Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18136 - 19/09/2000 08:25 ASPI error while grabbing
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Folks, I need help. I can't grab the last track (nr 11) of the "White Ladder" CD from David Gray.

This last track is 3:40 long, but AudioCatalyst thinks it is 6:10. During grabbing, AC finds the 3:40 of music OK as there is peak activity until about 58% through the file. Then the peak indicator in AC drops to zero and at 83% AC bombs out with an ASPI error.

In producing the CD they have obviously fiddled with the file system, as Explorer (and Powerdesk) can't see any of the tracks themselves. They only show the multimedia stuff is shown (Autorun.inf; menu.exe; and a directory named 'Stuff'); no .cda or .wav files at all.

Does anyone know a utility that lets me copy or rip only the first 60% or so of the problem track?
Any suggestions?

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#18137 - 19/09/2000 08:52 Re: ASPI error while grabbing [Re: Henno]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Sounds like they were playing with the format (maybe a CD-Extra or equivalent). You might want to try CDRWIN, a very nice CDR burning package from Goldenhawk Technologies. It is a full featured burner, but it has some very intelligent track and sector extraction utilities. There is also a full version on line (limited to 1x CDR burning, but you can buy it to get access at higher burn speeds). It might help.

Paul G.
Q# 15189

#18138 - 19/09/2000 08:54 Re: ASPI error while grabbing [Re: Henno]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
In reply to:

This last track is 3:40 long, but AudioCatalyst thinks it is 6:10

I have had this problem on a number of occasions. The way round it is to tell AudioCatalyst that you only want 3:40 of audio for that track. I think you can right click on the track and edit start/end positions. I don't have a copy in front of me at the moment so I can't check, but there's definitely a way.

Nick.

--
18Gb blue - s/n 080000299 (original queue position 8724)

#18139 - 19/09/2000 10:38 Re: ASPI error while grabbing [Re: Henno]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I know exactly what this problem is. I've had it happen to me as well.

There is an additional data track at the end of the CD, after the audio tracks. It's a mixed-mode CD that you can put into your CD-ROM drive and play with the software included on the CD. The ripper is getting confused by this and is trying to rip into the lead-out area at the end of the last audio track. Depending on how far it gets, it could either be trying to rip a bunch of silence (0 bytes), or it might be reaching into the CD-ROM data track, which would sound like noise if the rip were successful.

As was already stated, you have to go into the ripper's start/end point parameters for that track and reduce its length so that the last track ends at the correct point.

Interestingly enough, the version of Easy CD Creator 4 that came bundled with my drive doesn't have this problem. I've ripped CDs which contained data tracks with ECD4 and not had any problems with the last track.

#18140 - 19/09/2000 14:09 Re: ASPI error while grabbing [Re: debauch]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
The way round it is to tell AudioCatalyst that you only want 3:40 of audio for that track (..) right click on the track and edit start/end positions.

Yep, that worked. Thanks Nick

(for everyone else: by double clicking a track you can set the start and end positions for ripping. Both in time (minutes/seconds) and sectors from the very beginning of the CD. Easy to find, once you know )

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#18141 - 19/09/2000 14:18 Re: ASPI error while grabbing [Re: Henno]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Whilst I track the answers given by the others here, this is a known problem with the NT version of the CDFS driver. The fixes listed are reasonable, but are workarounds. There is as yet no official M$ fix for it (lazy b******s); you could go to SYSINTERNALS and get a replacement CDFS driver which is bugfixed, repairing the problem at OS level and not application level.

This is the point where you remind me you are using Win 98

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015