Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33453 - 28/06/2001 09:35 SONICblue interview
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Lots of car player discussion, and - erm - various other things

http://biz.yahoo.com/oo/010627/60589.html

Rob

#33454 - 28/06/2001 09:37 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: rob]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Argh, of course I can't get it to play on my Linux browser. Will they never learn?

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue & Red - 080000431

#33455 - 28/06/2001 10:26 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: EngelenH]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
I'm running netscape 4.77 on redhat 6.2, with realplayer 8, and the plugin.. actualy.. i think the realplayer plugin is realplayer 7. works great.. :)

12gig red mk2 -- 080000125

#33456 - 28/06/2001 10:27 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: rob]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Very interesting stuff, Rob. So there's a server in beta testing? How is this different than the Rio receiver? I'm assuming this is what you were alluding to in the thread about the HP device.

Thank god I'm allowed to listen to this stuff at work

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#33457 - 28/06/2001 10:29 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: Dignan]
rob
carpal tunnel

There's nothing in testing that I can talk about. I guess that's why we have a CEO.

Rob

#33458 - 28/06/2001 14:25 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: rob]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
So that is what you are making it sounds very cool looks like i will have to start saving my pennys can't wait for you to tell us all the nitty gritty so will it upload to the empeg or can't you tell us that

#33459 - 28/06/2001 14:50 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: thinfourth2]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
so will it upload to the empeg or can't you tell us that

I could swear he covered that in the interview.

#33460 - 28/06/2001 15:02 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: tfabris]
Derek
addict

Loc: NRW, Germany
OK, for those of you who can't or don't want to listen to a real media stream, here are a few bits and pieces I picked up (hope I got it right ).

SonicBlue have a server in beta testing that will serve to the RioReciever and the empeg/RioCar, at least some time in the future. The first version will use this funny phone line networking that the Americans seem keen on, but they are also working on networking solutions that use power circuits and WaveLan.

There seemed to be plans to produce a RioCar with WaveLan too, as well as an OEM solution - there are discussions taking place with a major automotive manufacturer.

A pity he didn't mention empeg though - said they had been shipping the RioCar for a couple of months, which is technically true, but the hardware itself has been shipping much longer than that! Anyone got more to add?

(list 6284, Mk1 S/N 00299 4GB blue [for sale]. Mk2 S/N 080000094 6GB blue)

#33461 - 28/06/2001 16:57 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: Derek]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
Is this the SQL-server I heard rumour about on the receiver BBS? or is some *other* protocol used?

Frank van Gestel

#33462 - 29/06/2001 12:23 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: Derek]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The CEO also talked about some future possibilities with the ReplayTV technology they own now. If I caught the hint right, there may be a server-receiver type setup for video down the road. Very cool indeed, I just hope they get some integration with satellite providers. I would find it awesome to have one system in the living room, and be able to watch any pre-recorded program in my bedroom.

#33463 - 29/06/2001 12:37 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: drakino]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Maybe you could have the empeg feeding one of those little tft screens via the ethernet connection and wee decoder thingy off in the distant futre

#33464 - 29/06/2001 13:19 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Another non-car player topic was the announcement of a DVD/VCR combo machine.

Frankly, I think this is a bad idea

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#33465 - 29/06/2001 15:19 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: Dignan]
rob
carpal tunnel

This isn't new - it's a Sensory Science product, whom we just acquired. They also developed Rave MP3 products, but those have now been discontinued.

Rob

#33466 - 29/06/2001 19:40 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Frankly, I think this is a bad idea

What, I suppose you think a combination 8-track/cassette player wouldn't be a good idea either, then?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#33467 - 30/06/2001 01:01 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: Derek]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA (formerly Houston,...
He also said that the server thing will have internet access. I thought it was interesting how it was emphazised that the rio car and rio reciever (even more so) are designed to use this server as their main source of music. He said something to the effect of "until this server thing comes out you can use your regular computer as a server."

#33468 - 30/06/2001 22:00 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Sorry about the blunt statement. I guess I can see some appeal to the idea. Although, I usually buy DVDs that I would want to watch more than once, and I've often been under the state of mind that something that does multiple things doesn't do all of them well. I'd love to see the specs for the unit Rio is producing!

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#33469 - 30/06/2001 22:08 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I would say anything with a VCR built in is bad because the VCR wii break in a year

Matt

#33470 - 01/07/2001 00:55 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: msaeger]
EngelenH
enthusiast

I see I am not the only one that has that problem ... Christ the money I have spent on VCRs. I could have bought 2 new empegs for that. Take the Sony SLV-625 I have in front of me right now. Was a really expensive bugger. Still works but if you record something with it, you get interference, color going in and out, bad audio etc. It still plays okay and serves as a tuner for my Alpha when I want to capture a TV show but that is it. And this was like their flagship VCR at the time for crying out loud. I had it only 2 weeks when I clued in to the bad recording problem and returned it for warranty repair. It was gone for several weeks, came back and worked only marginally better after that. But it never did work ok. I think I have had like 12 VCRs over as many years. Then I just gave up. After the Sony which was the last one I bought, and I choose that one because I though if I take the more expensive one I will be less likely to deliver bad quality, I decided that was it for me.

On a side note, as it happens I ordered a WinTV-PVR card yesterday. That's a TV card but with built in MPEG1 and MPEG2 encoder allowing you to record directly in MPEG. With a little luck this will be my next VCR. I was thinking of something like the Tivo's and ReplayTV's but I feel it is not yet adjusted to the European market well enough. And I want to be able to stuff my recordings on say a VCD. Which you can do with Tivo and probably also ReplayTV but it's al a litle dubious I gathered sofar.

Cheers,
Hans

#33471 - 01/07/2001 01:34 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: EngelenH]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I was told, many years ago, that when you buy VCR's, you should buy ones made by Matsushita or any of their sub-companies. For instance, Panasonic is one of the sub-companies of Matsushita. I'm pretty sure Sony is not a sub-company of Matsushita.

Reason: I was told that the VCR transport mechanisms made by Matsushita are the most reliable. We have a Panasonic VCR that's been going strong for something like 7-8 years or something like that.

#33472 - 01/07/2001 01:45 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

... when you buy VCR's...,

Don't even consider buying a VCR.

The hard-disk TV recorders (TiVo, RePlay) are so totally, overwhelmingly superior to a VCR in every respect that a VCR shouldn't even be on your list of last-resort options.

Even if you didn't use the TiVo and RePlay scheduling services, just used the machine as a "dumb" recorder it would still be superior, and when you do use their service... it's like the empeg, you won't really "get it" until you actually get your hands on one and use it for a day or so, then you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

If you like your empeg, you'll love a Tivo or RePlay.

tanstaafl.

#33473 - 01/07/2001 07:31 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: tanstaafl.]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Hmmm, I might have to look further I see. Still with no local dealers around I find it a little tricky.

Hans

#33474 - 01/07/2001 09:40 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I can't WAIT to get a Tivo. Hell, my girlfriend can't wait for me to get a Tivo!

The only problem is that I have yet to see if a phone line can be installed by my TV. I'm having the phone company come out anyway for some other business, so we'll see...

I forget who linked that refurbished model to me in the other thread on this subject, but thank you! That'll be really helpful on my budget.

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#33475 - 01/07/2001 11:09 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: Dignan]
EngelenH
enthusiast

In reply to:

Refurbished ?

oooooooh any more of those ?

Hans

#33476 - 01/07/2001 12:36 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: Dignan]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
you won't regret getting a TiVo.. I'm watching MST3k that was on at 8am on saturday.. MST3k is much better for watching on a lazy sunday afternoon of cleaning the house.
don't worry too much about the phone line.. it comes with a huge 50' cord. :)

12gig red mk2 -- 080000125

#33477 - 01/07/2001 14:46 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: EngelenH]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

oooooooh any more of those ?

Here

But I'll be pissed if you take the last one before I get a chance to buy one!

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#33478 - 01/07/2001 21:28 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: tanstaafl.]
dmz
journeyman

Loc: Pasadena, California, USA
Don't even consider buying a VCR.

The hard-disk TV recorders (TiVo, RePlay) are so totally, overwhelmingly superior to a VCR in every respect that a VCR shouldn't even be on your list of last-resort options.

I'd agree with you completely, except for 2 things:

1. Recording quality on both ReplayTV and TiVo is pretty terrible unless you use the highest quality mode; and even then, there are obvious visual artifacts which simply don't exist on an SVHS VCR (which can generally be had now for under $200). These artifacts are even worse if you're recording off DSS - source -> MPEG/2 VBR -> S-Video -> MPEG/2 CBR. Of course, the DirectTV/TiVo (or UltimateTV, if you're into that sort of thing ;) solves the latter nicely by just recording the digital stream.

2. You can't easily archive things for long-term future use, unless you either add drive space (like making a ReplayTV that can store 40-60 high quality hours) and simply leave things on the unit, or dump them to videotape (in which case you still need a VCR). Sure, you _can_ grab the digital video directly off one and use a DVD burner or downconvert it to VideoCD or SVCD, but that involves a lot of effort.

Don't get me wrong - I own both a ReplayTV (currently a big useless brick, since its modem is broken, but I'll be sending it away for repairs soon) and a DirecTV/TiVo (bought to substitute for the ReplayTV brick :), and I love both of them. They totally change the way you watch TV. But a VCR is still necessary for anything that needs to be kept long-term, if you watch a lot of TV.

-----
Daniel M. Zimmerman, Caltech Computer Science
Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB
Mk.1 #00101, 10GB
Daniel M. Zimmerman Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#33479 - 01/07/2001 23:35 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: EngelenH]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

[i...]with no local dealers around...

Forget local dealers... try here

They're even offering a $100 rebate and free shipping (oops, free shipping offer expired three hours ago, sorry...) and their service is extraordinarily professional and of the highest quality.

Oh, and forget the $100 rebate, too. Get a coupon for a $100 mail-in rebate when you order the SVR-2000! (Valid through 6/30/01.)

Perhaps I should amend what I said to say that "...their service is sort of professional..."

tanstaafl.

#33480 - 01/07/2001 23:43 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: dmz]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I'd agree with you completely, except for 2 things:

Both of your points are excellent.

I forget that not everybody watches television the way I do... I don't subscribe to cable TV, I just watch what the local stations offer, and their signal quality is marginal even with a gigantic outdoor antenna on my roof. I find that recording at the lowest quality setting on the TiVo is indistinguishable from watching it live, so the quality issue never even occurred to me.

And since I only watch local TV, the concept of archiving something on a more or less permanent basis never occurred to me either. I mean, I should archive some dreary sit-com or mind-numbing drama that will be repeated in six months as a re-run anyway?

What I love about TiVo is that I haven't watched a television commercial since January. Which, now that I think about it, may not be such an advantage -- the commercials are probably more entertaining than most of the programming I get...

It's nice having the TiVo "take care of me" by recording anything and everything it thinks I might like -- once I've told it the kind of programming I like to watch, it hunts it down and records it for me with no intervention on my part, so I never miss anything I want to see.

As TiVo says in their advertising, once you have TiVo, you won't watch television anymore. You'll watch TiVO.

tanstaafl.

#33481 - 02/07/2001 02:45 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: tanstaafl.]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Well, sounds good, but can I use it ... If it is just to be a dumb VCR (considering it seems unlikely that Tivo Service or whatever it is called is offered in Belgium) then my idea of using the WinTV-PVR seems the better one. For me it is a bit of archiving, sometimes shows, sometimes a special news event, the occasional live performance on local stations. You know, nothing big, just something that tickles my fancy. For most shows I like there is already a lot of people that make high quality digital encodings of those already, perfect for what I want (VCD's mostly). Often months before the show even gets to the dark side of the planet i.e. Belgium.

The only thing I am a little worried about is quality of the WinTV-PVR encodings. Like with most product left and right some people have decided the quality of it was bad. I usually tend not to listen to that too much. Let's face it, half those reviews are tainted or incorrect because the reviewer had no idea what he was doing. Even the empeg has had his share of bashing so.

Is there anyone here who can enlighten me as to the Tivo idea. I know there is a lot on the web on it but I just want to know what it is like, does it work without Tivo service and what does it loose in functionality. Is it possible and easy (well for someone like me that is) to get the encodings off for archival purposes etc. Private or email is ok if you feel it is too off-topic.

Cheers,
Hans

#33482 - 02/07/2001 03:21 Re: SONICblue interview [Re: EngelenH]
kimbotha

Loc: London, UK
I would be interested in how well the Tivo works without the subscription service as I can't see the subscription service making it to Australia in the near future either...

Attachments
32909- (110 downloads)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >