Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#13856 - 13/08/2000 19:59 Checking Disk Integrity
Fogduck

Loc: BC
I am doing about 4-6 syncs a day, adding more music, changing playlists or file information...and about 80% of the time, it does an integrity check.

(I set the date and time a few days ago and its within minutes of what my PC is set to.)

I'll start a sync and then emplode sits on 'Checking disk integrity (this may take some time)' for at least 5 minutes, and the status bar doesn't even begin to move. emplode is so tied up it won't even re-paint its window area if I drag another window across it.

While its sitting there, my empeg has the 'synchronising' animation bouncing around, but there's no head movement at all.

Then, after its sat there, seemingly hung, for 5-10 minutes, it suddenly continues onto the next step and everything is fine, it happily starts sucking down files.

Yah, I can live with it, but I'll not lightly make even little adjustments without having a large batch of other necessary things to do, since I know its got a 60%-80% chance of going into this vegetative state. It usually takes longer for it to do [whatever its doing] than it takes for it to upload a couple discs worth of music.

I know that an integrity check on a 12GB drive should take some non-trivial amount of time, but thats not the point: its checking integrity more than it needs to.

Otherwise, my empeg is wicked and I love it.

Anyone care to comment?

--------------------
Reg #57xx, Ser #080000141, Rec'd Aug.11/00
- - - MK2 #141 12GB Queue #5723 (SOLD) MK2a 30GB + grn + tuner + blk empeg case

#13857 - 13/08/2000 20:17 Re: Checking Disk Integrity [Re: Fogduck]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Try turning on logging (an option in Emplode), then look at the resulting log file after a synch.

If the log file has time stamps, you can see where the long pause is. If it doesn't, you could try opening the log file during the pause.

#13858 - 13/08/2000 20:19 Re: Checking Disk Integrity [Re: Fogduck]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Oh, and next time, post this sort of thing in Bug Reports so Mike notices it.