Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1580 - 10/02/2000 07:09 One and only opportunity to skip the queue
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I have already touched on this in another thread, but it was a little discrete so here it is again surrounded with animated neon and strobe lighting.

We have about half a dozen brand new Mk.1 players that were overlooked until now. The absolute earliest that Mk.2 players will start to ship is the end of April, and then there are about 1000 deferrals to take care of, press loans etc etc. We don't expect to reach clients at the end of the queue until around the middle of the year.

If you would like to buy a Mk.1 player right now (and I mean we can ship tomorrow if you pay by credit card) please send me an email. There's no discount, but you'll qualify for the Mk.2 discount when it becomes available, and you could be an empeg owner several months sooner than expected.

We have 6Gb, 10Gb and 20Gb players available, in Blue, Green or Amber. Please note that no extra car mounts are available at the moment, although we'll be able to supply them at a later date.

If more people apply for a player than we have stock, I'll use registration numbers to decide who gets them.

Rob
[email protected]

#1581 - 10/02/2000 07:43 Re: One and only opportunity to skip the queue [Re: rob]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
About the Mk.2 discount for existing owners... Will it be a one time offer, or will we be able to take advantage of it as and when we can afford it (I only ask, because I'll be on holiday for the last 3 weeks in April, and I sort of expect to be seriously strapped for cash for a while on my return )

I'm also curious as to which group will get preference, past deferrals or existing owners? But as I said above, it's probably going to be academic as far as I'm concerned...

Or have the final details not been sorted out yet?

Personally speaking, (although I hope to upgrade to a Mk.2 as soon as I possibly can) since I already have a Mk.1, I can't really argue against those who deferred being given first choice... (as long as it doesn't take too long )

Geoff
---- -------
Reg No. 554, s/n 00064 - It's mine I tell you.... all mine :)
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#1582 - 10/02/2000 10:48 Re: One and only opportunity to skip the queue [Re: Geoff]
rob
carpal tunnel

As far as I'm aware no decision has been made on the timespan of the discount offer - I'll raise this.

We're putting systems in place to ship around 200 players a week from May, so it's fairly academic whether we ship to owners or defered clients first. My guess is that we'll mix them both together, and satisfy everyone within a few weeks.

Rob

#1583 - 10/02/2000 11:38 Re: One and only opportunity to skip the queue [Re: rob]
BasicGuy
stranger

Rob I brought this up earlier and you said you never thought of it.
But what about people who bought it off ebay do we get a discont on mark 2.
Also Will we be able to get a Mark 2 right away or have to use or original
que number?

Thanks,
BasicGuy

#1584 - 10/02/2000 15:31 Re: One and only opportunity to skip the queue [Re: BasicGuy]
rob
carpal tunnel

This is something I've been thinking about. I'll need to discuss it with Steve before making any definite decision.

Right now my line of thought is that the discount will be offered to the original purchaser of the Mk.1 player. If that person has sold his or her player, and chooses to take advantage of their discount for a Mk.2, then the person who bought that player second hand will not qualify for any discount. If, however, the original purchaser wishes to pass up the opportunity for a discounted Mk.2 then that opportunity could be passed on to the new owner.

In this way our original clients are given first refusal of the discount, which is especially important as some clients are already offering their Mk.1 players for sale in preparation for purchasing a Mk.2. Those who bought their player second hand may still have an opportunity for a discount, depending on the intentions of our original client.

Obviously we cannot offer more than one discount per original purchase, and I think this is the fairest approach. It's not written in stone yet, so let me know your thoughts.

Rob

#1585 - 10/02/2000 16:05 Re: One and only opportunity to skip the queue [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

It's not written in stone yet, so let me know your thoughts.

Being a second-hand owner, this sounds fair to me. It makes sense. I wouldn't want the original owner of my player to miss out on the discount, but I wouldn't expect Empeg to offer ad infinitum discounts to every subsequent second-hand buyer. One discount per serial number sounds fair, and easy enough to track. I'm guessing you'll put a time limit on the discount offer to prevent long-term confusion.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.