I've got a problem I'm hoping someone (like Hugo ;-)) can help me with. Sorry if it's a bit long winded.
The power socket on my Empeg MK2 has been getting looser lately and it's been getting more difficult to actually get the unit to power up. It felt as though the spring contact was losing some of it's erm.. spring!! So I thought I'd attempt to bend the contact back a bit to improve it. I couldn't do anything through the opening so I thought that maybe if I unsoldered it from the mainboard I might be able to get to it from underneath. I unsoldered it but I still couldn't get to the spring contact. I did notice that the central pin was a bit off-centre so I gently coaxed it back to where it should be and the plug from the AC adapter certainly felt a much better fit. I soldered it back in and reassembled the player and everything powered up perfectly. I wiggled the plug and it was like new :-) I checked that it still powered up ok in the car (which it did) and congratulated myself on a job well done. On the drive into work this morning everything was working just as it should be but when I plugged it in on my desk it wouldn't power up at all, no matter how much I fiddled with the plug. I took it apart again to see if I could see anything obvious but without knowing the track layout I couldn't do much. Being a multilayer board you can't follow the tracks. I found two square pads on the board, one with "DC in" marked next to it. One of these was certainly directly connected to the -ve terminal of the socket, I guessed the other one should be connected to the +ve so I put a link wire between the pad and the end contact on the socket and crossed my fingers. I plugged it in and it powered up. Yippee I thought, Oh... it thinks it's in the car. Bugger. So this is the current situation: it thinks it's always in the car. This is the opposite problem to the one Hugo fixed for me once. That turned out to be a broken track from the power socket. Can anyone (ie Hugo) point me to where the problem might be. I expect I've put the link in the wrong place. If you can give me some info on continuity checks etc I would be most grateful.

TIA