Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#21287 - 29/10/2000 14:32 Power On Thump (Again)
jme
new poster

Im sorry to raise the subject here again. After searching the board i've found quite a few threads related to my problems, but unfortunately was unable to find a clear description/solution.

What I'm experiencing is not a power down thump. Everthing's fine there.
What i get is a thump at bootup (and only bootup) of the unit... right when the vfd seem to be actuvated and the empeg logo apears i get a loud thump. no matter if in the car or if connected to a stereo intergrated amplifier at my home ...
normal ?

#21288 - 29/10/2000 15:44 Re: Power On Thump (Again) [Re: jme]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
no matter if in the car or if connected to a stereo intergrated amplifier at my home ...

That statement is the important one. The player shouldn't do that. Even if you're getting an in-car thump, there should definitely be no thump at all when you activate it via AC power.

Sounds like a job for [email protected] to me.

#21289 - 29/10/2000 16:36 Re: Power On Thump (Again) [Re: jme]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
Kindof related but no home AC thump
I get power on thump in the car, but only if I'm starting the car while empeg is booting up. I usually don't push the player, uh um computer, fully into the dock until I've started the engine, so no thump is created.
Anyone ever see the battery icon light up on the Mk2?

#090000695 Mk2 BLUE 12Gig

#21290 - 29/10/2000 17:15 Re: Power On Thump (Again) [Re: jwickis]
ChrisTall
new poster

Loc: South Wales, UK
I get the battery low light on my Mk2 if it restarts without fully powering down, less than 5 minutes in my case. I don't always get it and it has never caused me any problems.

ChrisTall
That really is my name!

#21291 - 29/10/2000 18:23 Re: Power On Thump (Again) [Re: ChrisTall]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
It's never caused a problem just mentioned it. Didn't know it existed.

#090000695 Mk2 BLUE 12Gig

#21292 - 30/10/2000 09:52 Re: Power On Thump (Again) [Re: tfabris]
jme
new poster

well there's actually two of them. one when i connect the ac power and one when the vfd turns on.
by turing down the home amp (or a stereo its connected to) i can reduce them to subtle pops, but which leaves with having to turn up the empeg volume to more or less 0dB depending on the file beeing played ...

#21293 - 30/10/2000 09:57 Re: Power On Thump (Again) [Re: jme]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

but which leaves with having to turn up the empeg volume to more or less 0dB depending on the file beeing played ...

When playing on your in-home amplifier, the Empeg should always be set to 0db, and the volume should be controlled at the Amp. This is normal.

When working in the house, the Empeg should be treated like any other line-level stereo component, such as a CD player, a VCR, or a DVD player. Note that those products don't have their own individual volume controls, they are always playing at 0db. The Empeg should be treated the same way.

#21294 - 30/10/2000 14:47 Re: Power On Thump (Again) [Re: tfabris]
jme
new poster

so, if i understand correctely the subtle pop (be it a fluctuation, whatever) actually is always present when the vfd is activating.
this way it aint a prob at home if the player is set to 0dB and the amps volume is rather low, but it is a problem in th car where you regulate the volume using the empeg.
so the amplifier is actually amplyfing the pop so its all up to what the input gain of your car amp is set to.
so wouldnt it solve the prob if the empeg wouldn't turn the amp on over the remote line while booting ?

#21295 - 30/10/2000 15:18 Re: Power On Thump (Again) [Re: jme]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

so the amplifier is actually amplyfing the pop so its all up to what the input gain of your car amp is set to.

Go to the "FAQ" section of this BBS and look for a thread about "common installation problems" or something like that. There is a section on how to properly tune your car amplifiers' input gains.

Right now, when you play the Empeg in your car, what it the absolute loudest you would ever turn up the Empeg's volume under normal circumstances? If it's anything less than 0db, then you need to go tune your amp's gain properly.

After you've done that, if you still get a pop, then we need to look at other possible problems.

#21296 - 31/10/2000 10:51 Re: Power On Thump (Again) [Re: tfabris]
jme
new poster

Actually is seem as if the problem lied within the installation, after changing my amp (which was pretty crappy) to a better one the empeg boots up just fine. The new amp has listed 'pop-noise-cancelation' listed in a features list.
i dont know wheter it is actually the higher quality amp (higher power so the input gain be set lower too, which are now proberly adjusted thanks 2 tony) or if its that anti-pop feature that solved my problem.
In either way, i'm pretty happy now.

Oh yeah, ... Thank you Tony.
Your patience is admirable.

#21297 - 31/10/2000 10:58 Re: Power On Thump (Again) [Re: jme]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thank you Tony. Your patience is admirable.

You're welcome. And it's easy to be patient with people who ask intelligent questions. My patience is only short when dealing with stupidity and ignorance. Fortunately, those things are nowhere to be found on this BBS. Can't say the same for my work environment, though...