Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#22085 - 08/11/2000 13:32 Stuttering MKII
masteriou
new poster

Loc: Austria
Since one or two weeks I'm experiencing a "stuttering" from the MKII when the next song is loading. This is not happening every time, but approximately at 3 out of 5 songs. Currently there are about 22GB occupied on a 36BG system. As there is currently no possibility to backup my disks I'm getting a bit NERVOUS! Has anybody had any similar experiences? PLEASE HELP!

Mike
...mkII 36gb blue...

#22086 - 08/11/2000 13:47 Re: Stuttering MKII [Re: masteriou]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
Just a guess, but it sounds like the player might be running out of RAM.
Are you running any other programs, or have you reduced the cache size?
Maybe run a memory check on the player (requiring Developer image)

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#22087 - 08/11/2000 15:22 Re: Stuttering MKII [Re: masteriou]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Since one or two weeks I'm experiencing a "stuttering" from the MKII when the next song is loading. This is not happening every time, but approximately at 3 out of 5 songs.

This usually indicates a hardware problem of some kind. Assuming that you haven't loaded any third-party software onto the unit, and assuming that the MP3 files are good files, then contact [email protected] as soon as possible.

As there is currently no possibility to backup my disks I'm getting a bit NERVOUS!

Since you can't retrieve the files from the Empeg, you can't count it as a "backup" of your MP3 files. Therefore it is always a good practice to keep a second retrievable copy of your MP3 files anyway. Either by leaving them on your PC's hard disk, or by backing them up onto some other medium (such as a CD-R or a tape drive) before deleting them from the PC.

When I lost one of my empeg's disk drives, it was merely an inconvenience because I still had all my MP3s sitting on my PC -- I only had to reorganize my playlists a bit.

#22088 - 09/11/2000 13:40 Re: Stuttering MKII [Re: tfabris]
masteriou
new poster

Loc: Austria
I'm not really nervous because of the loss of all my data, it is also because of having to organize all my files one more time.
Are there any plans to allow the system to read the playlist which can be generated by emplode? This could also be very helpful in organizing the playlist (order of songs, artist, source, ...). If you have ever loaded the .csv-file in MS-Excel you know what I mean...

regards

Mike

36gblue

#22089 - 09/11/2000 13:59 Re: Stuttering MKII [Re: masteriou]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Are there any plans to allow the system to read the playlist which can be generated by emplode?

Right now, Emplode doesn't have any way of re-importing the CSV file.

One suggestion that I keep repeating is: Organize your MP3 folders on your PC in a similar way to the empeg's playlists. That way, if you have to rebuild the Empeg, it's not as hard because you can just drag and drop folders for the most part.

Since everything on my PC and my Empeg was organized by artist/album, it was fairly simple to rebuild my Empeg after losing my hard disk. I only needed to re-create my "mood" playlists by hand. For that, yes, it would have been nice if Emplode could have restored a backup of the database.

But one thing making such a restoration difficult is the fact that the database only links to FIDS, not to song names. So after I re-upload all of the music files following a drive crash, then all the FIDS are different so re-importing the database would have the playlists pointing to all the wrong songs. I'm not sure there's any easy way to resolve that.

#22090 - 10/11/2000 03:01 Re: Stuttering MKII [Re: masteriou]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I'm seeing a similar effect on my Mk1 using V1.01.

It is not as frequent as you are currently observing, but it is repeating. It usually results in a lockup of the player.

I would suggest you observe it for a while longer, then report your findings to [email protected].

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#22091 - 10/11/2000 10:41 Re: Stuttering MKII [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I would suggest you observe it for a while longer, then report your findings to [email protected].

I've heard rumors that there is one known (very rare) playback bug in 1.01. However, these descriptions of stuttering and lockups sound more serious than that. They really sound like hardware problems to me, and for that reason, you should be contacting [email protected] rather than the bugs address. The bugs address goes to the programmers, and they can't do anything about hardware problems ("not my job").

Then again, I could be completely wrong and these could be the verysame known bug in 1.01. Since I've never experienced the bug, I don't know what it looks like.

Empeg guys, could you clarify what you think is going on here?