Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15857 - 29/08/2000 11:23 ground loop/ bay area install
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I wasn't quite sure where else to stick this, so here goes. I've been hunting around for installers, and this place in San Rafael called Rolling Thunder came highly recommended and has won tons of awards for best installer in CA. Sooo... I emailed the guy to see if they had dealt with any Empegs before, and he said the following:

Yes we have. The units do not have good ground loop isolation and both units
we have installed had noise introduced from the vehicles electrical system.
I recommend waiting for one of the units soon to be released from Sony,
Panasonic, etc. They should be available real soon. jeff

So, disregarding the crap about sony and panasonic....

1. is anyone on this list one of the two that was installed? If so how was the experience?

2. What is the ground loop isolation he speaks of? Is this problem avoidable? Is it a known problem with the MK1 that was fixed in the MK2?

Thanks!!

||| loren.cox
||| reg:13810
||| 12GB blue

#15858 - 29/08/2000 11:27 Re: ground loop/ bay area install [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
2. What is the ground loop isolation he speaks of? Is this problem avoidable? Is it a known problem with the MK1 that was fixed in the MK2?

Precisely. The Mark 1 had a somewhat non-standard set of line-output jacks which required special grounding adapters. The Mark 2's are more standard and don't require special grounding considerations.

#15859 - 29/08/2000 11:32 Re: ground loop/ bay area install [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
kick ass. Thanks for the info. I'll let him know and convert the blasphemer to the way of the EMPEG!!

||| loren.cox
||| reg:13810
||| 12GB blue