Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36057 - 07/08/2001 23:45 48GB IBM TravelStar
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I noticed that cdw.com is list IBM's 48GB TravelStar drive for $450 (noted as "shipping in 6-13 days") and I've got this free drive slot in my empeg...

Anybody successfully purchased, installed, and got one of these beasts to run properly on their empeg? Also, is this drive genuinely available yet, or are they just teasing?

#36058 - 08/08/2001 03:52 Re: 48GB IBM TravelStar [Re: DWallach]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Anybody successfully purchased,

Yes.

installed,

Yes.

and got one of these beasts to run properly on their empeg?

Yes.

Also, is this drive genuinely available yet?

Yes.

Sorry about that. After reading some of Rob's latest posts, I had a sudden burst of brevity.

I am currently running a pair of the 48GB drives. There are a few different threads about my adventures with them on the board.

For the most part, I have not had any problems at all. There is still an outstanding question on if the disk builder software supports drives of this size without causing data errors, but I have not seen any errors of that nature. The install went very smoothly, other than my own idiocity of not seeing hot glue when there was some there.

The builder software seemed to have no trouble with the disks. The drives were built, and stress tested for about 15 minutes each. I know - I should have done it longer... I was in a hurry...

As to operation over the last few weeks, I have had two total problems. Both could be the drives, but are more likely from other sources. First, I had a few files disappear. After checking, I found that all of the missing items were from a two CDR sources with bad blocks. They may never have uploaded successfully. I was able to reload the tracks after getting them (with some difficulty) onto my hard drive. The second was a single lockup during the day at the office. I don't know what caused that, but I was running displayserver and with Code Red bringing parts of the internal network to a crawl...

On the whole, I have had no problems that I would attribute to the disks. If I were to do it again (and I hope I don't have to because of the amount of data uploaded), I would:

a) check for hot glue before trying to pull off a thin ribbon cable...
b) let the stress test run for a while, just for my own sanity
c) keep a log of what was loaded and what errors were seen on my CDRs

As to availability, I have seen them around in a few on line places. One of the treads has more info. Let me know if you have any questions about the drives.

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (96GB Smoke)