Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36716 - 17/08/2001 08:56 Ripping an entire CD at once
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Is there any software that allows an entire CD to be ripped in one go, rather than track by track (which is a really long process with 100's of CD's to do)?

#36717 - 17/08/2001 09:15 Re: Ripping an entire CD at once [Re: furtive]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
On Windows, EAC (Ctrl-A, F5)

On Linux, cdparanoia (cdparanoia -B 1-)

Peter

#36718 - 17/08/2001 09:29 Re: Ripping an entire CD at once [Re: furtive]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
There is an FAQ entry on Ripping to MP3. Suggest you take a look.

However I use Audiograbber with the LAME encoder. Pop a CD in and click GRAB. Does the whole CD.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 64gig Red S/No.341 2xDell RioReceiver

#36719 - 17/08/2001 10:22 Re: Ripping an entire CD at once [Re: furtive]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is there any software that allows an entire CD to be ripped in one go, rather than track by track (which is a really long process with 100's of CD's to do)?

I don't understand your question exactly.

Do you mean...

(a) How do I rip all of the tracks on a CD?
or...
(b) How do I rip an entire CD as if it were one big track instead of several small tracks?

If your question is (a), I don't understand how you could even be asking that. Almost every single piece of ripping software does this by default-- that's the whole point of rippers. The only reason you might be having trouble is if you've got a "demo" version of the software that limits the number of tracks you can rip. This can usually be solved by purchasing the software. Either that or you need to switch to a different (better) piece of software.

If your question is (b), most ripping software allows you to do this pretty easily. For instance, in AudioCatalyst, what you do is uncheck all but one of the tracks. Then you get the properties of the one track and change its start and end points to be the beginning and end of the CD. Then rip that track.

#36720 - 17/08/2001 14:52 Re: Ripping an entire CD at once [Re: tfabris]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Loc: Dover, NJ
uncheck all but one of the tracks. Then you get the properties of the one track and change its start and end points to be the beginning and end of the CD. Then rip that track

Hmmm...I didn't know that. That's quite a useful tip. You learn something new every day. Thanks Tony.

--Chris Willenbrock
MK2 | 12GB | Queue Registration # 2 (really!)

#36721 - 18/08/2001 00:22 Re: Ripping an entire CD at once [Re: cwillenbrock]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

uncheck all but one of the tracks. Then you get the properties of the one track and change its start and end points to be the beginning and end of the CD. Then rip that track

Hmmm...I didn't know that. That's quite a useful tip. You learn something new every day. Thanks Tony.

Though I like Tony's tip, because it works with almost any CD-ripper, I have to recommend EAC (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/) once more. It rips an entire CD at a click of your mouse (well, two actually: Menu:Action->"Copy Image and Create CUE sheet" or ALT-F7). After that, you could use one of various MP3 cutters (like e.g. musicutter) to automatically cut that image into pieces (tracks).

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)

#36722 - 18/08/2001 13:49 Re: Ripping an entire CD at once [Re: tfabris]
DarkStorm
addict

Loc: Pompano Beach, Florida
I think what they were getting at Tony is they want to rip a whole cd as if they were ripping to a single mp3 but have the outcome of of an mp3 for each track. As opposed to the way most rippers do it by ripping the track>converting it>ripping next track>converting it, etc. etc.

Steve

Mark I / #102 / 48g / Smoke / Custom Fascia
Best PC/Audio Investment Ever Made

#36723 - 19/08/2001 03:05 Re: Ripping an entire CD at once [Re: DarkStorm]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Ah, then use EAC, and tell it not to do any encoding. Then, come along later and run LAME on the WAV files.

This is what I did in order to get my CD collection encoded -- I'd rip about 20 CDs a day while at work, and then I'd set LAME going when I left for home. When I got back in the morning, they'd be finished.

A quick drag and drop into emplode, some rsync'ing to move the music to my home PC, and I had enough disk space to do the next batch.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg