52 Re: IDE SSD recommendations for the Empeg Car Player? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada