Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25432 - 22/01/2001 16:33 Duplicate Files
millhouse
new poster

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
How does the empeg handle duplicate files? If I have the same song in two lists... does it actually save 2 copies, or just reference to the original?

If not, it would be a cool idea for future releases... to have shortcuts to songs that are already on the empeg. I sometimes like to have one song in a couple or more playlists, and there's no reason to save 3 copies of the same song and take up all that space.

It'd be nice to be able to have the same song in different lists, without saving duplicate copies and also without having empeg "find" the song that number of times... like if I have one Jimmy Buffett song in 3 lists and search for songs by Jimmy Buffett, I only want it to display 1 song, not 3 of the same songs!

Anyway, maybe this post should be in the wishlist!

#25433 - 22/01/2001 16:41 Re: Duplicate Files [Re: millhouse]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey, there's this wonderful thing called a FAQ that dionysus and I work really hard at maintaining.

And just recently, (within the last couple weeks in fact), I just added an entry which covers your very question. How 'bout that?

Welcome to the BBS, by the way.

#25434 - 22/01/2001 20:01 Re: Duplicate Files [Re: tfabris]
millhouse
new poster

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Sorry bout that, I read the FAQ when I got the unit 3 or 4 weeks ago and did not see that. I was not aware that the FAQ was updated so frequently... nice work!

Anyway, looks like I did it the bad way, uploading songs twice. I'll have to try the method you recommend.

-Brad-

Brad Miller | BradNet.com

#25435 - 22/01/2001 20:47 Re: Duplicate Files [Re: millhouse]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I was not aware that the FAQ was updated so frequently... nice work!

Thanks. We aim to please.

Funny thing is, when the idea of a BBS "greatest hits FAQ" was first suggested, I was opposed to the idea. I thought it would be much better served by a properly maintained web page.

But now I see how useful and flexible it can be in that format. The only limitation is that we can't sort and categorize it easily because it's just a moderated message board. Still, it seems to get the job done.

#25436 - 22/01/2001 21:01 Re: Duplicate Files [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
And the cool thing is, the guy who posted that question a few weeks ago (me) is also named Brad! :)

Brad Barbaza

12gig Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com