Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1915 - 18/03/2000 12:47 Beta-10 upgrade problem
corby
journeyman

Maybe I was salivating so much over Beta-10 that I short-circuited something.

I went through the regular procedure for installing the upgrade (this is the fifth beta release I have applied). Every time I plug in the power cord at the right time, the empeg-car upgrade wizard says:

The upgrade failed.

Error "Bad flash ID" occurred during stage 0x10.

The player appears to be operating perfectly fine, I just can't apply the upgrade.

Can someone help?

Thanks,
Corby
SN#320, 6-Gig Blue

#1916 - 18/03/2000 13:40 Re: Beta-10 upgrade problem [Re: corby]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hmmm... perhaps try these things... (these are stabs in the dark, so forgive me...)

1) Leave the unit powered up, but in "Standby" mode when you apply the upgrade. I don't have to remove and reapply power when I do an upgrade.

2) Make sure you've got the latest (beta 10) Emplode and Empeg Upgrade Tool before trying to apply the upgrade.

3) Make sure the Upgrade file is undamaged: Re-download the upgrade file using GetRight. (Mike... I liked it once upon a time, when you used to Zip the upgrade files, that way I knew for sure the files were valid when they unzipped successfully)

4) Try the 9C+ upgrade once more and see if that works.

5) If your COM port for the upgrade shares an IRQ with your modem, make sure you're offline before trying to run the upgrade.

Let us know how it goes.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#1917 - 18/03/2000 14:45 Re: Beta-10 upgrade problem [Re: tfabris]
corby
journeyman

Thank you, Tony! It's really cool of you to help me out when beta10 is just sitting there on my hard drive, laughing at me, mocking me...

For whatever reason, when I did the sync in "Standby" mode, it went off without a hitch. I don't have a clue what that means. I had been hesitant to start syncs with the power on before, because I had inferred there was a remote chance of actually damaging your unit that way. But everything looks cool.

Now, it's time to play...

Corby
SN#320, 6-Gig Blue