Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#19539 - 05/10/2000 18:36 making a virgin backup
dr_relax
new poster

ok since empeg is run on linux I want to backup the drive before I add another drive or boot it for the first time. Just like my tivo.. What is the easiest method!

#19540 - 05/10/2000 18:53 Re: making a virgin backup [Re: dr_relax]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I want to backup the drive... What is the easiest method!

If you want a genuine backup, the easiest way is to remove the drive from the Empeg and plug it into a PC. Then you can use whatever backup software you want. If it's a desktop PC, you'll need an adapter cable and an OS/Backup program which understands Linux partitions.

If you don't want to remove the drive from the Empeg to get the job done, it gets quite complicated. But for the most part, you don't need to do a backup unless you're trying to preserve song files that aren't kept anywhere else.

I highly recommend that you do keep your song files somewhere else so you can avoid even needing to back up the Empeg. Either leave the songs on your PC after you've uploaded them to the Empeg, or make sure to back them up before you delete them from your PC.

Aside from that, you don't need to back up the Empeg's drive because the software partition is completely wiped clean and rebuilt with every software upgrade. The music is kept on a separate partition from the player software and isn't easily damaged unless the hard disk fails.

Empeg doesn't offer a pre-made backup utility at the current time. If they did, then the Empeg would be classified as a music copier rather than a music player, and would need to be subject to the AHRA tax and would come under the scrutiny of the RIAA. This has been the subject of many heated discussions here on the BBS, something I don't think needs to be re-hashed now (since Empeg can't change this fact and it's out of their control).

Dionysus, would you mind doing a FAQ entry on the whole "copy music off the player" issue? I'd do it, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be objective about the subject since I have some pretty strong opinions on it.

#19541 - 05/10/2000 19:25 Re: making a virgin backup [Re: tfabris]
dr_relax
new poster

ok the only reason I asked is because ( i know these are two different machines ) when I did my tivo upgrade I made a backup incase something went wrong.. I guess if the drive crashed or something all the software to get back up and running is online somewhere?!

#19542 - 05/10/2000 20:14 Re: making a virgin backup [Re: dr_relax]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I guess if the drive crashed or something all the software to get back up and running is online somewhere?!

Yup, any one of the software upgrades at the Empeg web site will completely re-write all of the kernel and player software from scratch. And it'll do it without touching the music partition. So even if something goes wrong that completely ruins the software (and nothing will unless you do something stupid in the developer kernel), you can still re-create a working player from scratch using one of their downloadable software upgrades.

If you completely lose a disk drive (something that in fact happened to me recently), recovery is easy assuming you still have your MP3 files: Connect the replacement disk drive, format it (formatting utility available at the Empeg web site), install the latest player software, and then upload your MP3s again.

#19543 - 05/10/2000 20:48 Re: making a virgin backup [Re: dr_relax]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
...You really dont' have to worry about backing up the empeg executables.. UNLIKE tivo, the empeg's application area can be completely trashed and restored without too much trouble, and UNLIKE TIVO, they're actually very helpful in giving hints/etc on how to perform these upgrades...
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!

#19544 - 05/10/2000 23:00 Re: making a virgin backup [Re: dionysus]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Okay, gots to ask, what the *()& is a Tivo ?

I would do a search on it but the last thing I want is 20000 pages about Tivoli Network Management software .

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#19545 - 06/10/2000 01:51 Re: making a virgin backup [Re: dr_relax]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
Say you want to backup to a tape drive connected to your linux PC :

- install inetd, rshd and tar on your empeg.
- start the following command on your linux PC :

rsh -n empeg tar cvzf - / | dd of=/dev/tape

this will create one huge tar-tape...

Frank van Gestel

#19546 - 06/10/2000 05:32 Re: making a virgin backup [Re: dr_relax]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Nooooo!!!! Please no talk of TiVo virgin backups! I read this board to get away from that topic in the other board that I frequent.

As long as no one sends me email asking how to hook up IDE drives to their computer! (Because I put together a boot floppy to help people upgrade their TiVo's I've become customer support for those who've never cracked open their computer cases.)

To the person who asked, TiVo is a hard disk video recorder designed to allow easy timeshifting of TV programs. It runs on Linux and a few months ago some clever people figured out how to add a second drive. You can read about it at TiVo's site and there is also a very active BBS.

-Dylan

#19547 - 06/10/2000 06:49 Re: making a virgin backup [Re: Dylan]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Ah, okay ...

Not really something for me ... yet ...

Thanks, bookmarked it just to be safe

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#19548 - 06/10/2000 10:45 Re: making a virgin backup [Re: Dylan]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
You're that Dylan?!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

For those who know what a TiVo is, but don't know who Dylan is...

Dylan built a linux boot floppy that contains all the tools for backing up and "blessing" TiVo drives.

Don't bug Dylan, but read the FAQ.

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#19549 - 06/10/2000 12:00 Re: making a virgin backup [Re: Dylan]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

Nooooo!!!! Please no talk of TiVo virgin backups! I read this board to get away from that topic in the other board that I frequent.

laugh:) sorry Dylan; didn't want to give you nightmares:) glad to see you on this board though..
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!