Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#8358 - 25/05/2000 03:57 Found video about empeg !!
teemcbee
addict

I found a video (with gnutella) about the empeg-player. A little introduction and then some visuals of the empeg are shown. The hardcase is also shown in the video.

UUUuuuhhh this is such a cool thing. I'm very impressed!
I always wanted a MkII but now I hardly can wait getting it!
Don't really know.

The size of the video is about 41 MB.
Rob is there maybe a way to make a link on your site? I could send it by mail if you're interested.

TeeMcBee

#8359 - 25/05/2000 08:07 Re: Found video about empeg !! [Re: teemcbee]
Mark Petersen
journeyman

Loc: Denmark, Kbh Ø
if you search this bbs you will find a link to it

Mark
wait for mk III with a USB Host/slave
(USB->Ethernet)(USB->COM 1-8)(USB->You name it)

#8360 - 25/05/2000 08:29 Re: Found video about empeg !! [Re: teemcbee]
Kureg

In reply to:

I found a video (with gnutella) about the empeg-player. A little introduction and then some visuals of the empeg are shown. The hardcase is also shown in the video. {snip snip} Rob is there maybe a way to make a link on your site?

I believe the video you are referring to is already referenced on the empeg developer's site. Follow the link to Steve Hartman's empeg page.

In each newsletter since... umm, I think 11, there has been a link to the empeg developer's site, which is where I've absorbed quite a deal of information about the empeg. Anyone who hasn't been there should go there soon.

The "hard case" that is shown in the video is a home-brew case created by Steve himself. It doesn't come with the empeg. You can buy the case from Pelican for about 80 bucks and then cut the foam to fit the empeg. I believe the case is a Pelican 1400.

Kureg

#8361 - 25/05/2000 23:02 Re: Found video about empeg !! [Re: Kureg]
teemcbee
addict

I've checked the developer's site. You're right! That's the video. I think i'll have to do my homework better and read a little bit more...

TeeMcBee

#8362 - 26/05/2000 07:23 Re: Found video about empeg !! [Re: teemcbee]
Kureg

In reply to:

I've checked the developer's site. You're right! That's the video. I think i'll have to do my homework better and read a little bit more...

It's still quite a journey to get there though, and if someone who's never been to empeg before wants to do some research, they probably won't come across it in the first 15 minutes of surfing .

Hopefully the new empeg site will have a video or tour of some sort. Would make great for advertising. After seeing Steve Hartman's empeg video, it almost made me cry that I wouldn't be seeing an empeg Mark II until maybe even late August .

Kureg.

#8363 - 27/05/2000 08:57 Re: Found video about empeg !! [Re: Kureg]
Qbus
new poster

i am upset then went and name the visual Snakes not Spürm.

#8364 - 27/05/2000 15:39 Re: Found video about empeg !! [Re: Qbus]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, that was my suggestion. I was kind of proud of it. Ah, well, they named two of the visuals after my suggestions, so I'm pretty proud anyway.

#8365 - 27/05/2000 17:16 Re: Found video about empeg !! [Re: Qbus]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Spürm sounds too much like it should be an Ikea coffee table :-)

Rob

#8366 - 28/05/2000 03:06 Re: Found video about empeg !! [Re: rob]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Spürm sounds too much like it should be an Ikea coffee table :-)

I think you've got Ikea on the brain, Rob.

Anyway, it was always called snakes, ever since it was the first thing of any interest ever to run on the display of an empeg from userspace[1][2]. It's one of only two graphical visuals that were actually written by me in C++ rather than Toby in assembler.

[1] I had to add the "from userspace" since the first thing of any interest was actually one of Toby's visuals hacked into the kernel. He always beats me to it!

[2] Well, I needed something to test the display driver with... :)

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#8367 - 28/05/2000 13:19 Re: Found video about empeg !! [Re: Mark Petersen]
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
The Link is at:
http://steve.nac.net/empeg/

I might be interested in making an updated video if the empeg people are looking for one.

I'm glad everyone likes the video.

-CHiP

#8368 - 29/05/2000 15:15 Re: Found video about empeg !! [Re: mac]
corby
journeyman

Holy crap, there's a fun fact!

I had no idea the visuals were written in assembly. I assume that's just a temporary situation until you can get some higher-level libraries in place for managing some of the common tasks?

Corby
SN#320, 6-Gig Blue

#8369 - 29/05/2000 17:26 Re: Found video about empeg !! [Re: corby]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Hmm, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'd consider the fact that the visuals are written in assembler and not a high level language to be a good thing! Toby is a very talented ARM coder, and understands a lot of neat techniques and optimisations that C compilers will miss.

Of course, visuals can be written in a high level language as well, we just need to get some stubs and a plug in system worked out before you can add your own to the player.

Rob