Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#31284 - 20/05/2001 05:27 Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
Hi all,

Back in August 2000, I received my mk2 player with v1.0 of the software on a Verbatim CDR with a cd-label attached to it.
Since that time I started downloading empeg related stuff from the Internet, such as betas and new versions of empeg software as well as third party utilities and apps.
I assume that with the last released version 1.02 there were new cds burned/pressed. Wouldn't it be nice to have some sort of special 'Amersfoort 2001' edition installation cd v1.02, maybe v1.03????

What I'm thinking of is the standard installation cd combined with:

- archive of the latest version, though removed www.empeg.com site, just for good'ol memories
- archive of unofficial bbs up until now
- archive of developer bbs up until now
- archive of the geek site up until now
- third party utilities and apps, such as logo-edit, displayserver etc.
- latest betas
- hidden features & tips & tricks guide(s), tutorials
- other interesting stuff

Oh well, it's all just an idea! I'm curious what you empeg/rio guys are thinking of this as well as anyone who's reading this post....

Greetz,
Edwin

mk2 rev.7 "Trillian" ser# 080000263 blue/red

#31285 - 20/05/2001 05:31 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: edwin]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Sounds like a fine idea to me but what i want to know is where did you get that cool animated picture from

#31286 - 20/05/2001 05:41 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: thinfourth2]
edwin

I copied it from a friend's PC. Don't know where he got it from...
Here's another rather nice one

mk2 rev.7 "Trillian" ser# 080000263 blue/red

#31287 - 20/05/2001 06:02 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: edwin]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
I you made the white pixels transparent, it would even be cooler...

Frank van Gestel

#31288 - 20/05/2001 06:14 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: fvgestel]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Could this be a new record totally off topic in two posts

#31289 - 20/05/2001 07:10 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: thinfourth2]
edwin

You started it!
I think it's a record yes!

And Frank. I am changing the logo as you wished, my master.... Are you also coming to Amersfoort?

---------

So, has anyone else read my original posting. I thought it was a good idea...
Let's wait till Tuesday for replies from the empeg/rio guys.

Grrrrrrrr.
Edwin

Proud owner of a mk2 rev.7 "Trillian" ser# 080000263 blue/red

#31290 - 20/05/2001 08:42 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: edwin]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
If you made the white pixels transparent, it would even be cooler...
And Frank. I am changing the logo as you wished, my master....
hehe, I was just thinking out loud.
Are you also coming to Amersfoort?
Most certainly. and I expect to stay a little longer than last year also. What's served for dinner? I'm a picky eater.
BTW, are the empeg guys bringing a receiver? I could show displayserver for receiver. look here for a screenshot.
So, has anyone else read my original posting. I thought it was a good idea...
It is a good idea, but I think it is a lot of work. Not to collect all the stuff and burn a CD, but also getting permission from all owners of the collection that is going to be distributed. I don't personally mind if the content of my website gets distributed offline. Well, If they took my software to remote control the LCD-display of a nuclear rocket or something, I would mind. I'm not even sure if everything on my website is completely valid content. If not, people can contact me about it and I will remove or adjust it.

Frank van Gestel

#31291 - 20/05/2001 09:44 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: fvgestel]
edwin

I'm a picky eater
Hey, as we say in Dutch "Je moet eten wat de pot schaft!".

Nice screenshot of displayserver for rio receiver. I sincerely hope they bring a receiver, you're entitled to win a prize this time!

About the compilation cd. I don't think there's much work to it. If people like yourself provide me with the ready-to-put-on-cd packages, I can put them together with a HTML or so menu structure on a cd. You could compare it with some sort of shareware collection. At least it gives me something to do for the meet.

Still haven't figured out how to change the white background to transparancy without cutting and pasting the music note into a new gif animation, which is a lot of work. Looked further into the image properties and found the website from which it originally came.
Then downloaded the transparent version! Hope I've satified you enough this time.... (ahem)

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 Trillian ser# 080000263 blue/red

#31292 - 20/05/2001 13:18 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: edwin]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I have to confess, this sounds like a good idea, one that I hadn't considered.

However, I have to be honest - there's absolutely no way I could prepare something like this before next Sunday, even if I had access and permission to get to all the material you mentioned. Don't forget, this is a privately organised event, empeg/Rio are being generous and supportive, but nothing else (apart from supply the marvellous {censored} for the first prize!). Also, I would have to cough up a fair bit of cash to make them up - 50 free copies of CD-ROMs in jewel cases? Hmmm, I'd better start saving....

Also, don't forget, the BBS site is based on an SQL database, and the data is served up and formatted by a server process written in PHP. I have no idea about how we could produce an archive from the site, and permission from PaulH would be needed, as well as his assistance.

In general, I think it's a great idea so I will bear it in mind for EOM3 in October this year. Sorry it can't work this time, but let me work on it!

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#31293 - 20/05/2001 13:59 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: schofiel]
edwin

There's absolutely no way I could prepare something like this before next Sunday
You are right. As far as I am concerned, good things always come last.

I would have to cough up a fair bit of cash to make them up - 50 free copies of CD-ROMs in jewel cases? Hmmm, I'd better start saving....
You're on the wrong track on this one! Don't worry about the costs involved, that's my 'problem'!

the BBS site is based on an SQL database.... permission from PaulH would be needed, as well as his assistance
Without any doubt I agree with you on this one.

Let alone the fact that it is next to impossible to prepare it for the coming EOM2, I wouldn't mind releasing such a CD afterwards. Then I could put the photos of this day on it, another nice feature....

I am well aware I cannot do all this by myself, so much acceptance and contribution is needed here. Anyone willing to make an ISO of his/her v1.02 installation cd that I can download? Just for an initial compilation cd....

BTW, Rob, is it legal to do so? I'm not facing some sort of law suit here, am I?

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 Trillian ser# 080000263 blue/red

#31294 - 20/05/2001 17:10 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: edwin]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

EOM3 how about having it in the uk and rob could arrange a factory tour where we can see rio cars being born and maybe hide a few under our coats on the way out.

#31295 - 21/05/2001 04:54 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: edwin]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Erm, I think you better talk with me before you start burning CD's with our stuff - that's the kind of thing Rio would probably want to know about.

There will be a 1.03 CD distributed with the tuner module.

Rob

#31296 - 21/05/2001 04:59 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: fvgestel]
rob
carpal tunnel

We will bring a Receiver - we'll show it doing some cool stuff also.

Rob

#31297 - 21/05/2001 08:48 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: rob]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
Will you please stop it Rob, you know what you are doing, and you know how much trouble I will get in with the g-f if I *have* to go to this meet.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 64gig Red S/No.341 2xDell RioReceiver

#31298 - 21/05/2001 10:09 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: mardibloke]
rob
carpal tunnel

Punch and pie!

#31299 - 21/05/2001 14:39 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: mardibloke]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Well, just think about all those excellent prizes, competitions, food, good company, gossip with like-minded people, Frank's new software, the empeg crew, special announcements, good weather, ice-cream and beer outside in the sun, special event-only previews, and the chance to win a...

Ooops! Nearly gave away the game there, didn't I!

Be there in Emiclaer, or be square

#31300 - 21/05/2001 17:52 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: schofiel]
rob
carpal tunnel

and the chance to win a...

Rob, you never know, we might just give away two of the .. you know whats

Rob

#31301 - 21/05/2001 20:52 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: schofiel]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
In reply to:

Also, don't forget, the BBS site is based on an SQL database, and the data is served up and formatted by a server process written in PHP. I have no idea about how we could produce an archive from the site, and permission from PaulH would be needed, as well as his assistance.

You'd also need the permission of everybody whose posts you were wanting to duplicate.

Nicholas.

--
18GB red s/n 080000299, original pos'n 8724. Reproduction of this post is not permitted.

#31302 - 22/05/2001 00:28 Re: Suggestion for the 2nd European Empeg Owners Meet [Re: rob]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

TWO! What, you mean as well as the censored?

I am impressed, sir, impressed!