Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#31104 - 14/05/2001 23:39 Help - pops/clicks... bad ram?
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

I've had my MK2 for awhile now without any major problems. Serial Number 80000280, version 1.02.

The past few days my empeg seems to be giving random clicks/pops during playback. Today has been the worst, it seems like it is progressively getting worse. Today while playing a song it made a very strange screeching/static noise and froze the player for 6-7 seconds. The next/pause buttons did not respond. After the pause, it returned to playing the song normally.

I’m very sure these pops are not poorly encoded mp3s. I’ve listened to the songs many times before without noticing the clicks/pops, so I know they are encoded properly.

I’ve attached the bootup log along with the ram test log (Ctrl+t) and they appear to be ok.

Is this bad ram? Any ideas on anything else I can look for?

I have not reported this to empeg yet. I guess I have to go through Rio customer support now. Is that correct?

Tom

Attachments
30230-empeg log.txt (84 downloads)

#31105 - 15/05/2001 01:32 Re: Help - pops/clicks... bad ram? [Re: charcoalgray99]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
[email protected] and [email protected] are handled by the empeg customer service team, so the addresses are new but the level of service should be what you're used to.

That fault does sound like RAM but I would have expected a RAM test failure - did you run the test while the player was warm? i.e. let it play until the problem starts, then immediately run the test.

Rob

#31106 - 15/05/2001 07:59 Re: Help - pops/clicks... bad ram? [Re: rob]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

Thanks Rob. You are correct, when I ran the test the player was cooled off because it was sitting for awhile. It also seemed to behave pretty good while it was at home, not in the car. I'm going to listen to it more today at work and report it later with more info.

Thanks
Tom

#31107 - 15/05/2001 10:13 Re: Help - pops/clicks... bad ram? [Re: charcoalgray99]
tadzio
journeyman

Loc: Munich. Germany
Funny you mention this today - the exact same thing happened with my empeg. I ran the RAM test several times - it was okay at 38 (as reported by the test routine), and started failing at 44. At this temperature, it failed every time, but always at different places.
TNT is going to pick the unit up tomorrow for a warranty repair.

Daniel

---
"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features."

#31108 - 15/05/2001 16:41 Re: Help - pops/clicks... bad ram? [Re: rob]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

Well I listened all day and for some reason it behavied ok. When I got home I did another memory test, and at 51 degrees it looks like it passed.

Any ideas? Should I report this or just keep an eye on it? I would like to prevent it from happening again, however I don't want to send it in for repair if it can not be duplicated on the test bench.

Tom

Attachments
30308-newlog.txt (87 downloads)

#31109 - 15/05/2001 23:55 Re: Help - pops/clicks... bad ram? [Re: charcoalgray99]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
It is a little know fact that over the past 30 years all manufacteurs of electrical goods have been forced into installing a small chip that picks up your brain waves and when you want the unit to fail it picks this up from your transmitted brain waves and will work 100%. I have seen this effect many times when trying to get marine electronics to fail when being bench tested

#31110 - 16/05/2001 02:31 Re: Help - pops/clicks... bad ram? [Re: thinfourth2]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
It's the same chip that times out just after your warranty period.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg