Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#984 - 05/12/1999 22:14 MP3 Autoradio
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
ok, so out of curiosity, why the name change on
http://www.online.de/home/toscana/products.htm ?
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#985 - 06/12/1999 07:14 Re: MP3 Autoradio [Re: dionysus]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK

Thanks for posting that URL - it's the first we've ever heard of it. Unfortunately we have no German speakers here at the moment, so I'm not certain what the site is about - but I am certain that they've taken content from our web site without our permission.

I'll get our legal people onto it now, but I'd like to point out that we have no appointed distributors anywhere in the world right now. I don't know who these people are, and we certainly haven't sold any stock to them.

I would strongly advise everyone to send no money to Toscana Import/Export, and if anyone knows anything about them, please get in touch ([email protected]).

Rob

#986 - 06/12/1999 07:54 Re: MP3 Autoradio [Re: rob]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
It looks like their contact e-mail is [email protected]
I don't speak German either, however running the site through babelfish we get the following.

(Main Page)
It is time to sell your CD Change-over SWITCH in the auto.
Our MP3-Autoradio is perfectly new. It is miniature a computer on a Linux the operating system runs, and which can play transferred MP3 files in CD Quality.
In the device a Digital/INTEL StrongARM processor with a clock frequency from 220Mhz, with sufficient performance for MP3 decoding, and enough power reserves for future applications or extensions runs.
It has 8Mb RAM memory, and a Flash ROM for the initialisation program.
Up to two 2,5 " Notebook fixed disks can be built into the impact-protected framework: with the at present available capacities from it 28GB storage space result. At one spieldauer of 17 hours per GB this storage space is enough out for 476 hours music in absolute CD Quality. Can your CD Change-over SWITCH keep up there?

A special DSP built in the audio section (digital sound processor) with a D/A transducer enables the adjustment of bass, heights, balance and Fader for the 4 outputs. For each of the four outputs a 5b-and Equalizer is available.

The decoding of the stored MPEG files takes place via software. This software can decode MPEG 1-Layer 3 and MPEG 2 compression. Future standards can be decoded by supplement of the software likewise. This guarantees that your device remains also in the future on the newest status.

At the front of the device is a diagram fluorescence display. This display serves among other things for paging through the menus and shows the titles to be played.
At the rear side a serial interface (230.400bps max.) is, the USB port (12Mbit), the plug of the external current supply for at home, the audio sockets to the link to the domestic stereoanlage and the Docking plug for the card frame in the auto.
How do your favourite titles come into your car radio?
They pull the device from the Docking station in the vehicle and attach the MP3-Autoradio over the USB port or the serial interface to the PC. With the provided PC software you can copy within a short time MP3-Dateien from the PC into empeg the car radio. They can arrange " Play lists " and much more besides.
Besides you can receive radio endings with the MP3-Autoradio naturally also still. A RDS recipient is with inserted. In the display you see insertions to the sender names and radio text.
With the infrared remote maintenance belongs to the basic equipment.

(On their order page...)

Configuration: Car radio MP3 Player, with 4 GB fixed disk - sufficient for approx. 70 hours of music, Quick change picture frame for fast removing of the device, external power pack, PC software for Windows. Note: the device does not possess inserted power amplifiers!
Most important advantages
play and a recording of MP3 files
RDS radio with radio text and display of the sender name
also at home connectable to the stereoanlage
in the final development up to 476 hours of music storable

Prices (inclusive 16% MwSt. and forwarding expenses)
Description Art. NR. Price
MP3 car radio, 4 GB Art. NR. 1000 2,750. - DM
second disk, 4.0GB Art. NR. 1002 680. - DM

(A form is displayed here)
Form for the request of further information Make your choice, and you indicate to us, how we can achieve you.
Transmit to me additional documentation over the MP3 car radio
I would like to order. Please you transmit the order papers to me.

To the delivery situation: At present (at the end of October) the manufacturer about 12,000 orders are present. Delivered of it become/will the first 4,000 at present. For new orderers that means that her in approximately with a delivery time of 3 to 4 months to count must. There the demand at present, can the delivery time is enormous however still extend.

Jazz
(List 112, S/N 00030, 4 gig blue)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#987 - 06/12/1999 08:29 Re: MP3 Autoradio [Re: rob]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
...they're even using your "empegcar" graphic - and they didn't obther to translate the technical specifications
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#988 - 06/12/1999 08:55 Re: MP3 Autoradio [Re: Jazzwire]
KC1
new poster

Loc: Germany
Hi there,

i'm german and i checked out the site. you guys sure should do something about it casue they trying to sell your product as there own product, I guess the order a big a mount of your Empeg through the waiting list.cause it says if you order at their site you'll have to wait 4 to 5 month.
If i can be of any help let me know...

KC

#989 - 06/12/1999 09:40 Re: MP3 Autoradio [Re: rob]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
but I am certain that they've taken content from our web site without our permission

The filenames of the JPEG images on the site are the same as those on the empeg
site picture page - they haven't even bothered trying to change them!

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#990 - 06/12/1999 10:47 Re: MP3 Autoradio [Re: rob]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
I would strongly advise everyone to send no money to Toscana Import/Export, and if anyone knows anything about them, please get
in touch ([email protected]).

We'll do our part, just make sure you don't sell an excess amount of units to someone in Germany... ;)

(O|||||O)
S/N 00246 6GB Blue

#991 - 07/12/1999 10:08 Re: MP3 Autoradio [Re: KC1]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm afraid I can't comment any further on this thread, as this is now in the hands of our lawyers.

Rob

#992 - 07/12/1999 20:18 Re: MP3 Autoradio [Re: Jazzwire]
mafisto
journeyman

Loc: St. Paul, MN, USA
Funny... it doesn't look like they're really trying to hide the Empeg logo - every graphic with EmpegCar is proudly displayed. Might these fine Germans be so naive that they have no clue as to their legal trespasses?